Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 19, 2018, 08:03:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 467
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 36609 times)
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:31 PM »

What happened at NY Times?  Looks like a number of you made the jump?

(formerly sswingate)
liquidsilver
Superhero Member

Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »

They cut off all the forums except for Classical Music, Opera, and some Reading groups.   I guess lack of revenue from the advertising was the reason for the forums demise

"I hate listening to peoples dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in any of them and nobody's having sex, I just don't care."
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2007, 11:16:49 AM »

Ok, well now seems as good a time as any to start promoting the team.

It's official, Mitch Mustain has transfered to USC  from Arkansas.

John David Bootie will still be #1 QB this year, but next year,  TWO Prep Army All -American QBs will be vying dor the starting job.  Mustain and Mark Sanchez, who won the honor the year before Mustain. 

The future's so bright, I gotta put my shades back on...

Mustain was no doubt influenced by the success of Matt Cassell who was drafted by the Patriots after never being the starting quarterback at USC (he was behind Carson Palmer and then Matt Leinart).
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 11:17:49 AM »

Gonna have two balls?

What does it matter?  All is grace.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 12:14:43 PM »

I assume they all come with the standard issue set, Whiskey...

Can I nominate myself for the LOW Highlights???
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »

Seems the President of the University of Florida has seen the light:

Story by David Climer
The Tennessean
June 2, 2007

DESTIN, Fla.--Now that Bernie Machen's playoff fever has
broken, the most likely avenue for change in the college
football postseason is the addition of one extra game.

And that so-called "plus-one" format--in which the teams
deemed Nos. 1 and 2 after all the bowls would square off
for the national title--cannot occur until the current Bowl
Championship Series contract expires following the 2009
postseason.

Machen, whose school is the reigning national champion in
both football and men's basketball, came to the SEC spring
meeting hoping to convince the other presidents that the
conference should take the lead in pursuing a playoff.

However, Machen surrendered after a one-hour exchange of
ideas among the presidents.

"They are persuaded, and I am now persuaded, that the best
way to proceed is to try to work within the BCS structure
to make some changes to make it better," Machen said.

"That seems to be a very good way to go. Being that we are
the leading football conference, we'll be able to be heard
in that regard."

Asked whether he would continue to pitch for a true
playoff, Machen shook his head and said:

"I'm done."

===========

Even SEC Presidents can be crazy, but not stupid.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 06:32:42 AM »

Just like old times, eh Jim?

I suppose now that Machen has the championship in Gainesville, the fervor for a playoff wore off, but more likely he saw the size of the brick wall he was up again.  The BCS is the equivalent of a college football mafia and as such they call the shots regardless what anyone else has to say on the matter.  For better and mostly worst, Division 1-A college football is wed to this ridiculous bowl system that was never meant to be anything more than post-season exhibition games.  God knows they've tried just about everyway to make this bowl system into some semblance of a playoff, but it has failed repeatedly.  No amount of tweaking is going to fix the system.  Certainly not a "plus-one" format, when there will remain three or four teams with a legitimate claim to the championship even after the bowl games.  The only way I see this system having any chance to work is if they set up 1-4 in bowl games, so that the winners square off in a BCS title game.  But, 5-8 will no doubt complain at being left out of the picture.  So it goes.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »

good to see you here Jim
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 12:36:58 AM »

Trojan Horse.....
Thanks.

Dzimas.......

Machen changed his mind after meeting with SEC brethern.   Aren't these the same guys who railed against the BCS before Florida beat out  Michigan?

The fact of the matter remains that no matter how you dress up the playoff model you cannot deliver post season play to 7 or 8 SEC teams or 64 total teams that the Bowls do.
Dzimas
Superhero Member

I thought you said your name was Nobody.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 01:37:13 AM »

You can't seem to get past the idea that a playoff system will me the death of the bowls.  You can still have bowl games, you can still have 60 teams playing in the post-season, it is just that 8-16 of them will be playing for a championship.  What is so hard to imagine abou that.  As it is, the bowls have been rendered totally superfluous to the BCS championship game.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 10:50:15 AM »

Cal tate Fullerton lost their last 4-5 games of the regular season and fell to 5th place in the Big West division.  The NCAA granted them an at large berth no doubt due to their history of winning tradition and the fact that they at least knew they would be competitive in their role as filler meat for the other teams that legitimately qualified for the tournament rounds.

CSUF went on a streak and is now going to the finals.  I'm from Orange COunty and I'm thrilled to see them in there, but come on, how is that right?

This is exactly what Jim does not want to see in college football.  And neither do I.  I would be ok with a four team playoff...any more than that and I think you have a big problem in football.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2007, 12:09:26 PM »

Can't wait for football season...

TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 02:32:49 AM »

I saw Paul McDonald at a party tonight.  He feels the Trojans will have an incredible defense this year.

Josh Pinkard is back --remember after the game one injury last year, his replacement turned out to be true freshman Taylor Mays.

They have so much speed on defense, it should be another great season.  But Oregon and Cal away will be very tough games.  They also need to get out of Nebraska alive this year...
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 02:36:07 AM »

I know I'm going to take some crap this year right off the bat though.  I kept making fun of SEC teams the last few years for scheduling cupcakes.  Sure they always claimed that they had a togher team on the schedule that backed out at the last minute, but who believes that line???

Welll..this year it happened to us and we haev Idaho on the schedule as the first game.   ooops  Smiley

hope strength of schedule doesn't bite us in the butt this year...
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 11:09:52 AM »

I would be ok with a four team playoff...any more than that and I think you have a big problem in football.

At first glance you would think that this should be sufficient. Usually, most argument centers around who qualifies for the second spot and should thus be allowed to play No. 1 for the championship (see last year before the championship game.--who's no.2, Michigan or Florida?). But should they start a 4-team tournament just watch the arguments that would ensue over who is the real number 4 team in the country...(probably number 3 too!).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:11:55 AM by Driver125 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 467
  Print  

Jump to: