Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 21, 2018, 05:11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33
  Print  
Author Topic: Comedy  (Read 10479 times)
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2008, 07:04:20 AM »

Lesson in sneezing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0G1DGCWwI

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2008, 07:38:36 AM »

Ok... here's a laugh -- a business name that you won't easily forget:

Happened upon a Bunghole Liquors not too long ago...

Yeah, look it up. Grin

Don't dance on a volcano...
Bartlebythescribbler
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2008, 11:22:33 AM »

Har!  "I am Cornholio...."

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »

...from Lake Titicaca?

ok, enough, already!

MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

Incontinentus Buttocks.

Bartlebythescribbler
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »

Do you find something WISIBLE about the name Biggus Dickus?

obertray

« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2008, 01:28:49 PM »

No takers on the puzzle huh? Oh well... no big.
Bartlebythescribbler
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2008, 01:38:31 PM »

Our family were mostly players of Scrabble or chess.  My nonparticipation was due to large ignorance of card games and complexities thereof.   I seem to remember something about Wild Bill Hickok turning over an Ace of Spades right before he was shot dead, but that's about it for my card folklore knowledge.

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2008, 01:41:48 PM »

I was interested in the answer. Sorry about not asking for it.
kitinkaboodle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »

What I know about cards could fill a teacup -- no too big -- a thimble --  no  -- maybe a dimple Tongue

ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2008, 01:50:19 PM »

There ya go, obertray. Enquiring minds wanna know.

Meanwhile, here's Uncle Jay... http://www.unclejayexplains.com/
ponderosa

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »

Inquiring?
Bartlebythescribbler
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »

There is probably comedy potential in cards -- "spades," in damonrunyonesque milieus, referred to African-Americans.  "Clubs" offers diverting multiple meanings.  Angela Lansbury fiddled with Laurence Harvey's brain, using the queen of diamonds, in the Manchu Candidate.  And there is the Wilson sisters, singing about the queen of hearts.  Well, enough Jack-ing off.

obertray

« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

Warning, this is the answer to the puzzle above. If you are working on it you may not want to look, or you might.

The answers from the bottom up are.

He is alone, so he is playing solitaire. The seven cards are the sequence that he would deal if he did not shuffle the deck before he dealt.

So we see that the keys are that it's solitaire and that it's the deal that is the sequence.

In the next sequence the first card dealt is an ace, the next card facing up is the 8 and it is the eigth card that is dealt. The other's in the sequence are also the number on the units up to card number 28, which is the last 8.

The counting sequence is the key to the next clue too.

In this sequence however we skip a step of the progression (where we might go 1234567, 123456, 71234, 5....) and count out the deal 1234567, 2234567, 3234567, 4.... which gives us ace 2 7 5 2 5 last number 7 each number being the number that hits the counted number.

The hardest clue requires you to know a little more than I know right here. There is a classic stack to a deck of cards that makes the deck look perfectly random it's stacked such that the cards run Spades, Diamonds, Clubs, Hearts and start at ace and jump by 3 numbers. So the first card is Ace of Spades, the second card is the 4 of Diamonds the third is the 7 of Clubs and the fourth is the 10 of Hearts, the fifth card is the King of Spades and the its 3,6,9, Queen. The eigth card then is the 9 of Diamonds that is the second card in our sequence. Like I said, this is trivia, and hard trivia to boot, if you don't know this particular stack, you're not going to be able to figure out the answer. I am under the impression that this is a classic stack, I just forget what the name of it is.

The last card is the 4 of Diamonds. The next card displayed is the third card from the top of the deck of undealt cards. 4 to 7, 10, King Diamond to club, heart Spade. When our player sees the King of Spades he knows for certain that he is playing with a stacked deck, and so he kills the cheater (as Billy did to Stagger Lee).

Thanks for asking. If I send this into Games magazine, you can amaze your friends by knowing the answer!

Added later, The stack is called the Si Stebbins stack http://www.expertvillage.com/video/14734_sistebbins-setup.htm and the classic start would be Clubs then hearts spades diamonds..  Mine still works and would work if I just shifted the spades to clubs  etc (that's the beauty of a stacked deck) The video also says that this stack is the classic.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:51:18 PM by obertray » Logged
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »

There is probably comedy potential in cards -- "spades," in damonrunyonesque milieus, referred to African-Americans.  "Clubs" offers diverting multiple meanings.  Angela Lansbury fiddled with Laurence Harvey's brain, using the queen of diamonds, in the Manchu Candidate.  And there is the Wilson sisters, singing about the queen of hearts.  Well, enough Jack-ing off.

Stephen Stills sang about a "Black Queen", but I never knew if it was spades or clubs.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 33
  Print  

Jump to: