Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 03:28:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 8332 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: October 18, 2007, 12:18:08 PM »

Doesn't anything that goes in a magazine make it to the internet?

If she was underage for one, she was underage for the other.  There seems to be a fine line that some communities can't get over about the difference in age between an underage female who would have had to be airbrushed for magazines on your newstand before the 1980s or community preferences would serve a warrant on the local purveyor of "interesting magazines you've got here"; and the concept of "nude children in photographs" which somehow automatically is considered appealing to the pedophilia crowd that we always hear about on Law and Order SV while not that long ago nude children were not victims but Objet d'Art to their parents who are left over artists from the generation of Flower Children.

A friend of mine in New Jersey where "the Shore" is a commodity on which you raise revenue, told me that back in the Sixties, the neighbor lady from across the street rang the door-bell and when his mother opened the door to have her come into the house, the kid ran by sans bathing suit that he had just dropped wet and sandy on the bathroom floor.  This is why many New Jerseyeans insist on having an outdoor shower in particular for coming home from the beach.  This neighbour whose husband was on the borough board then "shrieked"(I'm sure mildly) but she was all obsessed by this kid being a naked male child  running either through the living room or the kitchen as the case may be.

This was a typical ocean front suburban town where tourists do everything in your front yard during the summer season until you call the police but after all the suburbanites here are English to a fault and sometimes even Methodist until they get over it.
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: October 18, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »

18 as of December 2006

When the photos were shot - not sure
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: October 19, 2007, 03:52:16 AM »

Harrie, like you, I'm amazed this stuff becomes front page news, not only on Yahoo! but a variety of other on-line journals.  That's about all I read these days.  The Hudgens scandal, if you can call it that, is pure titillation.  The Iggy Pup scandal is scandalous in the way De Generes made such an emotional plea on television when she apparently was through with "it" anyway, giving the pup to her hairdresser.  I agree with you that the dog welfare center probably went too far, as it wasn't like Iggy was being used for "dog fights," but then it is nice to see that someone had little Iggy's best interests in mind. 

harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: October 19, 2007, 07:31:34 PM »

Okay, so Donald Trump thinks Angelina Jolie isn't pretty enough and George Clooney isn't tall enough. I know Jolie has her supporters/detractors, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but what position is he in to criticize anyone's looks?  I mean, until he does something about that critter on his head, he has no room to throw stones.  Just my opinion.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: October 19, 2007, 07:54:13 PM »

Smiley
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: October 19, 2007, 08:22:08 PM »

Okay, so Donald Trump thinks Angelina Jolie isn't pretty enough and George Clooney isn't tall enough. I know Jolie has her supporters/detractors, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but what position is he in to criticize anyone's looks?  I mean, until he does something about that critter on his head, he has no room to throw stones.  Just my opinion.

He doesnt need me to defend him, but I think the cat does OK for himself in MANY departments.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: October 23, 2007, 04:57:48 AM »

Donald Trump is a loathsome prick as far as I'm concerned.

All he seems to be interested in is cleavage.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:59:31 AM by Dzimas » Logged
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: October 23, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »

I wouldn't call him loathsome...

He just has a very fragile ego.  Most bullies do...

The people that need help most very seldom seek it...
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/report_everyone_in_hollywood_great

LOS ANGELES—A study released today by the University of California, Los Angeles is sending shockwaves through the social, behavioral, and publicity sciences, after finding that everyone in Hollywood is close personal friends with everyone else in Hollywood.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: October 29, 2007, 03:59:20 PM »

Ponderosa,

And every bit of it is true. The family that has to work together loves each other. What about the rest of the Los Angelenos who live outside of that tiny sector known as Hollywood which I thought was in the fire zone. I was so shook up  that I called my favourite hotel the Malmaison when referring to the other one that begins with an M (mine).
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2007, 06:28:03 AM »

madupont

I believe the Onion is mostly satirical, but I'm not so sure about who or what to believe anymore.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2007, 09:17:48 AM »

harrie -  I'm with you regarding Trump, who seems to think the gods have placed him here on this earth to weigh in on everything.  And what is he thinking with that godawful hair of his?  Wonder how much he pays for those coifs?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: October 30, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »

madupont

I believe the Onion is mostly satirical, but I'm not so sure about who or what to believe anymore.

I think that was a sign of "good writing" if you couldn't tell whether they were serious or not satirical.

My response was meant to be satirical as well. As I really do mean that this attitude of one big happy family completely in love with each other prevails in the Industry(but not among the people who just happen to live in L.A. and may or may not enjoy the movies as often); but that's because it is for publicity and no one can afford to say something   unflattering about someone they might have an opportunity to work with, or because they worked with them before and didn't exactly enjoy the experience.

I've made it an unconscious rule not to remember anything awkward that I was privy to but yes, movie actors do eventually let down their hair after several days at home from location of their latest shoot. So you do hear gripes and complaints, which are interesting to say the least....  But never on camera for an interview (Barry Nolan?).

Some people are so busy working that they do not go out to the movies as often as they used to but, it is true, out there on the Coast, part of the reason for doing so, going out, rather than watching dvds or tapes(which my son used to pick out about three at a time for me at my request of what I was not able to see as yet in the boondocks and were readily available when I visited. However, I generally never completely saw them as I crashed from jet lag and then "got busy" interacting) which is what I didn't finish saying about the reason to go out to the movies.  People literally gather on the sidewalks after a movie and talk to each other about the movie, this is how people work the crowd, shmooze, and/or do business; a bit like the Ancient Greeks, who did not have movies, but maybe they said,"How about that Aristophanes? Did you catch it at the amphitheatron?

When they are invited to each other's homes, what do they discuss? Movies.

They go out after the show to a sidewalk cafe in good weather(not recently) and stand around on the sidewalk until they get a table, or after leaving their table, talking about movies.

As the result of the socializing following the jet-lag, I don't recall ever finding out how Chazz Palmientari dealt with,"Hurly Burly" but I did eventually watch, Run,Lola,Run, several times by catching up with her on tv. It is one of my favourite German films of life in the Punk era.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2007, 07:29:29 AM »

When they are invited to each other's homes, what do they discuss? Movies.

They go out after the show to a sidewalk cafe in good weather(not recently) and stand around on the sidewalk until they get a table, or after leaving their table, talking about movies.

Ever seen The Player?

"Can we talk about something other than Hollywood for a change? We're educated people." Griffin Mill  Smiley
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »

Glad you mentioned it. That was exactly the film that was going through my mind as I posted to you but then I forgot to mention it.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 34
  Print  

Jump to: