Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
April 19, 2018, 05:50:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 488
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 43211 times)
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6660 on: January 02, 2018, 08:46:07 PM »

Jim, do have a question for me that I can help you with?

As much as you want to try  DJ, I don't think you could help him with 'duh whut?'

I'm not sure anyone can help him.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
DeeJ

« Reply #6661 on: January 02, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »

not any more

Great.  Always glad to help you, Jim.

BTW,  how did the lawsuit between Spielman and OSU turnout?
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6662 on: January 02, 2018, 08:55:02 PM »

not any more

Great.  Always glad to help you, Jim.

BTW,  how did the lawsuit between Spielman and OSU turnout?
I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.
DeeJ

« Reply #6663 on: January 02, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »

As much as you want to try  DJ, I don't think you could help him with 'duh whut?'

I'm not sure anyone can help him.

Cap, Jim and I have had a real breakthrough these past few weeks.  It started with Jim's Fantastic Fortnight which I extended indefinitely.  I'm starting to feel a real connection with Jim and I really hope we can be pals.
Jim is much better than he lets on and he just needs to come out of his shell a little more to really let his light shine throughout Elba.  On his political side, I see no hope at all.  But sportswise, Jim is growing and is reaching for new heights.  I am just in awe as to how much your helping Jim has made him a better person.
I just want to aid your efforts anyway I can. 
Challenge?  Sure. But the rewards are beyond words.
DeeJ

« Reply #6664 on: January 02, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »

not any more

Great.  Always glad to help you, Jim.

BTW,  how did the lawsuit between Spielman and OSU turnout?
I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

I agree with Spielman's position.  I thought all the images had been taken down.  Is he trying to collect
Money from OSU?  Is it a class-action case?  Where is this case in the court system?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:08:27 PM by DeeJ » Logged
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6665 on: January 02, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

I agree with Spielman's position.  I thought all the images had been taken down.  Is he trying to collect
Money from OSU?  Is it a class-action case?  Where is this case in the court system?
It is searchable online if you have the skills of a ten year old.
DeeJ

« Reply #6666 on: January 02, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

Jim,  Your thoughts are much more interesting than anything searchable online.  I am struck by the difference in your thinking on the O'Bannon case awhile back which was on the related topic of athletes' images and their use.  Seems you have had a change of heart, Jim. No?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:25:37 PM by DeeJ » Logged
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6667 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:12 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

Jim,  Your thoughts are much more interesting than anything searchable online.  I am struck by the difference in your thinking on the O'Bannon case awhile back which was on the related topic of athletes' images and their use.  Seems you have had a change of heart, Jim. No?
Not at all.
Are you afraid to research the Spielman Case?
DeeJ

« Reply #6668 on: January 02, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

Not at all.

You said O'Bannon was wrong;  now, you say you hope Spielman wins.  Seems like a change. Explain, please.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6669 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

Not at all.

You said O'Bannon was wrong;  now, you say you hope Spielman wins.  Seems like a change. Explain, please.
Explain what?
I never said O’bannon was wrong. His case is over and colleges now offer student-athletes additional compensation up to the full cost of attendance. Ergo no antitrust harm caused by NCAA amateurism rules. Federal courts blessed the outcome and SCOTUS refused all appeals.
As for Spielman he says any money he wins, if he does, he will donate to OSU Athletics.
Who would root against that?
DeeJ

« Reply #6670 on: January 02, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

Not at all.

Explain what?
I never said O’bannon was wrong. His case is over and colleges now offer student-athletes additional compensation up to the full cost of attendance. Ergo no antitrust harm caused by NCAA amateurism rules. Federal courts blessed the outcome and SCOTUS refused all appeals.
As for Spielman he says any money he wins, if he does, he will donate to OSU Athletics.

You said O'Bannon was wrong and would never win his case.  He did win.
Now, because OSU would benefit down the road, you are for a similar position taken by Spielman.
Plain as black and white to me, Jim, you abandoned the principles you claimed against O'Bannon and have taken up new principles in the Spielman case.
Thanks for shedding light on what others say about you on the political thread under your other name, Jim,
RedStateWard.

Looks like the end to our being pals, Jim.  Oh well, LOL.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6671 on: January 02, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »

not any more

I hope Spielman wins.
Not likely, though.

Not at all.

You said O'Bannon was wrong;  now, you say you hope Spielman wins.  Seems like a change. Explain, please.
Explain what?

You said O'Bannon was wrong and would never win his case.
Nope.
He did win.
Read my previous post. Slowly. Takes notes if you have to so you understand.

Now, because OSU would benefit down the road, you are for a similar position taken by Spielman.
So?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:16:35 PM by Espnthree » Logged
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6672 on: January 02, 2018, 10:47:59 PM »

Oh no….does this now open the option of suicide for you, Jim?
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6673 on: January 02, 2018, 10:53:05 PM »

Oh no….does this now open the option of suicide for you, Jim?
LOL
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6674 on: January 02, 2018, 11:13:08 PM »

And keep in mind that most of these supposedly educational institutions did not provide the quality of education in exchange for these young scholar-athletes services as they promised they would and certainly did not help keep them on track for a real degree.
That’s because these players did not attend Alabama or Ohio State to learn to be chemists…they went to those schools to play football. Period. All that thinking about the scholar/athlete is dead as a doornail at those schools, and the sooner people adjust to that reality the better off they will be. They go to Ohio State to play and compete with and against the best. They go there to further their future (hopeful) career in the NFL or the CFL. It’s more or less a full time job, with not a whole lot of time for books or classes on subjects that they have no interest in at all. Actually, if they could manage it, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a ‘plan B’, a backup plan centered on education, since only about 1% of them are going to make it to the professional athletic leagues, but you can’t tell that to these elite 17 year old athletes. Their thinking goes along the lines that if anyone in this damn locker room is going to make it it is going to me. And if it isn’t my sheer talent that does it I am going to work longer and harder than anyone else here to be that 1%.
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 488
  Print  

Jump to: