Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
February 23, 2018, 11:10:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 486
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 40070 times)
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7095 on: February 07, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »

It begins:

5 star Patrick Surtain picks Bama:

http://www.espn.com/recruiting/football/nsd/story/_/id/22355192/national-signing-day-2018-alabama-crimson-tide-georgia-bulldogs-get-top-available-recruits

Patrick Surtain Jr. and Tyson Campbell, the top two defensive backs in the ESPN 300, have been shutting down opposing receivers as high school teammates. They'll now be rivals in the SEC.

Surtain Jr., the No. 5 overall recruit and top available player left on national signing day, surprised many Wednesday by committing to the Alabama Crimson Tide over LSU. Campbell, the No. 9 overall recruit in the ESPN 300, chose the Georgia Bulldogs.

The Ohio State Buckeyes made a splash by landing Nicholas Petit-Frere, the No. 13 recruit who is the top offensive tackle in the Class of 2018.

Petit-Frere, whose recruitment of was a complete mystery up until a few days before signing day, had been considering Florida, Alabama, Notre Dame and Michigan. He left everyone in the dark about where he was leaning until he notified coaches of his decision Tuesday.

The Buckeyes had been looking for an offensive tackle in the class after missing on in-state prospect Jackson Carman, who committed to Clemson. The staff was in on ESPN 300 offensive lineman Rasheed Walker as well, but ultimately Petit-Frere decided to join the class.

The prospect from Tampa, Florida will join Taron Vincent, who is the No. 1 ranked defensive tackle, as well as the No. 1 ranked tight end in Jeremy Ruckert and the No. 1 ranked offensive center in Matthew Jones.

The Buckeyes came into the day ranked No. 2 overall with the second most ESPN 300 commitments, only to Texas. With the prospects on board, Ohio State will now finish with Urban Meyer's 12th top-10 recruiting class since 2006, which would be the most among FBS coaches * (**)

* If Nick Saban finishes with a Top Ten class for 2018 he will also have 12 since 2006.

** Saban also has 8 #1 classes since 2006. No other FBS coach has more than one.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:13:57 AM by CaptainCargo » Logged

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7096 on: February 07, 2018, 11:27:52 AM »

National Signing Day returned a bonus for tOSU.  Not only did it shore up the offensive line it kept defensive coach-genius Greg Shivano. Shivano will not, as rumored, be moving on as assistant for the New England Patriots.

And Schiano also helped land  five-star offensive tackle Nicholas Petit-Frere of Tampa (Florida) Berekely Prep over Florida, Alabama and others.
Petit-Frere may be the most significant coup of the recruiting cycle because of timing and need. Rated the No. 7 overall prospect and the No. 1 overall offensive tackle in the country, not only is Petit-Frere the highest-rated prospect in Ohio State's already-deep class, but he filled a huge need on the offensive line.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7097 on: February 07, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »

Jimbo flips Bobby Brown.

Otis Reese flips from Michigan to Georgia.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7098 on: February 07, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »

https://n.rivals.com/news/saban-bama-steal-top-corner-away-from-lsu

...the skill set the Tide are getting with Surtain is the important thing. Surtain has elite size and the athleticism to be a game-changing corner that will eventually land on an NFL roster. Grabbing the No. 1 cornerback in the country on Signing Day was imperative to the strong finish Nick Saban hoped to pull off. The importance of this get can’t be overstated. ...

dichotomous

Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7099 on: February 07, 2018, 11:47:02 AM »

Buckeyes applaud.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7100 on: February 07, 2018, 11:47:17 AM »

That should open up a scholarship for my daughter.

I don't know what happens when people die. Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try. It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear. That I can't sing. I can't help listening and I can't help feeling stupid standing around.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7101 on: February 07, 2018, 11:48:51 AM »

Only if she plays football.
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7102 on: February 07, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »

Only if she plays football.
And some folks around here accuse you of not having a sense of humor.....

I don't know what happens when people die. Can't seem to grasp it as hard as I try. It's like a song I can hear playing right in my ear. That I can't sing. I can't help listening and I can't help feeling stupid standing around.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7103 on: February 07, 2018, 01:03:12 PM »

My goal for the off-season is to not hear MSU's football program mentioned in a news headline.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7104 on: February 07, 2018, 01:42:36 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

dichotomous

kidcarter8
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7105 on: February 07, 2018, 01:45:10 PM »

Bigtime local North Jersey kid lands at E Carolina after bullying a  teammate.  Had committed to Penn State.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7106 on: February 07, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »

My goal for the off-season is to not hear MSU's football program mentioned in a news headline.

I felt that way just a  few years back
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7107 on: February 07, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »

Solomon Tuliaupupu  --   check!
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7108 on: February 07, 2018, 01:57:49 PM »

Olaijah Griffin  -- check!
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7109 on: February 07, 2018, 02:18:46 PM »

TOSU got a nice capper to the day with the signing four-star outside linebacker Javontae Jean-Baptiste of Oradell (New Jersey) Bergen Catholic.  He will give the Buckeyes depth on the defensive line.
For those keeping score OSU finished second to Georgia although it still had a higher average player rating in the 247Sports composite team rankings than Georgia by a slim margin, 94.29 to 94.23, the No. 2 and No. 3 highest individual player ratings for an entire class, respectfully, in the history of modern-day recruiting, trailing the mark the Buckeyes put up in 2017 (94.59)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:21:37 PM by Espnthree » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 486
  Print  

Jump to: