Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 25, 2018, 10:09:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 10532 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2007, 09:42:44 AM »

Wow. Somehow I just don't think that when a prisoner is in labor, escaping is high on her "To Do" list.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: July 14, 2007, 11:59:16 AM »

High on the infant's list, though.

In response to "who's the most annoying" poll, I would say that none of them are annoying, because none of them are interesting or worth paying attention to.  Since I am not forced to watch tv or other media with my eyelids taped open, I can just pay no attention to such individuals and be spared any annoyance.  Someone once defined a celebrity as "someone who is famous for being famous" -- probably already been quoted here -- and going with this definition, I can think of no compelling reason to delve into their lives.

That said, I find Angelina Jolie really annoying, from the fake lips to the fake French surname to the fake third world family (c'mon, do you really think those littles one are being raised by Angelina and Brad?  It's all done with smoke and nannies...)  to the fake angst ("my father made me do things I DIDN'T WANT TO DO!") etc. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: July 14, 2007, 02:53:22 PM »

Actually, I think it would be pretty miserable to live and travel in some of the locales that Brangelina visit.  Her mother was French, but not "Jolie," and you can see why she wouldn't want to take her father's name in order to stake out her own territory.  For example, if you asked anyone 25 and under who John Voight is they would likely say "Angelina Jolie's father" instead of "Midnight Cowboy," likewise if you asked people who Angelina Jolie is then they will say "the girl from 'Tomb Raider,' right?" or most commonly "The one with Brad Pitt now..."

The whole central-casting bit of her being the vamp that stole Pitt from poor little girl next door (with $100M) Jenifer Aniston sells magazines but is just a story that makes it easy for people to hate her.  I think Jolie is genuine in her motherly love and generous with her time and money.  Is it ultiamately just to raise her approval ratings?  I think that's pretty cynical, it's pretty easy just to sit in your Malibu digs and chill, but they are going a different way.

The lips are real--the boobs are probably another matter entirely.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #213 on: July 14, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

I could be wrong, but I believe Jolie is Angelina's middle name.  A lot of people use their middle name as a surname if they change their name for professional reasons.  My sister's not a movie star or anything, but that's what she did.  So it's not like Angelina Jolie necessarily picked "Jolie" out of a hat because it sounds French, or chose it because it means pretty so people will always associate her with beauty and they can write headlines like "The Jolie Angelina Jolie" and stuff. 
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: July 14, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »

That said, I find Angelina Jolie really annoying,

Yeah, ok..but her "lips" are real...  please don't spoil it for me...
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: July 14, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »

Did they ever put the James Lippman (no pun intended) interviews for Actors'  Studio on dvd?  If not, maybe the replay will favor you some time with the Jolie interview which is one of the more exasperating things I witnessed on tv. Done not long after Girl Interrupted, Jolie does things like scrunch down in her chair, and appears to be stuck in that over-blown tough girl role of extended adolescence like she could not get rid of it! Whoa.... Either that or she has an extreme inferiority complex that she can't shake by acting or physical prowess at such activities as swinging from vines and straight drops from tall buildings which looks like it is a lot scarier than bungy jumping.

But that was then, and now is now.  She knows when to communicate and when not to, as in, who is boss? Why Robert Di Nero, when it came to: The Good Shepherd publicity interviews

She flatters her old man in publicity (and I am not talking about Voight).
On the other hand, she did cut in on Brad when he was living with Aniston at Montecito.
And when not traveling all over the place with their work or their avocations, they have a terribly expensive home in New Orleans, which is almost a bad example but resulted from work he is doing with a new style of architecture for the rebuilding of housing in New Orleans so that's why the house; where, true, there are nannie-whatsits because the kids are going to the best schools in the city. And that is how it is done down there in La Bas. 
With all that on her mind, she more than occasionally looks superciliously as if she does not plan to make eye contact with you if she can more than likely probably help it.  She does that with the camera where it pays off.  Since I can't see that one at present, jbottle,barton, harrie, and trojan (sounds like a law firm, to me) have got me so worked over about my Angelina ambivalence that if nothing pre-emptive is on the tube tonight, I may tune in and watch what happens with her in a made for HBO with Vanessa Redgrave, known as The Fever, which I haven't gotten around to yet although someone recommended it in these forums.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2007, 02:06:08 AM »

Yeah, don't get that fired up about "The Fever," if only because I don't know what it is.  Trust me on this.
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: July 16, 2007, 12:18:48 PM »

Re Jolie:  I was just attempting to select a name from Liquid's list above, and I know so little about the others on the list (and really, so little about Ms. Pretty...).  My remarks were mostly tongue-in-cheek, as I really know virtually nothing about Ms. Jolie's menage, or menagerie.   Mainly, I find her irritating for no particular reason.   

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »

jbottle, re:#225

"if only because I don't know what it is.  Trust me on this."

Gee whiz, in order to read barton posting today, I inadvertently had a second chance to read what you actually said; although it may be humor personified, trust me on this, another one of our posters highly recommended this HBO feature for what it says about our attitudes toward the rest of the world.  I can assure you, she may very likely be a poster who comes at movie reviews from a different perspective than your own but she is  very obviously much more of a lady about it than I am about my film-observations.

Nevertheless keep up the good work because somebody has to keep track of the darned box office.
elportenito

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2007, 07:24:15 AM »

Paris Hilton
 Jessica Simpson
 Britney Spears
 Angelina Jolie
 Lindsay Lohan

How d'you press all five at once?...
barton
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2007, 10:24:37 AM »

I'd be willing to press against Lindsey Lohan.

(how does the old joke go?  something like --

COP:  Anything you say may be held against you.

SUSPECT:  Kate Beckinsale!

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »

I'd be willing to press against Lindsey Lohan.

(how does the old joke go?  something like --

COP:  Anything you say may be held against you.

SUSPECT:  Kate Beckinsale!

I can't get there with Lindsey Lohan...don't find her even mildly attractive
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2007, 11:56:37 AM »

So, is everyone excited about the inevitable PETA vs. Nike battle?  The boycott is imminent.  The timing of the Micheal Vick sneaker couldn't be worse, and I guess they've already produced tens of thousands of the shoes and don't want to eat them, I get it, especially if the expected market (Vick sells more jerseys than any other NFL player and he plays for the lousy Falcons, that's something, or was) is big then they have a lot of shoes on their hands, but the fight will be on between PETA and Nike and PETA and the NFL.  Not a fan of dog-fighting, but this is the kind of battle I might enjoy as a spectator.  Curiously, the heretofore tough-guy Commissioner has said he won't do anything until the matter is resolved one way or another.  The Feds have something like a 95% conviction rate, so does he really have to wait on this matter, not according to the character provisions in NFL contracts, and not really because Vick has had contact witl law enforcement on prior occasions including the pot water-bottle that wasn't prosecuted.  In extreme situations like this where you have a premier player accused of something unimaginably heinous ("nappy-headed ho's" seems quaint by comparison yet Imus was ruled unacceptable by advertisers and he had some plausible excuses like joking or being provocative, etc.), it's no wonder how the league and Nike have somehow found religion in the overpowering glow of the almighty dollar.  All of a sudden Vick's right to due process has become a very big torch to carry when it's not been so for players nobody is making $$$ on...what hypocracy.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2007, 02:38:50 PM »

jbottle, re:Imus

I noticed yesterday that the Rev.Al is advocating Imus come back to us; and I was a little dumbfounded by that to say the least. To say the most, I'd have to entertain the thought that the Sharp feels appropriately vindicated enough not to deny Imus the gratification of goofing up all over again as humans are err to do.
jbottle
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »

Rev. Al, though I like his personality sometimes, is of zero importance and has zero credibility.  He's not only played the race card, but invented it when necessary.  He's a despicable hypocrite, but seemingly a funny and likable guy when not being judgemental, an area where he always sounds moronic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: