Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 17, 2018, 03:55:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 13693 times)
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

That's What I'm Talking About

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: January 18, 2008, 02:33:10 PM »

LOL, harrie.  Yep, whodathunkit?

Still reading Richard III?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: January 18, 2008, 03:23:17 PM »

Yes, I am, slowly but surely.  I feel like I should make up some flashcards to keep the Richards and Edwards straight, and I occasionally ask the hubby a stupid question like "when someone is moved from sanctuary to compulsion, does that mean they're about to lose their head?"  Even with my lack of detailed knowledge on the topic, it's an interesting read.   And in a twisted way, Richard III almost qualifies for Celebreality.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: January 18, 2008, 03:39:14 PM »

Right!  I'm going to post a response in non-fiction since history is being used to discuss 1968.  See you there.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: January 21, 2008, 01:59:28 PM »

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article3353769.ece

Wintour goes nuclear over Hillary's snub to 'Vogue'
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: January 22, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »

Heath Ledger dead at age 28. Found dead in apartment,NYC
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: January 23, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »

Very sad to hear about Heath.  From what I heard on BBC this morning, he had ventured a little too deep into the dark side in recent pictures, and wasn't getting any sleep.  Really a shame to lose a young talent like that.   
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:17 AM »

Dzimas,

What people lost sight of because they lose track very fast these days,
Heath had pneumonia and had medication for that. Nowadays, most people take medication if it is caught before requiring hospitalization. One loses a lot of sleep with this illness, and could readily attempt desperately to get some rest, without being alert enough to be cautious. It is a very exasperating illness for an adult. In my childhood there was no medication for pneumonia and my first sibling died when she was about six months old. I have had a couple of bouts with uncomfortable related ailments that were bronchial or pleurisy at age 16 and then again as a young adult in my twenties; thus, well recall the unpleasant discomfort of not being able to breathe adequately in a reclining position in order to have sufficient sleep to recover while you are just out of it in an agitated fog.  I can pretty well discern what took place. Whatever they will find as the post-mortem doesn't much matter nor change a thing.  Young actors habitually use sleeping pills, in other words take uppers and downers because of the hours of their work,  you have to be there no matter how much you have to sit around waiting, you still have to be there early; and, they suffer an inordinate amount of anxiety almost every day of their work-life and about everything, which is fairly typical in their age group.
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: January 23, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »

Dzimas,

Heath had pneumonia and had medication for that. Nowadays, most people take medication if it is caught before requiring hospitalization. One loses a lot of sleep with this illness, and could readily attempt desperately to get some rest, without being alert enough to be cautious. It is a very exasperating illness for an adult. In my childhood there was no medication for pneumonia and my first sibling died when she was about six months old. I have had a couple of bouts with uncomfortable related ailments that were bronchial or pleurisy at age 16 and then again as a young adult in my twenties; thus, well recall the unpleasant discomfort of not being able to breathe adequately in a reclining position in order to have sufficient sleep to recover while you are just out of it in an agitated fog.  I can pretty well discern what took place. Whatever they will find as the post-mortem doesn't much matter nor change a thing.  Young actors habitually use sleeping pills, in other words take uppers and downers because of the hours of their work,  you have to be there no matter how much you have to sit around waiting, you still have to be there early; and, they suffer an inordinate amount of anxiety almost every day of their work-life and about everything, which is fairly typical in their age group.

So maddie, you read that Ledger had recently suffered from pneumonia somewhere?

I've had lifelong respiratory illness because I'm asthmatic.  A couple of months ago the asthma got out of control, and as I have been forced to do so many times in my life, I ended up on large doses of cortisone and prednisone.  A side effect is depression and agitation - they gave me so much this most recent time that I was crazy as a bedbug for several weeks.  The insanity tends to hit hardest in the weeks after the course of prednisone has been completed.  Usually pneumonia is treated with a combo of antibiotics and prednisone.  May just explain what made him sleepless and suicidal.  Of course, they haven't said it was suicide yet, but it surely sounds like that is the case.
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: January 23, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »

Harrie, perhaps this would help you with Dick the third....

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/richardiii/

(my kids understand that I will disembowel them first and ask questions later if I ever catch them using this website...apparently quite a few use these in lieu of actually reading a book)

Ledger outlived James Dean by three years, IIRC.  Of course, it's easier to build a legend with a wrecked Porsche than with asthma medication.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: January 23, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »

Dzimas,

I've had lifelong respiratory illness because I'm asthmatic.  A couple of months ago the asthma got out of control, and as I have been forced to do so many times in my life, I ended up on large doses of cortisone and prednisone.  A side effect is depression and agitation - they gave me so much this most recent time that I was crazy as a bedbug for several weeks.  The insanity tends to hit hardest in the weeks after the course of prednisone has been completed.  Usually pneumonia is treated with a combo of antibiotics and prednisone.  May just explain what made him sleepless and suicidal.  Of course, they haven't said it was suicide yet, but it surely sounds like that is the case.

No.  Sure doesnt to me.

Madupont's description above sounds more likley
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: January 23, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »

Dzimas,

No.  Sure doesnt to me.

Madupont's description above sounds more likley

But how does she know he had pneumonia?  I haven't seen that in any of the media accounts.  Of course, today they're saying that it  didn't look like a suicide deal, but why on earth would he take such a large dose of whatever it was right before time for a massage?
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: January 23, 2008, 04:48:36 PM »

The pneumonia thing has been flitting around the news, and the latest thing I've heard is about a rolled $20 bill that's being tested.  But for what, I wonder...?  This is probably going to take a while to shake out, and even then, who really knows, besides Ledger himeslf?  So far, either today's autopsy is inconclusive or they're keeping it quiet.

Barton, thanks for the tip.  I've got the hubby, desdemona and the org chart already, but I'm not above a shortcut here or there.  As long as I'm not being graded or anything.

Hey, wait a minute -- I was an English major, dude!  Reading Shakespeare's a piece of cake, but Shakes based his play on anti-York propoganda which may or may not be true.  Everyone played so dirty at the time, Richard III may  have been no angel; but he played by roughly the same rules as his predecessors and successor, as far as I can tell. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind once I've read fifty or so books on the topic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:52:50 PM by harrie » Logged
desdemona222b
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: January 24, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »

Harrie -

Unpacked my books last night (finally bought a shelf for my new home) and found The Princes in the Tower!  Also Weir's Wars of the Roses!
bartolomeo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: January 24, 2008, 11:51:07 AM »

Nicholson, a friend, said he had warned Ledger about taking Ambien, which he (Nicholson) claims gave him mood swings and the desire to drive his car off a cliff.  Not that Jack Nicholson blaming mood swings on a med is real authoritative or anything.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: January 24, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »

Harrie -

Unpacked my books last night (finally bought a shelf for my new home) and found The Princes in the Tower!  Also Weir's Wars of the Roses!

Excellent!  On my end, the cover to The Princes in the Tower looks awfully familiar, so we're going through the books at home before I commit my bookstore card.  Already have the Wars of the Roses one, starting that shortly.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: