Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 22, 2018, 09:12:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 8420 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »

How true, dzimas,re: bad television

As to,"...we made it into a party.  I suppose one could do the same waiting for a glimpse of Paris." That's the whole point. Not the girl wonder. She goes to places that they can't afford to get into, thus she fulfills a wish fulfillment.  Paris gets drunk because there are so many new clubs, just as she said, at which your publicist expects you to arrive, and she drinks just as River Phoenix did (plus the back room, in coffee-house days, we had one affectionately named The Fornicatorium)before he ended up on the pavement with Joaquim trying desperately to revive him.

That's the upshot of being a child star or a young ingenue. People forget that Drew Barrymore (who had a lovely father named John with piercing blue eyes and who also got to play Christ thus ruining his career) was in rehab before she barely got started because she came from an alcoholic line of actors beyond reproach. The family's great star was the royal of alcoholics, which loosens you up when you get stage fright, and yet I often wondered as a kid watching those Lionel Barrymore performances and the great lady Ethel on occasion, as to why they seemed a trifle reflective in the delivery of their lines.  Of course, Lionel could toss it aside,as you've probably seen him play Rasputin opposite Ethel and John at the Czar's court; he could just chalk it up to the character.

River seemed to have a great brooding potential, perhaps another James Dean in the making, what we learned to accept in mental shenanigans from Johnny Depp but will not allow in Keanu Reave. Most kids play from their emotions. What happened with River, turned Joaquim into his fulfillment as a competent sometimes versatile actor with a style of his own. One could also say, what ever happened to Alone at Home now that he starred as Party Monster?

For the kids who stand outside on the other side of the ropes hoping to be gorgeous or dressed scantily outre to pass for fashionable, to be passed in by the bouncers, in hopes of meeting somebody who will fulfill all their dreams, they are still at an age where they identify with a Paris and just want to be like her. Therein lies the rub. They want to be somebody. Somebody recognizable. IF NOBODY HAD PAID THE SLIGHTEST ATTENTION TO Paris Hilton.... But,they did, she's an eligible bacheloress who will turn into a Hollywood wife. Wasn't Nicky Hilton her father?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »

"Sometimes I wonder if these celebrities are nothing more than androids trying to experience real human emotions..."

If celebrities are androids, what does that make their fans who with more than a little help from the press are the ones who decide who is or is not a celebrity?

That's the painful part, I hate to tell Dzimas but the things that Paris said just yesterday as her oath of what she is going to do, are the things that only a publicist could invent. So as not to lose that junior crowd of the androids whose parents are either not in attendence, or busy with their own careers, or across the country in the case of runaways.  To be sure, the publicist knows that Paris has to insure that the parents of her following have the  power to affect what the little darlings see in her. Paris needs them as much as they need her, darlings that is. The Publicist is probably a parent.  In other words, Paris doesn't mean a word of it, all that will be forgotten with the writing of a check sent to one cause or another, and she will resume more discreet partying with the help of a better shrink on a full-time tenure and a personal trainer -- or Orson Welles will come along.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: June 28, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »

Caught the clip of Paris on last night's Larry King where she talked about ordering a Bible from the jail commissary because you can't bring anything into jail with you.   Paris went on to say she read it every day and has always been religious, having attended Catholic schools, etc.  So Larry King asked Paris her favorite passage from the Bible and completely stumped her. After some nervous looking around and shuffling paper, she said she doesn't really have a favorite. 

So....
1) I halfway take back what I said about Larry King in music; and
2) madupont, you are so right when you say In other words, Paris doesn't mean a word of it, all that will be forgotten with the writing of a check sent to one cause or another....
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: June 28, 2007, 12:03:23 PM »

Wait - let me write this down...

MUST be able to quote Scripture to be religious....to be a good practicing Christian.

Got it.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »

Wait - let me write this down...

MUST be able to quote Scripture to be religious....to be a good practicing Christian.

Got it.

Well, then you got it wrong.  Being a heathen, not only do I not have a clue how to judge the quality or quantity of one's Christianity, I don't care how Christian they might or might not be.  However -- if I'd been reading the book every day for three weeks, I might have been able to come up with something, even "Thou shalt not kill"  or "the part where Moses parted the Red Sea" or something.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: June 28, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »

I just explained over in music why Uncle Larry is a doofus. It is possible however that kidcarter is trying to disguise his androidal origins by learning passages of classic things to say in passing in this language by the approved King James version, kind of like a German spy slipping in off the East Coast.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: June 28, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »

Perhaps she really doesn’t have a favorite scripture passage. Of course, if she knew in advance that Larry King was going to give her a pop quiz, I’m sure she would have been better prepared.

Okay, maybe I'm too cynical; because knowing I'm going on Larry King in a high-profile, much-publicized appearance, preparing for a pop quiz is exactly what I would do.  Well, that and expect to be called "George" or something.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: June 28, 2007, 12:45:16 PM »

Perhaps she really doesn’t have a favorite scripture passage. Of course, if she knew in advance that Larry King was going to give her a pop quiz, I’m sure she would have been better prepared.

Harrie, they did a send up of that question using a recording from the Larry King show on a morning radio show this morning - very amusing.  They interspersed it with what Paris might have been really thinking while she was thinking about the questions, etc.

Okay, maybe I'm too cynical; because knowing I'm going on Larry King in a high-profile, much-publicized appearance, preparing for a pop quiz is exactly what I would do.  Well, that and expect to be called "George" or something.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2007, 09:35:34 AM »

Flipping through the channels last night, I happened to find Kevin Federline trying his luck in the wrestling ring.  Seems the guy has now bounds when it comes to incredulous behavior, which I guess goes with the territory of celebreality.  I think this was the point when Andy Kaufman lost all respectability in the entertainment world, going after women in the wrestling ring.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2007, 01:56:37 AM »

So, a grudging sort of respect, then?
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2007, 03:45:14 AM »

I suppose you could call it that.  Depends on how you look at it, but having seen one of these Kaufman wrestling matches, it was pretty pathetic.  Federline looked just about as pathetic in his baggy shorts and shaven head.  At least, Kaufman had some talent before the pinball machine in his head tilted.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2007, 05:27:21 AM »

At least he had a pinball machine to begin with, no doubt, though in terms of shelf-life, the intellectually unscathed have a decicded advantage.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2007, 02:50:17 PM »

Why has nobody come in here to remark on Al Gore's son? Remember the guy who along with Tipper was going to put a stop to dirty lyrics influencing youngsters.  All right, "suggestive" then is dirty now. But typical of his class, Gore's youngster was driving his Prius about 2:30 L.A. time while smoking dope and the ossifer who stopped him found lots of prescription drugs for which young Gore had no prescriptions! Think of that!  This is not a new thing as he already did rehab before he was 20 something and he's 23 now;  he thinks.  This is not really doing much for ecology, in a human sense if you know what I mean. well, what I mean...is that Save the Polar Bears is one thing, but save your fellow man somewhere in your vicinity on the freeway is another. He may have encouraged more people than ever to save money on gas, for all we know....
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2007, 11:52:38 PM »

Yeah, but not just "lots of drugs," but Ritalin, Xanax, Valium, and marijuana, only the last of which I consider a cash crop instead of something they make you go through a doctor to get. 

Point of fact:  Al Gore, Jr., was HOLDING, but not charged with being impaired despite speeding.

[joke] I didn't think those Priuses did 100 but then I've never been, well, yeah, I have...

I kind of feel sorry for him like any rich kid, but it seems like he got the tipper pricktease blonde version of genes, which unfortunately makes babies but prevents the human race from any graceful leap forward.

Lovely you,

jbottle
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2007, 02:10:59 AM »

AG2 does have the stones to say this is the dope i'm about to smoke, and then i'm going to smoke that dope, and then I'm going to drive this car.  The guy has a Secret Service Detail, give me a break with all the pharma and shit?  I'm high and going  100?  The stare down between slayers and regular cops was like two seconds, right, [stare down, after he says who he is...], and other people who would be in regular people jail, which that brother is not...I personally would guess he was punching it on the highway just to see what would happen.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: