Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 23, 2018, 10:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43
  Print  
Author Topic: Religion and Politics  (Read 6969 times)
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

Resue when he was a cute little kitten

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #615 on: April 24, 2008, 10:16:32 PM »

The license plate gig is more bothersome, frankly, since it cuts to the core of the Constitution.

As for making it illegal for illegals to work , wouldn't that be redundant?

No, I think the license plate is less bothersome. If it is OK to say "I believe" on a license plate, it will have to be judged OK to say "I don't believe" or "I feel gay tonight" on a license plate. The two will cancel each other out, and license plates will be like bumper stickers, likely to say anything that sells.

Making it a felony to work is what bothers me. These people are coming here, escaping from oppression, and we are setting them up for failure.
Donotremove
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #616 on: April 24, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »

He's baaack.  The Reverend Jeremiah Wright has captured the press with his "speaking out for the first time" interview with Bill Moyers (PBS Friday at 9:00 Central Time.)  Good timing, Reverend.  Just when Obama is trying to win Indiana voters, an uphill task at best.
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #617 on: April 24, 2008, 10:42:42 PM »

The sooner we let Obama and Wright go their separate ways, the sooner we can return to our value of freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Wright has every right to express himself if he so chooses. He is no longer Obama's pastor. I will undoubtedly not see the tv show because it just isn't hubby's thing, but will look for what is said the next day to see if Wright is given the right to express his reasons, and his beliefs, without it being tagged onto Obama.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #618 on: April 25, 2008, 11:15:26 AM »

The license plate gig is more bothersome, frankly, since it cuts to the core of the Constitution.

As for making it illegal for illegals to work , wouldn't that be redundant?

No, I think the license plate is less bothersome. If it is OK to say "I believe" on a license plate, it will have to be judged OK to say "I don't believe" or "I feel gay tonight" on a license plate. The two will cancel each other out, and license plates will be like bumper stickers, likely to say anything that sells.

Making it a felony to work is what bothers me. These people are coming here, escaping from oppression, and we are setting them up for failure.

No, it's more than that. It's the state promoting fundraising efforts for a particular religion, implying that Christianity is the official state religion of FLA.

Offensive and WRONG!

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #619 on: April 25, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »

to me, it would be no different that NY having mets, yankees, rangers, bills, isles and knicks plate, as long as you cover all faiths equally and no plate is offensive to another faith.  e.g., a 'jesus loves you' plate is ok, but 'you jews are going to hell' would be somewhat troubling, i.e., i'd set your f&*king car on fire.
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #620 on: April 25, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »

I might get a "FUK FLA" plate here in NJ.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #621 on: April 25, 2008, 01:13:22 PM »

how about 'dela valley is for douchebags'?
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #622 on: April 25, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »

how about 'dela valley is for douchebags'?

how about "Visit Red Bank and Swim in Sewage"?

thecap0

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #623 on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »

Ut,

how about "Visit Red Bank and Swim in Sewage"?

How about, "Visit Philadelphia and watch a minor leaguer try to play MLB for the Phillies"?
law120b

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #624 on: April 25, 2008, 02:37:33 PM »

how about 'my religion is philliesuckism'?
weezo
Poll Manager
Superhero Member

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #625 on: April 25, 2008, 03:19:37 PM »

How about, "Take your church and shovel it!"
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #626 on: April 25, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »

how about 'my religion is philliesuckism'?

How 'bout: "Mookie is My Rabbi"?

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #627 on: April 28, 2008, 09:31:10 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/28/prayer.death.ap/index.html
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2008, 08:50:44 AM »

What will be their defense?

"It was God's will. You can't argue with that, now, can you, Mr. Prosecutor?"

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #629 on: June 24, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »

Dead forum

Clear it out
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43
  Print  

Jump to: