Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 20, 2018, 11:18:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Comedy  (Read 6709 times)
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: February 27, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »

Redd Foxx used to like to emphasize that he didn't use profanity. He just talked about things we all did.

"You ain't ever fuck? She-e-e-e-et. You ain't ever shit? FUCK!"
obertray

« Reply #241 on: February 28, 2008, 09:14:25 AM »

Redd Foxx followed that up by saying, "I'll make you say shit, fuck and nigger! I'll take you out back, slam your fingers in the door of my Cadilliac! You'll say 'Shit, nigger! What the fuck you doin?!'

Redd Foxx is so tame by comparison to today!
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: February 28, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »

Perhaps, but he was ahead of his time. One of my favorite Sanford and Son episodes was one that found Fred fighting a traffic ticket in court. He complained that cops unfairly target minorities and, of course, the judge denied it. Fred's response (paraphrased)...

"You kidding! There's enough niggers in here to make a Tarzan movie."

That show addressed DWB (driving while black) long before the term became part of the drug policy reform movement.

I miss Redd.
obertray

« Reply #243 on: February 28, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »

Yes indeed!

I remember listening to Redd and to LaWanda Page albums with the kitchen crew at Lake Minnewaska way back in the days.

If you have a subscription plan to a music service, they often have those old comedy albums. They're great. Redd Foxx telling jokes is like no one else, he's extremely hard to steal a joke from and make it as funny as when he did it. And I don't even know why. But its like the "Everybody does it!" joke It's easy to tell, but almost impossible to tell better than he does.
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: February 28, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »

How 'bout Moms Mabley? 
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

Willie Randolph's Real Killers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: February 29, 2008, 06:46:33 AM »

Tomorrow's National Pig Day. AS Jack Parr used to say, "I kid you not!"

Think Rosie O'Donnell will be celebrating?

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
obertray

« Reply #246 on: February 29, 2008, 10:08:38 AM »

How 'bout Moms Mabley? 

As Freddy Prinz said that Mom's Mabley said about him "You kin keep them black boys; they all chicken. I want me a wild porta ricken!"

I think that Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle are both very funny. Richard Pryor was just about the best ever. But they're barely considered "Blue' anymore!

Meanwhile, when Eddie Murphy did Raw, it turned me off to him for a large number of years. To me that is still a standard of Blue that has not been topped (Dice Clay came close but he forgot to be anything but offensive.)

Oh, and I still enjoy listening to Bill Cosby. He's another one that you can't steal jokes from. The thing about BC is that when you have several people that know the material, you can all laugh yourselves sick just by hitting the posts "Hey you, almost a doctor..." "But Dad, I'm Jesus Christ!" "Spread my Jello all over the floor" " There's invisible black snakes in the room... you'll puff up and die till morning!" "Sprang, You're well, go out and play!"
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

Racist.

"That guy over there played with Ty Cobb," said Phillies bench coach Jimy Williams, pointing to Chase Utley. "He's been here before."  quoted in the Boston Globe
Urethra_Franklin

Make Brook our Rook

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: March 01, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »

Facist

"Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just."

--Thomas Jefferson
nytempsperdu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: March 01, 2008, 06:26:21 PM »

One of my fave of Bill Cosby's was his being told as a young'un not to play with his belly button or he'd pop it & fly around the room like a popped balloon, so for a while he wore a band-aid over it. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:02:17 PM by nytempsperdu » Logged
obertray

« Reply #250 on: March 01, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »

Ice cream! We're gonna have Ice cream!
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2008, 05:54:42 PM »

Facist

You have no idea how funny that really is, given the spelling you used.

Isn't it time for you to run along and plan your new McDonald's menu for your marketing class, btw?

Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2008, 12:38:41 AM »

Today is the only day of the year thats also a directive.

March forth my peoples!  Its March 4th.  The fourth of March, from whence we go forth.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
pugetopolis
Superhero Member

Ink Inc.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: March 04, 2008, 03:40:23 AM »

Hairy Haiku

“Harry is not so bad after all. Even so, it seems very unlikely that he'll ever be crowned King of England. Chances are he will lead a life largely bereft of meaning, plagued by paparazzi and devoid of any real sense of accomplishment. Perhaps the real trouble is that men of royal blood, by their nature, need new lands to conquer. Why not give Prince Harry a crack contingent of Gurkha fighting men and set him loose on some war-ravaged region, where he can establish his own princely state as a latter-day white rajah?”  http://thecurrent.theatlantic.com/

My dear Prince Harry—
You can be my white rajah
Any day you want…

“Other people's obsessions
are more often funny than tragic.”
—Vincent Canby, The New York Times
Kam
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: March 04, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »

Not funny.

You know when, like, you're little, your dad, you think he's Superman. Then when you grow up and realize he's just a regular guy who wears a cape.
-Dave Attell
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: