Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 02:30:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is Britney's career over?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebreality  (Read 13780 times)
harrie
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: January 30, 2008, 05:37:23 PM »

I thought the Gwyneth Paltrow sideways remark was just a joke, as in she's such a wisp of a thing that she disappears when she stands sideways.  And I'm sorry barton, but being a real woman myself, I just don't think Gwyneth looks like a real woman at all. I know some real women who would sell their first born to look half as good as Gwyneth on one of her so-so days. (Just letting my inner crone speak for a minute...)

madupont, I don't know about a Santa Barbara connection for Ms. Aniston, but she does come from a business family.  Her father is John Aniston, who was (is?) a soap actor, I think on Days of Our Lives.

Gotta say, acting-wise neither one has ever wowed me.  Aniston was very good in Office Space, IMO, but it wasn't exactly a big challenge.  She was also good in Friends With Money as sort of a voice of (slackerish) reason among a bunch of self-absorbed rich people, not that she wasn't all that self-absorbed herself, but without the money to really indulge in said self-absorption. 

With Paltrow, I just always feel like I'm watching her "do her craft" -- but that may be unfair on my part since I haven't seen much of her besides Shakespeare in Love.  And I'm not even sure I've seen the whole flick.  But in Royal Tennenbaums and Running With Scissors (what I saw of it), I still got the "oh, look -- I'm acting" vibe.  It's probably me, not her.

What the hell do I know, anyway? Not much.

law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: January 30, 2008, 07:19:44 PM »

what the hell do any of us know, unless were kid carter or stayed in a holiday inn last night?
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »

harrie, I know what you mean about "doing her craft". My hunch is  that habit develops early and remains unconscious if your mother was what they now call " a female actor".  I mean, Blythe Danner was not all that bad. Now was she? But, that's a lot of influence with which to grow up.

I didn't mind it so much with Paltrow's appearance as: Sylvia.   At least there was Daniel Craig to look at.  And, in actor's parlance, he kind of tears up the scenery. Which has now stood him in good stead, if they retain him for the Bond role.

Gwyneth  was also not bad in a little adapted from the stage film, Proof, opposite both Jake Gyllenhaal and Anthony Hopkins on the same bill, although the subject matter is a tad esoteric outside of academia but says something about the morality of a new custom: stretching the truth
which was previously never condoned under university auspices. But, I guess when you hit a period in which G.Bush can pick up judge Sam Alito who went on record of approving discrimination at one of America's historically first colleges, maybe the movies have to express that truth will out.

Granted, Gwyneth performed as somewhat a plain Jane in this one, the professor's daughter like so many coeds in a hoody who never wears makeup, but she had a contract as a representative model with Estee Lauder by the time that she made her brief appearance for Infamous and stopped the show; as a signal that we were about to see another moral tale that appearances are deceiving,  while faking friendship, and that it wrecks emotional havoc when infatuation with an idea leads to falling through the trap-door of love.
BorisBartenov
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: January 31, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »

Mainly, I just put Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow behind me and moved on.  Lots of Gwyn's sideways is visible in that thing she did with Ethan Hawke, some bit of film vaporware that involved artists and possibly Canada and possibly murder.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: January 31, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »

Oh, gads,yes, I caught that on tv. It was some kind of classic remake but I forget what of, Dickens, I expect because Miss Haversham was on board.  Those were two of the most unlikely lovers ever to be set up.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2008, 02:53:44 AM »

I'm waiting for a movie that includes Angelina, Gwyn and Jen all together.  That would really be something.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »

Dzimas,

First you look up their filmography and figure out who were their directors for which of their films were successful (not by your own taste but, ugh,the public taste which never ceases to amaze me, which is why I sometimes ask stupid questions of jbottle when as this week Juno has better box office than There Will Be Blood despite the award and the publicity).

Then you have to survey  not those directors but the producers who hired that director( having determined which has the best clout) pitch him an offer, which if one has the money could  confirm you as an independent producer and he'll say, "you make it."  Follow me so far. Only when you have the production connection do you go ahead and approach each of the stars' agents in turn who will haggle with the other agents once they have notified their  star who is asking,"who else has signed on?" because they are very picky about who they will appear with, success especially recent success makes one desirable. Not that it will be any time soon that the film is actually in the can. You see, everything is of the moment, not only because the stars attention span is short but they are operating  on the vanity of who is important enough to work with me?  That is  why the agent does this dirty work ahead of time because agents can be fired and a more agreeable agent found who as Burns said(not George but Robert) does see you  as others see you. Which is why stars have the gift ...God gee ya.

But we are already a head of our story, where is the money? or, Show me the money! And who ever is putting up, or whoever is raising the money will be doing it because of the story.  Story by whom? Although history tells us in some cases in your theoretical filming starring two geese and a swan or two swans and a goose or however you figure it, one can have a figurative scenario of how you see it, if you are financing a percentage favorable enough, and a writer is picked up.   On the other hand nowadays, your experience in critical analysis of film at nytimes.com as well as what is going on  with the political perception in this country,and the fact that they sometimes but not that often read the books ,again at nytimes com., that actually had stories current to match up with political perception and public interest and which were best seller$

In other words, from the time that Paul Zweig reviewed Thomas Keneally's book,Schindler's List,for The New York Times, in 1984,it wasn't until 1993 that Spielberg made the film.

We can take for granted his interest and that he was informed as some of the Schindler Jews live in LA as well as Israel but that was then so few remain today. I don't recall seeing a book about Schindler until 1993 although I had read other material about him along the way, or references to him.

For instance, Robert De Niro took five years to produce The Good Shepherd, with screen writing from Eric Roth who has an excellent long record of films that were successes; but the public did not get who Matt Damon was in this film, nor did they like Angelina Jolie who played Margaret 'Clover' Russell. Yet, if her stock went down because of misperception on the part of her usual audience, it went right back up again playing Mariane Pearl, in: A Mighty Heart.

And, only God knows? that Bruce Paltrow's daughter may have Steven Spielberg in her life somewhere as the equivalent of a god-father considering that baptism is not a current fad among the Industry's Jews and I don't even know if she was Bas Mitzvahed? I forget as much as I ever knew. But this last few days, I've been told somewhere that people weren't even interested in books much less films about the Nazi period until Kennedy had been assassinated. Maybe you said it? Or it was something you posted (in one or the other history forum) or it may have been the contention of you know who?

And i have not even covered Jennifer Aniston because I watched that tv show maybe three times in the long run, more out of interest in the zany ability of Lisa Kudrow,"female actor" par excellence.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: February 01, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

And this was what I really came to post about:

George Clooney snubbed by UN

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/people,635,george-clooney-laughs-off-un-snub,15863
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: February 04, 2008, 03:53:49 AM »

I'm waiting for a movie that includes Angelina, Gwyn and Jen all together.  That would really be something.

Maddy, I think a cinematic version of Three Sisters might work.  Too bad Louis Malle is no longer around, but David Mamet might be audacious enough to try it?  Although I see he is busy with Joan of Bark, The Dog that Saved France,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414181/

madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: February 04, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »

Here's the 1943 cover of Time Magazine for the production in that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1101421221_400.jpeg

I'm afraid Ruth Gordon is the only one of The Three Sisters  who is still contemporaneously recognizeable to the public at large (because of her appearance with Bud Cort, in Harold and Maud ; or, Rosemary's Baby,for that matter); although I did see Judith Anderson on stage sometime in the 1950s and can't for the life of me figure out what she would have been  doing on tour of the sticks at the time since she was far better known for her Medea in that period? I was under the impression that I'd seen her in Brecht's,Caucasian Chalk Circle but I find no listing in Int.Broadway Data Base that she ever did the role.

And, although, Laurence Olivier directed the film version in 1970 and played the role of Dr.Chebutikin, with a very good cast which included his wife Joan Plowright(as Masha) who has become popular with Americans over the years, as well as Derek Jacobi(as Andrei), I'm afraid that Chekov's family dramas are not well known in general to the American public in our era.

Wallace  Shawn tried again post-Olivier  to interest us in Chekov with Vanya on 42nd.St. and that was eventually made into a film by Louis Malle, translation by David Mamet, and starred Julianne Moore, with the opportunity to view it on television.

You and I have talked about this production before --http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109491/
Or, Uncle Vanya, known as: Country Life, with Greta Scacchi and Sam Neill,in1994. He has, by the way, six films in production,post-production,filming, or complete at this time!

Obviously, Chekov's play with the most profound effect in the US has been:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SakuraHealed.png               
The Cherry Orchard

Perhaps, it applies to now?

E.G. Marshall, Helen Hayes, and Susan Strasburg, were in the 1959  production for Play of the Week television series.  Meryl Streep played at Lincoln Center in 1977 as Varya. Cacoyannis filmed Charlotte Rampling as Ranevskaya with Alan Bates,in1999.  Annette Bening as Ranevskaya and Alfred Molina as Lophakin, appeared at the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles  two years ago.

I think that Three Sisters is probably too dense a scenario for Angelina,Gwyneth, and Jennifer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:18:42 PM by madupont » Logged
Dzimas
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: February 05, 2008, 04:35:38 AM »

I think that Three Sisters is probably too dense a scenario for Angelina,Gwyneth, and Jennifer.

My tongue was in cheek on that one, maddy, but they can always dumb the play down to suit their relative acting abilities.  It has been done before.

I don't think Mamet translated Uncle Vanya, as there are many fine translations available.  He adapted it to suit Malle's cinematic vision which made the play into a rehearsal as I remember.  Very well done. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:38:12 AM by Dzimas » Logged
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: February 05, 2008, 10:44:41 AM »

Why I presented a cross-section of American exposure to Chekov is that I have seldom run into people  outside of theatre who were the least bit interested.  As a child, I knew that Chekov was a doctor(like a number of other writers)because my father was; and, that he had actually practiced medicine (so the period, he writes about is a major change). By the time that I approached middle-age, sitting around  in my parents' yard listening to my niece do her English reading lessons, watching as my siblings come and go from the house, the "boys" smoking cigarettes in the back yard, singularly, coming there one by one, while our father was dying in the little bedroom which had once been their nursery, I knew where I was  sitting in that world as Chekov has seen it.

He's a family dramatist but he's an historian.

Which of the  "three sisters",Angelina,Gwyneth,Jennifer, will have greatly improved herself for the post-bourgeois world, when the newer leftist playwrights emerge from the Gold Coast?   

I'm betting on Jolie.
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: February 06, 2008, 02:23:28 AM »

Director David Lynch, creator of dark and violent films, lectured at college campuses about the ''ocean of tranquility'' he found in more than 30 years of practicing transcendental meditation.

In a telephone interview with The Associated Press, Lynch said it has aided him ''in every aspect of life,'' including his creative work.

He said he believed the Maharishi has laid the groundwork for world peace, even if that was not immediately apparent from world affairs.

''The world appears in bad shape on the surface, but I compare it to a tree: there are yellow sickly leaves dropping off but the Maharishi has brought nourishment to the roots. Hang on for a little while longer, it's coming.''

Lynch said he experienced a mixture of feelings about the Maharishi's death: ''It's a big, big sorrow, and yet you know, he's in a very good place. He always was. Peace is coming.''

Some 5 million people devoted 20 minutes every morning and evening reciting a simple sound, or mantra, and delving into their consciousness.

Excerpt from an A.P. bulletin tonight while waiting for the Super Tuesday to quit being so super.
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:59 AM »

http://tinyurl.com/yuy74x

Louella Parsons
1881-1972

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 01:11:21 AM by pugetopolis » Logged

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
madupont
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: February 08, 2008, 05:09:17 AM »

New Rules. New word. Celebutantes.

http://youtube.com/user/Celebutantes1

Couldn't make up my mind whether this goes here, or in book review, or in Movies, of course, Movies even though this isn't a movie. It is a book  by two West Coasters, one of whom is Dennis Hopper's daughter.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: