Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 18, 2018, 06:04:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 494
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 54012 times)
yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6585 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »

I was terribly, terribly saddened to see Michigan fall apart like that.  Go Maize and Blue!

The judge said "son what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't to have to die."
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6586 on: January 02, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »

I was terribly, terribly saddened to see Michigan fall apart like that.  Go Maize and Blue!

As was I, but for terribly terribly selfish reasons!

as an aside i was chatting with my kid a couple of days ago, and she's not a huge college football fan, but she was very aware and proud that (at the time) the B1G was undefeated in bowl games.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6587 on: January 02, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »

I was terribly, terribly saddened to see Michigan fall apart like that.  Go Maize and Blue!
I am terribly, terribly saddened to see you terribly, terribly saddened to see Michigan fall apart like that.

In fairness, the Cocks had a role in what happened to Meatchicken. And the primary reason for the collapse.was.there to be seen all game long: Meatchicken has no quarterback. If they had anyone who was even ccompetent to play the position post high school, they would have played in something better than the I'll Watch Until the Hangover Goes Away Bowl.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6588 on: January 02, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »

I will have to check out tronanhorse's pickles but it appears I have secured the coveted title of College Football Forum Bowl Prediction God, while bosox has safely secured the somewhat less coveted title of Most Wrong. This is what happens when you foolishly pick against one league, regardless.
It appears that strategy failed more than just Bosox.

Bad form, JumboNut, criticizing a strategy without having participated with one of your own.
Bad, Bad, Bad.

Yes maybe bad form. But actually his strategy is quite sound.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6589 on: January 02, 2018, 12:13:23 PM »

Final Conference Standings

B1G         7-1
Sun Belt   4-1
Big12       5-3
AAC         4-3
MtWest    3-3
ConUSA   4-5
SEC         4-5#
ACC         4-6
MAC         1-4
PAC12      1-8
Ind           2-0
MEAC       1-0
SWAC.     0-1

#SEC will finish 5-6
(Top 2 teams 3-1
All others      2-4)

The Big did well no doubt.

But if you think the SEC is feeling poorly about your chart, yet having the only two teams left standing, I'm sure they are happy as a lark.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But congrats to the Big on the other also-ran bowls by all means. 
Yes, the Big Whatever's success clearly proves the Committee erred in not taking tOSU into the playoffs.

I assume your being facetious. It is one of your best features and would be a shame not to take advantage of your strengths. Or at least half facetious as you may actually subconsciously believe it.  Smiley

We all know what Clemson or Bama would do to them.(Well most of us do) But there's always the other game.

Well they couldn't beat Oklahoma. Maybe they could beat Georgia.
Consider what might have been had Penn State beat Ohio State.
But why talk about what actually happened?

Are you saying PSU couldn't have beaten USC? Or couldn't have beaten Oklahoma?

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6590 on: January 02, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »

B1G         7-1
Sun Belt   4-1
Big12       5-3
AAC         4-3
MtWest    3-3
ConUSA   4-5
SEC         4-5#
ACC         4-6
MAC         1-4
PAC12      1-8
Ind           2-0
MEAC       1-0
SWAC.     0-1

#SEC will finish 5-6
(Top 2 teams 3-1
All others      2-4)

But if you think the SEC is feeling poorly about your chart, yet having the only two teams left standing, I'm sure they are happy as a lark.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yes, the Big Whatever's success clearly proves the Committee erred in not taking tOSU into the playoffs.

I assume your being facetious. It is one of your best features and would be a shame not to take advantage of your strengths. Or at least half facetious as you may actually subconsciously believe it.  Smiley

We all know what Clemson or Bama would do to them.(Well most of us do) But there's always the other game.

Good reasoning, we need to put you on the Committee. At least for the sarcasm.
I do not know what Clemson or Alabama would do to them.

While agree with the Committee based upon its.criteria, I think there is a good argument to be made that tOSU was worthy of being in the playoffs,.based upon those same criteria. Those who traditionally like to use playoff.and bowl results to argue the Committee got it right/wrong [cough]you[/cough] should find the argument for tOSU much stronger today. The Big Whatever's bowl record was one highly enjoyable gack job away from perfect,.which makes the achievement of its champion all that more impressive.

Did you express those same thoughts only directed towards PSU last year when the picks were made? If you did I don't remember them. And to date, the not comparable bullshit they espoused last year is still just that. Bullshit.

As far as after the fact with the bowls, yeah the Big did a good job this year. Kudos to them. Does it mean OSU beats Georgia, Bama or Clemson?  Maybe. it's a game, shit can happen.

Would I, or you, have picked them to beat any of those teams this year? I know I wouldn't and if you answer honestly I think there is more than 50% chance you would answer the same way as I. Not that any of this matters and is anything other than a reason for you to beat the Big 10 drum.  At least this time you actually have a reason. Cheesy

dichotomous

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6591 on: January 02, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

I may be wrong but IMO given the fall-off in NFL ratings, the college powers that be may want to adopt another model.

Especially since CFB ratings are already falling.

Oh my my, whatever will they do. The sky is falling.

dichotomous

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6592 on: January 02, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »

Bama opens as a 4 1/2 pt favorite in the SEC championship game.

SEC Championship Game II. Slight correction, Banksie.

How about the "Ultimate SEC Championship Game"?

calling it "II" indicates there could be a "III" and it gives a NFL SuperBowl tinge to the college showcase game.

Well, Banksy, the semi-pro "college" system is adopting everything the NFL does. I expect a week of mass hysteria and hype, parties and all classes cancelled on every campus on Game Day.

And, of course, "Monday Night Football"!

I'm all for mass hysteria and hype, but "SEC2-this time it counts" may not resonate as deeply as you suggest.

I may be wrong but IMO given the fall-off in NFL ratings, the college powers that be may want to adopt another model.

I might suggest a Monday Night Raw, a UFC cage match, or maybe let the video gamers take over the programming.

or as I don't have a dog in the on-going Elba my conference is better than yours, and really don't care all that much, but

8 TEAMS!

I still like the 8 teams as that would eliminate some of the Conference speculation. And it would have probably gotten Georgia in as well and maybe even UCF.

What I wouldn't like to see with 8 teams is an automatic Conference berth. This year we could have gotten Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, OSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, and USC in.

Unfortunately UCF and PSU would have still been left out in the cold. The way it was set up by the Committee this time around.

dichotomous

DeeJ

« Reply #6593 on: January 02, 2018, 12:58:34 PM »

Next year, new committee chair, new members and new reasoning that says
"The slate is clean, we start over again."  Cool
DeeJ

« Reply #6594 on: January 02, 2018, 01:01:32 PM »

I will have to check out tronanhorse's pickles but it appears I have secured the coveted title of College Football Forum Bowl Prediction God, while bosox has safely secured the somewhat less coveted title of Most Wrong. This is what happens when you foolishly pick against one league, regardless.
It appears that strategy failed more than just Bosox.

Bad form, JumboNut, criticizing a strategy without having participated with one of your own.
Bad, Bad, Bad.

Yes maybe bad form. But actually his strategy is quite sound.

Who was the MAC team that spoiled My anti-MAC strategy?
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6595 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »

Well, the estimable JBottle spent the entire year running down Ohio State for their poor performance in last year’s playoffs…..Yet here is his team in this years playoffs scoring exactly six more points than OSU scored in last year’s playoffs. So what team didn’t belong in the final four this year?
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6596 on: January 02, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »

B1G         7-1
Sun Belt   4-1
Big12       5-3
AAC         4-3
MtWest    3-3
ConUSA   4-5
SEC         4-5#
ACC         4-6
MAC         1-4
PAC12      1-8
Ind           2-0
MEAC       1-0
SWAC.     0-1

#SEC will finish 5-6
(Top 2 teams 3-1
All others      2-4)

Good reasoning, we need to put you on the Committee. At least for the sarcasm.
I do not know what Clemson or Alabama would do to them.

While agree with the Committee based upon its.criteria, I think there is a good argument to be made that tOSU was worthy of being in the playoffs,.based upon those same criteria. Those who traditionally like to use playoff.and bowl results to argue the Committee got it right/wrong [cough]you[/cough] should find the argument for tOSU much stronger today. The Big Whatever's bowl record was one highly enjoyable gack job away from perfect,.which makes the achievement of its champion all that more impressive.

Did you express those same thoughts only directed towards PSU last year when the picks were made? If you did I don't remember them. And to date, the not comparable bullshit they espoused last year is still just that. Bullshit.

As far as after the fact with the bowls, yeah the Big did a good job this year. Kudos to them. Does it mean OSU beats Georgia, Bama or Clemson?  Maybe. it's a game, shit can happen.

Would I, or you, have picked them to beat any of those teams this year? I know I wouldn't and if you answer honestly I think there is more than 50% chance you would answer the same way as I. Not that any of this matters and is anything other than a reason for you to beat the Big 10 drum.  At least this time you actually have a reason. Cheesy
I believe I am on record as saying Penn State should have gone last year, although I understand the Committee thought process that put tOSU in. But then I do not reject the validity of reasoning that comes to a.different conclusion than I reach as bull shit just because I disagree.

tOSU had a string of very impressive wins on its resume last year. It also had a narrow H2H loss and no conference championship.  The Committee adequately explained its.rationale in the context of its rules.and processes. While I recognize that H2H and Championships are only taken into account when teams are comparable under the rules, I thought they were comparable. The Committee looked.at.the resumes and disagreed. Rigid people who cannot.envision a.conrary opinion on the same facts tend to denigrate contrary opinions.as bull shit or.corrupt, even when confronted with a rule based explanation.

The same process put Alabama in over tOSU this year, even with a.weak resume. tOSU had two losses, even though they also had three wins that were better than any of Alabama's wins, by Committee ranking. That second loss made them not comparable, keeping tOSU out despite the Conference championship.

I probably would have taken tOSU over Georgia in the pool.

yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6597 on: January 02, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »

I think that Ohio State would have beaten Clemson this season because if yesterday was any kind of measuring stick, Kelly Bryant simply can't deal with the kind of QB pressure that some defenses (Ohio State is one of them) can bring.  He's not Watson.

Purely academic.  I have no issue with the Iowa loss disqualifying OSU.

The judge said "son what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't to have to die."
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6598 on: January 02, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »

calling it "II" indicates there could be a "III" and it gives a NFL SuperBowl tinge to the college showcase game.

Well, Banksy, the semi-pro "college" system is adopting everything the NFL does. I expect a week of mass hysteria and hype, parties and all classes cancelled on every campus on Game Day.

I'm all for mass hysteria and hype, but "SEC2-this time it counts" may not resonate as deeply as you suggest.

I might suggest a Monday Night Raw, a UFC cage match, or maybe let the video gamers take over the programming.

or as I don't have a dog in the on-going Elba my conference is better than yours, and really don't care all that much, but

8 TEAMS!

I still like the 8 teams as that would eliminate some of the Conference speculation. And it would have probably gotten Georgia in as well and maybe even UCF.

What I wouldn't like to see with 8 teams is an automatic Conference berth. This year we could have gotten Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, OSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, and USC in.

Unfortunately UCF and PSU would have still been left out in the cold. The way it was set up by the Committee this time around.

I doubt an 8 team playoff would go forward without well defined circumstance for the inclusion of Group of 5 teams. Which UCF should have made this year.  Five Conference Champs, GoF and two wild cards, no more than 2 teams from the same.comference. Committee.seeds.the teams, home.games one.week after the Conference Championships for the top 4. Bowl system remains intact as it is currently.

DeeJ

« Reply #6599 on: January 02, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »

8 TEAMS!

They are a long, long way to 8 teams, Banks.

First they have to create FAN-specular half-time shows like they are doing this year -although I still don't know, or care to find out, who the hell he is- and then they have to get the sponsors to crank up their ad agencies to produce more new commercials for this week.  Look for a two-week break before the title game for  your cue that a 8-team playoff is coming.

You looking to buy a Dog?
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 494
  Print  

Jump to: