Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 27, 2018, 12:54:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 10630 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »

I'm of Scottish heritage too, dzimas.  I'm implying that you better not cross one unless you want a rather unpleasant experience.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »

Well, we all know, Dzimas, what it is like. You however are a formidably reasonable Scot but, then, we don't live with you at home; and, we've all had that kind of upbringing with a Scotsman in the house. My grandmother was the cheeriest person, but also lived alone, and my mother thought her bitter in some way. Wouldn't you be after seven kids to raise on your own? My great aunt, and the sister of our grandmother, never said an unkindly word that could be considered disrespectul of any individual Scotsman when speaking of family  and their friends;but she did say they placed too much value on money. She did however marry "out".
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2008, 08:28:47 PM »

"Sir Edmund Hillary dies, aged 88

Mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary, the laid-back beekeeper from New Zealand who with Sherpa Tenzing became the first to conquer Mount Everest, has died at the age of 88. Hillary, who preferred to be known as just "Ed" and said of his conquest "we knocked the bastard off", went on to become one of the 20th century's greatest explorers. He had not been well since last April, when he suffered a fall during a climb in Nepal."

The fP

I don't know, is it just the British or is it just me? I have been living with this all of my life. It's so terribly Evelyn Waugh of them to report that, "He had not been well since last April,when he suffered a fall during a climb in Nepal."

You rather expect to hear John Cleese delivering those lines, don't you?

At age 88, I think, "not  been well" would be the least of it. Underplay,understate,anything to avoid being, not British?
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: January 12, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »

"Sir Edmund Hillary dies, aged 88

Mountaineer Sir Edmund Hillary, the laid-back beekeeper from New Zealand who with Sherpa Tenzing became the first to conquer Mount Everest, has died at the age of 88. Hillary, who preferred to be known as just "Ed" and said of his conquest "we knocked the bastard off", went on to become one of the 20th century's greatest explorers. He had not been well since last April, when he suffered a fall during a climb in Nepal."

The fP

I don't know, is it just the British or is it just me? I have been living with this all of my life. It's so terribly Evelyn Waugh of them to report that, "He had not been well since last April,when he suffered a fall during a climb in Nepal."

You rather expect to hear John Cleese delivering those lines, don't you?

At age 88, I think, "not  been well" would be the least of it. Underplay,understate,anything to avoid being, not British?

I'm not sure I'd classify Sir Edmund as a celebrity.  The man conquored Mt. Everest, was an explorer of the first mark, a humanitarian, in other words, a person of substance.  Putting him into the same catagory as Paris Hilton is a bit of a stretch.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:45:54 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: January 13, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »

You seem to be the only person posting about Paris Hilton; you made the comparison.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: January 13, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

Not really.  Look back at the very first post in this forum.  You know, the one where the administrator sets the tone....

Also, look at the current question.  Not much difference between Paris and Britney.  Sir Edmund is really not thought of as a mere celebrity. 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 05:52:02 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: January 13, 2008, 07:15:05 PM »

not really? When asked what is celebreality as it is obviously not cerebral compared to celebrity, he had something in mind and I know not what. People famous in many varying fields are when they become known to the public at large quite often considered to be celebrities in their field.

You seemed to have a similar problem about the death of Mrs.Astor, was this when you confused celebrity with aristocracy? I said at the time, the interest in such well-known people has to do with local history. In the US,the Astors are a part of our history. The family was an intrinsic part of New York city, as well as state, history.  But their fur empire stretched  well into the Midwest in the colder climates of the US, as I''m sure you probably know about from Michigan.

As a person about town, the late Mrs. Astor was the bright spot in the day and perhaps a lifetime for many people who happened to meet her because she was arriving for a fund-raising event for charity or the arts, cab-drivers, truck drivers, elevator operators all had favorable things to say about her, in some sense in the nytimes that was their oration to her when they told their own personal stories of meeting her.

Now, Sir Edmund Hillary has been a celebrated mountaineer for some time. There is an obvious connection amidst celebreality,celebrated,and celebrity. But my point was rather the British habit of understating something, by which they feel that they remain in good taste, propriety, but are manners that cause you to say "wait a minute..." and, to take a second look, since most obviously one would not be feeling well, having taken a fall while mountain climbing.  That is the John Cleese factor common to English humour.  That does not mean Sir Edmund is funny, or that what happened to him is funny; it means that the writers back in the UK rather miss the point.

And with that in mind, I suppose that if I were to take a look (because I have done that recently in other forums that were cut back after the hacking and this may be one of them, you may find that there is very first post to look back upon. Not any more. But I shall check to remind myself of what is not there.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »

Yes, that seems to be the case. With the exceptions of add-ons for people who did not seem to have enough room for their insufficient egos, the main forums from the beginning date to April 16th.

Those that could not be returned to the condition that they were in after they had been raided for god knows what, have a later date as of May 9th or some such after the ragged ends where spliced for continuance as best the administrator could do.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »

Well, the concept of exactly who is and who is not a celebrity is just one more of the myriad of subjects we disagree upon.  Perhaps you are correct in the old way of thinking, but now the word has taken on rather a negative connotation.  (Words do evolve (or devolve)  as we get older,  and if you want to stay relevant, you really need to pay attention.)

I must say, anyone who got a glimpse of Mrs. Astor and viewed it as a bright spot in their lifetime certainly ought to rethink their priorities.  The phrase "get a life" would be apropos.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 08:02:22 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2008, 08:02:01 PM »

But as far as beginning new forums to assuage peoples' egos, I think the moderator liked the idea of a celebreality forum and so began one.   Doesn't seem like too much of an egomaniac to me...running this forum could turn out to be more trouble than it's worth, what with people running to him all the time, complaining about other posters.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »

Your record on that score stands for itself. Unless you want to erace a few of your remarks but you are aware that the admin knows about that already. Okay, I grant you, you have made yourself a celebreality by doing half-asked versions of book reviews while cutting out the most worthwhile material. I probably will not care to be around much anyway for your contentions, since there are now more important issues to contend with elsewhere and more interesting things to do than deal with  banal ideation. Why don't you try creative writing and correct the spelling or read a hard book or something and learn something from the discussion than haggle who qualifies for celeabreality. You vote for Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears as memorable creatures. I'll take Sir Edmund Hillary overcoming English usage.
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2008, 12:49:25 PM »

Your record on that score stands for itself. Unless you want to erace a few of your remarks but you are aware that the admin knows about that already. Okay, I grant you, you have made yourself a celebreality by doing half-asked versions of book reviews while cutting out the most worthwhile material. I probably will not care to be around much anyway for your contentions, since there are now more important issues to contend with elsewhere and more interesting things to do than deal with  banal ideation. Why don't you try creative writing and correct the spelling or read a hard book or something and learn something from the discussion than haggle who qualifies for celeabreality. You vote for Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears as memorable creatures. I'll take Sir Edmund Hillary overcoming English usage.

Your post makes my point for me.  Paris and Britney are the type of person that our society considers celebrities.  As to Mrs. Astor, I'm sure she was a nice person and all, but aside from a very fortunate marriage, who was she?  One has to communicate in the language of the culture, and from this viewpoint, Sir Edmund makes no sense.  His reality had nothing to do with our conception of "celebreality." 

As to my reading "a hard book," that's rich coming from one who chooses her reading material from the social register.  But I will take your suggestion and "correct the spelling."  In your above post:  erace=erase, celeabreality=celebreality, Brittney=Britney. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 01:37:34 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »

I think you make my point for me. Brittney vs Britney. You opt for Britney and Paris Hilton, whose "celebreality"  is not a word in the English language. Perhaps you are referring to celeb-reality, in which case Mrs. Astor would want to know about what you call "our" culture. You don't seem to know who she is,"As to Mrs. Astor, I'm sure she was a nice person and all, but aside from a very fortunate marriage, who was she? ". Those are your words, in case you are getting confused about now.

Exactly "whose" culture are you referring to when you say things like,
"One has to communicate in the language of the culture,"? And,"... from this viewpoint, Sir Edmund makes no sense.  His reality had nothing to do with 'our' conception."   What exactly is this our that you keep talking about?  You are about as all-inclusive as the kids back at the end of the 1960s in college English classes fulfilling their mandatory requirement, who believed they were capable of writing Beatles lyrics because their words were used by John Lennon and Paul McCartney in writing the songs recorded on the vinyl.  Well, we did know he was a poet in his own write.

"it’s not really John’s childhood, it’s all of ours really, isn’t it John?" John Lennon, assuming a camp voice answered "It is, we’re all one Victor, we’re all one aren‘t we.

So what is this "social register" that you insist I'm reading?

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2008, 07:25:35 PM »

I think you make my point for me. Brittney vs Britney. You opt for Britney and Paris Hilton, whose "celebreality"  is not a word in the English language. Perhaps you are referring to celeb-reality, in which case Mrs. Astor would want to know about what you call "our" culture. You don't seem to know who she is,"As to Mrs. Astor, I'm sure she was a nice person and all, but aside from a very fortunate marriage, who was she? ". Those are your words, in case you are getting confused about now.

Exactly "whose" culture are you referring to when you say things like,
"One has to communicate in the language of the culture,"? And,"... from this viewpoint, Sir Edmund makes no sense.  His reality had nothing to do with 'our' conception."   What exactly is this our that you keep talking about?  You are about as all-inclusive as the kids back at the end of the 1960s in college English classes fulfilling their mandatory requirement, who believed they were capable of writing Beatles lyrics because their words were used by John Lennon and Paul McCartney in writing the songs recorded on the vinyl.  Well, we did know he was a poet in his own write.

"it’s not really John’s childhood, it’s all of ours really, isn’t it John?" John Lennon, assuming a camp voice answered "It is, we’re all one Victor, we’re all one aren‘t we.

So what is this "social register" that you insist I'm reading?

LOL....Perhaps you have mis-read the name of this forum.  Look closely.  It is not "Celebrity,"  it is "Celebreality."  And the word "celebreality" refers specifically to the doings and lives of the likes of Britney and of people like Paris who are famous mostly for being famous, who have made nothing of their lives but a series of "blonde" moments. 

If the word is not in your dictionary, I would suggest you consider purchasing a newer edition. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:29:36 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2008, 07:42:28 PM »

Made nothing of their lives, eh?

Funny.

Do you give 1/1000th of what they give to charity?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: