Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 06:47:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 8468 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »

I was trying to ignore it, but it was really thrust in our faces down here and after listening to the sheriff defend himself, I have to agree that the judge overdid it by ordering her back in. 

THe sheriff says he can pull a random 50 cases that are extremely similar to Hilton's and most likely not one of them spent even one night in jail.  It was not preferential treatment to let her out early , it was routine overcrowding policy, accentuated by her "mental" problems.  I think it was obvious that he was not on the take, because his continual referring to her "mental problems" definitely would not have pleased the family.  It has been pretty darn quite since then--at least I haven't noticed as much attention.

A local newspaper columnist this morning doing a follow up article on parents who lost all three of their children in a tragic freeway accident, commented on how the true tragedy faced by this family gets almost zero attention while the media focuses on pretend tragedies by Paris Hilton, Linsey Lohan, et al.  If you are a parent, this story could not help but make you cry.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2007, 01:05:01 PM »

Why is the reporter bothering the parents of such a tragedy?
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2007, 04:19:25 PM »

She is too stupid or too reckless to know that driving DUI and with a suspended license, while on probation is wrong and criminal.  Obviously, the only way to get her to wake up was to jail her.

What if she killed someone while loose?   Ditto alcoholics who are not sent to jail?  They go out and continue to drive drunk until they kill someone (usually the other driver and passengers, rather than themselves).

Hilton repeatedy continued her actions of disregarding her probation and altering her behavior.

Maybe it was time to set a standard that being a celebrity does not get you off the hook.  The whole thing is one sorry mess.  I don't understand why a sheriff can disregard a judge's order, which is more problemmatic for me. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2007, 08:25:47 PM »

The sheriff has sole authority over the custody and conditions of the inmates in county jail.   He was completely within his rights to "reassign" her to house arrest.   He held her in County for three days longer than the average similar offender.

The fact is she was treated differently than a "regular" person.  Much more harshly...   The "judge" has some other issue going on that I'm sure will be coming out before too long.
tjaxon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2007, 08:39:38 PM »

What if she killed someone while loose?   Ditto alcoholics who are not sent to jail? 

Maybe it was time to set a standard that being a celebrity does not get you off the hook.  The whole thing is one sorry mess.  I don't understand why a sheriff can disregard a judge's order, which is more problemmatic for me.

I might agree if she had been arrested for DUI, but she was arrested for driving on a suspended license. Over 80% of those arrested on the same charge serve 4 days. Does being a celebrity entitle one to a harsher sentence? It seems most people are just upset because they don't like Hilton, which is quite understandable - she is a silly twit.

The sheriff does have the right to release prisoners early under certain circumstances in most jurisdictions. The state of California has built more prisons than schools for over 8 years now, and routinely give early release to minor offenders. I find it more problematic that a judge would allow personal animosity to affect sentencing than a sheriff trying to make room for serious criminals.

We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2007, 09:34:38 AM »

I find it more problematic that a judge would allow personal animosity to affect sentencing than a sheriff trying to make room for serious criminals.

Ditto here...

and let's remember, it was not a "release" it was house arrest with an electronic ankle bracelet
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2007, 09:36:04 AM »

Though, I hear the idiot was clueless enough to throw a party at her house the first night she was home...which frankly woudl tick me off also if I was the judge...
lulu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2007, 09:47:38 AM »

House arrest in a multi-million dollar home with swimming pools, saunas, friends coming in for partying?

That's a real punishment.  For us peons, it would be; I would go stir crazy. 

But that's not a real punishment for her.  And I don't know what would make her realize the severity ofher offence: dirving with a suspended license (which was given for a reason; DUI offenses.  She seems to think it's a joke and everyone can be bought off.

I don't feel sorry for this girl (I can't get myself to call her a woman).  She gets too much attention anyway.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »

I don't disagree Lulu...

I think pehaps you could have expected house arrest to be a fairly hard punishment for someone that is so obviously extraverted and attention seeking as her...however, it probably never occured to anyone that she could simply bring the party and the photographers to herself and didn't need to go out.

THat as much as anything probably prompted the recall by the judge and the subsequent hands off approach by the sheriff's office.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »

Well there's also the part about when the judge agreed to the shortened sentence as a plea bargain, he specified that she could not serve home detention, so the Sherrif acted in direct contravention of a court order.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2007, 02:16:55 PM »

I think some of you are missing the point that she was jailed for violating probation.  The standard sentence here in the Atlanta area for violating probation is 31 days and they do enforce it - my own daughter did something similar to Paris.  She was on probation for drinking underage and she was remanded to the court for failure to pay her probation fees and for lying when she took her drug evaluation.  So she was jailed without even committing a criminal offense - why should people find it so unreasonable that a person on probation for DUI who gets caught driving with a suspended license has their probation revoked?  That is essentially what happened to our Paris - personally I'm glad to see the judge treating her just like everyone else.  I don't think she's being made an example of at all.
tjaxon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2007, 02:29:04 PM »

That is essentially what happened to our Paris - personally I'm glad to see the judge treating her just like everyone else.  I don't think she's being made an example of at all.

That is the whole point - she is being treated more harshly than most. The  sentence for over 80% of those who commit the same offense is 4 days incarceration where she lives.

I'm not defending Paris. Frankly, I am not impressed with her or her life style, and don't consider her a role model or example for anyone who lives in the real world. I do find it amusing that some of the nicest, most gentle people get so bent out of shape over the perception that she might actually get preferential treatment (which, of course, anyone with her money and notoriety usually does) when in truth she isn't in this particular case. I don't know whether it is envy or resentment, or what, but a lot of peoplem are building some negative karma over an insignificant event from someone who has no affect on their lives. Why?

We cannot change the direction of the wind... but we can adjust our sails.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2007, 11:06:57 AM »

Sentencing harsher because of her actions in court.
Detective_Winslow

Don't forget to bring a towel!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2007, 02:36:58 PM »

That stupid spoiled whore should be locked up for at least a year considering how many times she's been busted driving shit-faced.  If that dumb slut wants to starve herself--LET HER!  See how long she would really keep that up.

I hope that I haven't offended anyone.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »

tjaxson,  "HEAR! HEAR!"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: