Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 07:58:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 13755 times)
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »

Did you confuse two posts?

You know how you've always been told that "Money is Evil" (or, at least,"dirty") that makes Ted Turner as filthy with it as the anti-Christ roaming around the West to return the ecology to something less "Fundamental".
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #331 on: December 20, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/books/review/McGrath-t.html

PORTRAITS AND OBSERVATIONS

The Essays of Truman Capote.

518 pp. Random House. $28.95.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #332 on: December 28, 2007, 04:33:08 AM »

The list of celebrity DUI's keeps growing and growing.  Add Rebecca De Mornay to the list:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071228/ap_en_ce/people_de_mornay
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #333 on: December 28, 2007, 09:16:45 AM »

"Seventy-seven-year-old Sir Sean Connery has had many reviews during a long acting career, but has probably never been described in print as "a rude, foul-mouthed, fat old man" before. Now a US Supreme Court judge has barred Sir Sean's New York neighbour from making that, and other uncomplimentary remarks, in the depositions for a legal dispute between the two.

Sir Sean has been locked in litigation with Dr Burton Sultan, a 72-year-old leading opthalmologist, for five years since Connery and his wife Micheline began using an Upper East Side apartment that belongs to their son Stephane.

Justice Marcy Friedman's new judgement rebukes Dr Sultan for his intemperate language"  UKFirstPost

law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: December 28, 2007, 11:29:09 AM »

have seen sir sean on e. 71st near 3rd, strolling.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: December 28, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »

This would be Harrie's celebrit spotting service news. Several of us occasionally swap spottings to keep each other informed but it mostly reveals who we favor and who deserves our "fan-ship". I haven't subscribed much to reading the Scotsman of late, but they had told me about Sean Connery's autobiography, which may be why he set up housekeeping at his son's apartment. He may be working with an American publisher. It is a rather shrewd move to get that sort of writing over with before you can't remember your life; and you can probably lay out all the interesting bits before someone else takes posthumous advantage and tries to tell everybody your life for you.

Connery is another one of those fellows, such as Paul Newman whom I mentioned in the Movies forum as being "not at all attractive to me when he was  a young person but, who became more and more attractive in his senior years".

When you find news of somebody who obviously does not share your rare taste in celebrities and who actually persecutes them as soon as an opportunity presents itself, my tendency is to shrug and mention,"well, New York, what can you expect in Manhattan? People there are so driven to show up vips, merely to prove that they themselves are just as important as anybody. It is some kind of elite Americanism of the street; yet, oddly, the street in New York remains one of the most polite places for maintaining the proprieties of do not disturb the famous going about their business shopping or whatever,as just another New Yorker in passing.

I don't envy Sean Connery the disturbance of his own peace and quiet however while trying to wrap up a book.  I go through this with contracted grounds-maintenance employees of the management who make maximum noise, for a full day if possible, while I'm writing.

Not to mention the couple upstairs, although I have lived downstairs from three other couples since I moved to this apartment, none of whom made active noise  of any kind. Current couple in residence have a high strung reaction of their personalities similar to the guy who could not possibly have done any wrong himself and thinks Connery is the fault in residence. You can tell this by the increase in the rapidity of their footfalls as they panic each other at the fateful "homecoming hour".
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: December 28, 2007, 12:43:32 PM »

First off, why are you assuming Connery did no wrong?

Secondly, what gives you the idea that manhattanites feel the need to show up VIPs. 

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: December 28, 2007, 04:01:20 PM »

By the same token, why are you assuming Connery did any wrong?

That story is notable for its great teaser -- charges like rude, foul-mouthed, fat and old are seriously eye-catching -- but then not one detail about the whys and wherefores. I'm sorry, but when I'm promised dirt, I want dirt.  If being rude, foul-mouthed, fat and old brings on litigation, think of how many people must be going after Andrew Dice Clay. And for that matter, I'd better watch my step, too.
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: December 28, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »

Aha!  Here we go -- http://tinyurl.com/2djdug

The dispute is over renovations and/or roof repairs, and the eye doctor is suing a couple other parties besides Connery.  Apparently, the other parties don't get the big headline that Connery does.  This may happen a lot in NYC -- I recall reading that Ann Curry's neighbors are or were all over her for the same thing.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: December 28, 2007, 06:59:16 PM »

Sean Connery is a rude, inconsiderate boor. I saw it on tv. It must be true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34bMZcIFHw
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »

‘Rebel angel’ Hugo Chavez gives Naomi Campbell a scoop
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/index.php?news=people&issueID=545&itemID=11767
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »

Hugo makes me think of Tito.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: January 07, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »

Nah, Tito was more militarily oriented,partisan guerilla that sort of thing. I rather liked the guy in my childhood. Even the Nazis did not get to wreck the antiquities of architecture that Bill Clinton did. There have got to be other methods.

Hugo is overly plump with his campaign to become a world celebrity; by offering assistance to third world cold climate regions like Wisconsin where they can't afford medical insurance for optical procedures, he attempted to center-piece the parsimonious old Yankee meanie who inherited the White House.

I think he is running into a concerted effort by the youth movement of the privileged at present; who, in the guise of Youth is always Right, are expressing their well-educated disdain for the peons of other races who need their say in government as well. This is similar to the back-lash folks in the US who take to their internet service provider when defending O'Reilly getting out of line at some Barack Obama happening. Their consensus is that Barack doesn't wear one of those American flag "pins", or lapel studs,actually; like Cheney and the white guys(which is a new music group going on tour next year).
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: January 07, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »

By the same token, why are you assuming Connery did any wrong?

That story is notable for its great teaser -- charges like rude, foul-mouthed, fat and old are seriously eye-catching -- but then not one detail about the whys and wherefores. I'm sorry, but when I'm promised dirt, I want dirt.  If being rude, foul-mouthed, fat and old brings on litigation, think of how many people must be going after Andrew Dice Clay. And for that matter, I'd better watch my step, too.

LOL!  Same here!  Besides, Connery is Scottish.  Need anything more be said? 
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2008, 08:38:48 AM »

LOL!  Same here!  Besides, Connery is Scottish.  Need anything more be said?

Exactly what are you implying here, Dez (being a Scot myself, or atleast of Scottish heritage)?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:40:39 AM by Dzimas » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: