Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 22, 2018, 12:17:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 10172 times)
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »

Do we know what they give to charity?

But aside from the charity angle....do you realize what sort of negative impact these women have had on girls growing up in America?  Pop into your local pre-teen clothing department sometime for a real eye-opener.  Granted, the mothers who allow their little girls to dress in sexually suggestive clothes ought to be slapped upside the head, but it is sad that little girls don't have better role models.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:51:52 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »

They said the same in the 70s
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »

Yes, I recall that.  But back then, parents had more sense.  They understood that it was more important to be a parent to one's child than to be their best friend. 

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »

I use the OED. What do you use, a slightly refracted pugilism?  Which reminds me. I think that this actively belongs in Celebreality according to your criteria for charitable bad examples to little girls; this was probably where it was intended to be dumped but somehow the boy ended up in Art.  Here we go Art Renfro...oh,excuse me,Brad.

Did you ever dig the complete name, comes from his parents watching too many Bram Stoker movies when they conceived him?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000605/bio

Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2008, 07:02:12 PM »

I like the OED, along with quite a few others.  I like dictionaries in general.  But the OED does list "celebreality."  It originated back in the 1990's, first incidence by a Canadian reporter in an article on the Oscars. 

Other interesting OED entries:  celebutante, bling bling, gangsta.  (Makes me wonder exactly what those folks over at OED are up to.)

Brad Renfro...don't know him.  Never watch Grisham on the screen, or Stephen King either.  King writes a good story...scary enough in the imagination without added embellishment on the big screen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:04:39 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #365 on: January 16, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »

Although, a quick check over at IMDB tells me that I may have caught him in the movie "Ghost World,"  which I recall was a pretty decent movie.  Also probably caught him in his episode of Law & Order, a show I absolutely love to watch.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: January 16, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »

http://movies.aol.com/news/story/_a/former-child-actor-brad-renfro-dies/20080115185109990001
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »

well, gee,whiz, I used the Shorter Oxford Univ.Press English Dictionary. Any idea what the cost is on the "full set"?

Anyway,I was not surprised to read that  Brad Barron Renfro (now that is funny) was born in Tennessee about the time that I left there(arriving in time for the Lunar eclipse at the height of the "Summer Season" in New Jersey). So, he lived to be 26? I suspect that is what kidcarter8 was attempting to point out to you because you seem to be of a divided mind in entertaining Brittney,Paris,and now, Brad, as sometimes a bad influence on younger people and sometimes in a bracket to be "charitable"; owning a set of the OED would in that case bracket somewhat a charitable attitude?

I have  no doubt by the terms you recounted from the OED that Brad Renfro qualifies categorically as a Celebreality, which is why I thought it inconsistent that he ended up in Art and Art Exhibitions today. Not that every trace shall be erased. Think how few movies James Dean made before pffft.... But, Brad Renfro likewise would end up posted in Movies, no one saw it that way, although movies are often film art; in fact we spoke a little of Dogme95, by and by, because I recommended a film,The Celebration, that I've seen two or three times by now. Don't get me wrong, I admire Joel Schumacher as well. Those are the dues;but, the reason that I sometimes mention an exhibition (not from the "social register") is because there are people who post in here who can on occasion line up their schedule to support an art exhibition in NYC because they are in the vicinity. In Manhattan, that's considered charitable.

Don't let kidcarter8 bother you. You should see what caclark says to him, whereas, he calls me "MissThing". Just so he doesn't call me, MissAnn. I thought it best to Ignore him before we started doing the dozens. Or, as Henry Miller says, "dontcha know?"
Have to go watch a Japanese Horror called Pray
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:05:01 PM by madupont » Logged
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2008, 02:25:03 AM »

I don't mind the Kid so much.  I tend to be judgemental and he nailed me on it.  But I do worry about the daughters.  I see mothers and daughters in the grocer's, both of them chatting away on their cell phones.  I see them commuting to various activities, both on cell phones or the daughter watching a video in the back seat.  And I think, when do these people talk?  I see them in shopping malls, mother and daughter dressed as sister slatterns, buying more expressions of the same.  The mother can't say no, doesn't want the daughter to throw a fit, doesn't want to be seen as unhip.  Then, I see the mothers dressed in the above mentioned attire at Parent-Teacher conferences, expressing dismay that they just can't seem to motivate their daughters to finish their homework. 

But, charity or no, do good works balance the damage they do to little girls?

As to caClark....with a wit like hers, I'm sure she can handle whatever comes her way.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:36:48 AM by Lhoffman » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2008, 02:48:37 AM »

Des, Maddy, have you read Neal Ascherson's Stone Voices,

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Voices-Scotland-Neal-Ascherson/dp/0809084910/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200556020&sr=1-4

very amusing chapter on the celebreality of Braveheart, as well his thoughts on Sean Connery, and Trent Lott pushing for a National Tartan Day in America.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2008, 08:22:46 AM »

The whole Britney thing has gotten so sordid and ugly that one would almost feel sorry for her if there weren't two children at stake.  I can only hope that K-Fed is a better father than he is an entertainer.
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »

Tom Cruise on Scientology.

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise-indoctrination-video-scientology-tried-to-suppress
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »

Do we know what they give to charity?

But aside from the charity angle....do you realize what sort of negative impact these women have had on girls growing up in America?  Pop into your local pre-teen clothing department sometime for a real eye-opener.  Granted, the mothers who allow their little girls to dress in sexually suggestive clothes ought to be slapped upside the head, but it is sad that little girls don't have better role models.

Young girls were dressing like that long before Britney and Paris came along, but I would agree that they are both bad role models.  And not all girls who dress "like that" have mothers who "allow" them - my daughter was sneaking on makeup and revealing costumes loaned to her by other girls by the age of 12, and lots of young girls shoplift when their mothers won't buy them what they want.  And not because they haven't been taught better, either.

God, 33 years ago I was going braless most of the time regardless of my mother's bitching.  I was in college, so she couldn't do anything about it, but did she raise hell when I came home.  She didn't realize I was going to class dressed even skimpier - that was when short cut-offs and halters were in style, and I was in college in the deep South.  I don't think times have changed regarding young girls and clothing as much as some people think.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »

Nice image you left me with, des!

The whole thing with Tommy Boy and Scientology is really something. I remember when Dennis Weaver got hooked on that stuff and his movie and television career went down the toilet, but he kept his rugged good looks right up the end,

Tommy seems relatively unscathed by his association with this bogus religion.  Katie looks better than ever with that short bob.  Maybe she could play Louise Brooks in a movie, although I see her more in a remake of "That Girl."
Lhoffman
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2008, 12:18:43 PM »

Desdemona...I'm not talking about college age women here.  Women in college are adults, free to make reasoned choices,  mom may not like daughter's choices, but making a workable relationship between daughter and  mom is part of the deal.  Teen-aged girls...won't even go there.  Teen-agers girls have to disagree with their mothers, otherwise, working out the whole process of moving into adulthood would be just too painful.  And, we know that at 12 into their twenty-somethings, girls want to be anyone but their mother.

I am talking about little girls...in the 4 to 9 age range, and I think their approach to dressing has changed quite a bit in the last five or eight years.  The other day, I saw a mother and daughter in matching pink v-necked tees...silver lettering.  The little girl appeared to be around 6.  Her shirt said, "Jail Bait."  The mother's matching one said, "Been there, done that."  The little girl was wearing some cute pants, sort of like the black spandexy leggings that were popular in the eighties.  Quite cute on the little girl, but unfortunately, the mother appeared to have squeezed herself into the same sized spandex pants as her little girl....

This is the sort of thing one used to see only on Jerry Springer or in Walmart    Wink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:21:43 PM by Lhoffman » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37
  Print  

Jump to: