Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 20, 2018, 10:36:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 494
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 54182 times)
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 11:50:58 AM »

I saw Paul McDonald at a party tonight.  He feels the Trojans will have an incredible defense this year.

Josh Pinkard is back --remember after the game one injury last year, his replacement turned out to be true freshman Taylor Mays.

They have so much speed on defense, it should be another great season.  But Oregon and Cal away will be very tough games.  They also need to get out of Nebraska alive this year...
USC is one of the teams I'm giving strong thought to as the #2 team in the country in my Top 11, behind Michigan State.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2007, 11:11:51 AM »

No question...that argument will begin, but it will be extended to the #9 team in an 8 team playoff...etc.

There are legitimate questions --as we have all painfully experienced over the last few years as to who should have a right to be that #2 team.  Take the 02-03 Championship, where Oklahoma, LSU and USC all had one loss.   USC was ranked #1 in both of the major polls, and yet came out #3 in the BCS ranking that year.

This argument is not likely to legitimately extend out past four teams in my opinion -- although I suppose it could happen...
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2007, 11:28:15 AM »

"Painful"Huh

What was painful for SoCal?

It was declared the AP National Champion and won the Rose Bowl and would have been a threepeat  had Vince Young not been around

"Painful" is what would describe the non- existent post season for 48 deserving teams if a playoff would ever be embraced.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 01:20:03 PM »

Jim,  I'm probably as close to a supporter as you've had around, so I'm not arguing for the elimination of the bowl system.

What I'm doing is arguing against extending a playoff to more than 4 teams.  This could be handled without upsetting the current bowls.

All existing BCS bowl games are held on New Years Day and then a championship game one week (or two weeks) later.  Not much difference now, except 1-4 would alternate between Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 01:21:11 PM »

USC is one of the teams I'm giving strong thought to as the #2 team in the country in my Top 11, behind Michigan State.

You crack me up WP...I am honored to be #2, "behind" Michigan State in your pre-season poll...
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 07:03:17 PM »

Jim,  I'm probably as close to a supporter as you've had around, so I'm not arguing for the elimination of the bowl system.

What I'm doing is arguing against extending a playoff to more than 4 teams.  This could be handled without upsetting the current bowls.

All existing BCS bowl games are held on New Years Day and then a championship game one week (or two weeks) later.  Not much difference now, except 1-4 would alternate between Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar.

Only the Rose and Fiesta Bowls are played on New Year's.  The Orange and Sugar Bowls happen the next two succeeding nights. College games take so long to play that it is impossible to get fit more than two into prime viewing times to pay the costs.

The Rose Bowl wants no part of a plus one format while the other BCS Bowls are lukewarm since there is no guarantee that any of the potential teams would bring close to a traditional matchup.  Further, with a game hanging on the outcome of the Bowls , tickets to the to the Rose, Fiesta,Orange and Sugar would be harder to sell and the time spent at the host cities shortened.

Any "plus one Championship game" will fall on a weeknight 10-14 days after New Year's because of the NFL playoffs making travel for the fans  even harder.

A plus one simply moves the controversy on who is number 3 to who is number 5 and, for the reasons stated above, is simply not worth it.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 01:18:16 AM »

I believe I could get behind a four team playoff, held in two of the major bowls on a rotating basis each New Year's, followed by a championship game one week later. The arguments will always go on as to who deserves to go into the tournament no matter how large you make the field. I think the most important thing is that you get the TWO BEST teams into the tournament. Out of four choices surely there would be some sort of consensus that at least the top 2 teams were somewhere in that group of four, and after that they could battle it out on the field.
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 12:12:21 PM »

I believe I could get behind a four team playoff, held in two of the major bowls on a rotating basis each New Year's, followed by a championship game one week later. The arguments will always go on as to who deserves to go into the tournament no matter how large you make the field. I think the most important thing is that you get the TWO BEST teams into the tournament. Out of four choices surely there would be some sort of consensus that at least the top 2 teams were somewhere in that group of four, and after that they could battle it out on the field.

We already have a system pitting the best two teams in a Bowl Game while leaving 31 other bowl games for interesting and exciting match ups.   Computers and human polling rate the teams in either system.  Why should the top two teams have to play another game to reach a so-called "championship" game when their claim has already been on the line for 12 previous games.

College football already has the most exciting regular season of all the major sports and a post season that offers games to one and a half million people who combine the sport with a vacation.

It does not get any better than this.

Well, maybe not for any fan of Temple. 

But no system is perfect.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »

We already have a system pitting the best two teams in a Bowl Game

Yes, but are they truly the two best teams? Surprisingly, the BCS system seems to have done quite well at this, after all is said and done. But that still does not diminish the amount of complaining before the championship game by fans from teams who believe that their team has a legitimate claim to one of the top two spots. What I'm saying is that it is not as important to make sure that the eighth best team in the country (for instance) is included in some type of tournament, even though they might be perfectly capable of defeating any of the other teams on a given day. What I'm saying is that a four team playoff should satisfy any legitimate claim to be in the championship competition. Does anyone reasonably claim that a team that is ranked further down than number four is really the best team in the country?

leaving 31 other bowl games for interesting and exciting match ups.

P.S.-I can't really agree with this so much. Back before there was a championship game I felt that the bowls were much more interesting due to the fact that your team could end up No. 1 by winning your bowl game and, perhaps if you needed some help, a team above you in the polls might lose their bowl game, and so on. Now, if you care about being No. 1, you're in the big game or you have no chance.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 11:32:22 PM »

Why should the top two teams have to play another game to reach a so-called "championship" game when their claim has already been on the line for 12 previous games.

Obviously, because my 12 previous games might not come anywhere near equaling your 12 previous games in degree of difficulty. Utah had a nice team last year but was playing in their conference the equivalent of playing in the Pac 10? No way. Same with out of conference scheduling. Some teams want to play the tough teams to make their own team tough, while some schedule cream puffs just to get a scrimmage and a game in the "W" column.
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 11:57:13 PM »

Why should the top two teams have to play another game to reach a so-called "championship" game when their claim has already been on the line for 12 previous games.

Obviously, because my 12 previous games might not come anywhere near equaling your 12 previous games in degree of difficulty. Utah had a nice team last year but was playing in their conference the equivalent of playing in the Pac 10? No way. Same with out of conference scheduling. Some teams want to play the tough teams to make their own team tough, while some schedule cream puffs just to get a scrimmage and a game in the "W" column.

Thats why we have computers and polls.

Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »

Thats why we have computers and polls

Which pretty much leads us back to the whole root of the argument. Should computers and polls determine who is no. 1 or should play on the field? And once again I emphasize that this all revolves around claims (and a case can certainly be made for certain teams in past years) that some teams who are ranked no. 3 are better or more deserving to be in the championship game than, say, the no. 2 ranked team (and in fact they sometimes think that they are better than the no. 1 ranked team) (See Auburn, or So. Cal in the past couple of years). Of course, all of this is just for the sake of argument and bragging rights. The world is not going to stop turning because a certain football team ends up ranked no. 1 over some other team.
jmmengel

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 03:22:53 PM »

None of the computers and neither poll ranked Auburn higher than third.

SoCal was named number one by AP and won its NC, giving us 2 national champions that year.

And we all lived to talk about it.

There is no known formula in any sport that guarantees it's so called champion is the best team of the year....but college football comes the closest....and does so through an exciting regular season and a post season offering the most games to the most fans.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »

There is no known formula in any sport that guarantees it's so called champion is the best team

Correct. And nobody is saying that there could be such a thing. All that I and many others are saying is that there could be a better way than what we have, a way that depends more upon what happens on the football field and less upon computers and people's opinions and perceptions. In reality, was Southern Cal at least a no. 2 level team last year after seeing what they did to Michigan (a team that seldom lies down in a bowl game)? In reality, did Ohio State just play a poor game against Florida or were they not quite deserving of that no. 1 ranking. After stumbling around most of the season and barely winning at least 2 of their games in their regular season competition did anyone believe that Florida would BLOW OUT OSU?
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2007, 06:00:47 PM »

Driver

You obviously don't have a previous realtionship with Jim...

Stating your case is one thing, but don't hope to change his opinion...it ain't gonna happen...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 494
  Print  

Jump to: