Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
July 16, 2018, 04:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 494
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 53750 times)
DeeJ

« Reply #6600 on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:25 PM »

Yes, the Big Whatever's success clearly proves the Committee erred in not taking tOSU into the playoffs.
Well, the estimable JBottle spent the entire year running down Ohio State for their poor performance in last year’s playoffs…..Yet here is his team in this years playoffs scoring exactly six more points than OSU scored in last year’s playoffs. So what team didn’t belong in the final four this year?

I will field that soft ball : ZeroState
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6601 on: January 02, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »

Quote from: whiskeypriest link=topic=9.msg109625

I doubt an 8 team playoff would go forward without well defined circumstance for the inclusion of Group of 5 teams. Which UCF should have made this year.  Five Conference Champs, GoF and two wild cards, no more than 2 teams from the same.comference. Committee.seeds.the teams, home.games one.week after the Conference Championships for the top 4. Bowl system remains intact as it is currently.
Future thoughts perhaps. But only if the current model fails which shows no signs of doing.
The College Football Playoff Game is owned by the Conferences and pays expenses to all Bowl teams with plenty left over to share with those who don’t qualify. The increase in Bowl Games( now 40) is because most are owned by for-profit entities like ESPN, the Yankees, the Detroit Lions, and the 49ers. TV pays the bills of the smaller bowls eliminating the need for non profit organizations to run them hawking tickets and selling broadcast rights.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6602 on: January 02, 2018, 02:24:22 PM »

I doubt an 8 team playoff would go forward without well defined circumstance for the inclusion of Group of 5 teams. Which UCF should have made this year.  Five Conference Champs, GoF and two wild cards, no more than 2 teams from the same.comference. Committee.seeds.the teams, home.games one.week after the Conference Championships for the top 4. Bowl system remains intact as it is currently.
Future thoughts perhaps. But only if the current model fails which shows no signs of doing.
The College Football Playoff Game is owned by the Conferences and pays expenses to all Bowl teams with plenty left over to share with those who don’t qualify. The increase in Bowl Games( now 40) is because most are owned by for-profit entities like ESPN, the Yankees, the Detroit Lions, and the 49ers. TV pays the bills of the smaller bowls eliminating the need for non profit organizations to run them hawking tickets and selling broadcast rights.

I think if the final game involved.two Big 10 teams insgead.of.two SEC teams, we would be well on the way to 8.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
TrojanHorse
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6603 on: January 02, 2018, 03:03:37 PM »

No CFB on NY Eve?

Must be the declining ratings.

There have not traditionally been college games on new years' eve.  They tried scheduling the playoff games on New Year's eve a couple of years ago and learned that people are going to New Year's eve parties and not staying at home watching football games.  My guess is it will be several years before they try that again.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6604 on: January 02, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

I think if the final game involved.two Big 10 teams insgead.of.two SEC teams, we would be well on the way to 8.
I think it makes for talk on 24/7 sports tv and radio and sports boards. But not much more.
The non playoff four bowl games did record TV ratings and the playoff model is making everybody better off $.
The current system is in place for  6 more years.  O reason to change it. 
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6605 on: January 02, 2018, 03:18:04 PM »

Bama opens as a 4 1/2 pt favorite in the SEC championship game.

SEC Championship Game II. Slight correction, Banksie.

How about the "Ultimate SEC Championship Game"?

calling it "II" indicates there could be a "III" and it gives a NFL SuperBowl tinge to the college showcase game.

Well, Banksy, the semi-pro "college" system is adopting everything the NFL does. I expect a week of mass hysteria and hype, parties and all classes cancelled on every campus on Game Day.

And, of course, "Monday Night Football"!

I'm all for mass hysteria and hype, but "SEC2-this time it counts" may not resonate as deeply as you suggest.

I may be wrong but IMO given the fall-off in NFL ratings, the college powers that be may want to adopt another model.

I might suggest a Monday Night Raw, a UFC cage match, or maybe let the video gamers take over the programming.

or as I don't have a dog in the on-going Elba my conference is better than yours, and really don't care all that much, but

8 TEAMS!

I still like the 8 teams as that would eliminate some of the Conference speculation. And it would have probably gotten Georgia in as well and maybe even UCF.

What I wouldn't like to see with 8 teams is an automatic Conference berth. This year we could have gotten Bama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, OSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, and USC in.

Unfortunately UCF and PSU would have still been left out in the cold. The way it was set up by the Committee this time around.

I doubt an 8 team playoff would go forward without well defined circumstance for the inclusion of Group of 5 teams. Which UCF should have made this year.  Five Conference Champs, GoF and two wild cards, no more than 2 teams from the same.comference. Committee.seeds.the teams, home.games one.week after the Conference Championships for the top 4. Bowl system remains intact as it is currently.

All reccomendations +/- I've made in the past. 8 teams (5 conf teams, 3 wild cards, teams seeded 1-8, with 1-4 hosting first round games to guarantee a gate)

One tweak might be let the committee pick the 2 WC teams, seed 1-7, and then put a slate together of 3 teams to consider for the 8th slot.

then air a live TV discussion with advocates for the (3) teams make their case, for/against, for 10-15 mins each, then after the 3 presentations, the public votes for its team, and the commitee w/out knowlwedge of the public internet vote has a public discussion on the 8th team. Committe votes in private, and votes including the winner of the public votes are revealed, 8th team is selected live.

I'd watch.

Deej I've been a dog owner for most of the past 30 years, though currently no longer picking up dog shit.

I post in Elba instead.

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6606 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:09 PM »

Next year, new committee chair, new members and new reasoning that says
"The slate is clean, we start over again."  Cool

I think they actually did a good job this year.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6607 on: January 02, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »

Yes, the Big Whatever's success clearly proves the Committee erred in not taking tOSU into the playoffs.
Well, the estimable JBottle spent the entire year running down Ohio State for their poor performance in last year’s playoffs…..Yet here is his team in this years playoffs scoring exactly six more points than OSU scored in last year’s playoffs. So what team didn’t belong in the final four this year?

You have a point. But in all fairness the margin was 18 points as compared to 31.

dichotomous

“To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.” Roger Zelazny, Sign of the Unicorn
MrUtley3
Superhero Member

X'Cessive Mercenary

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6608 on: January 02, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »

Would that be the team that lost to Syracuse?

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6609 on: January 02, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »

They have done a good job every year.

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6610 on: January 02, 2018, 03:46:18 PM »

Final Conference Standings

B1G         7-1
Sun Belt   4-1
Big12       5-3
AAC         4-3
MtWest    3-3
ConUSA   4-5
SEC         4-5#
ACC         4-6
MAC         1-4
PAC12      1-8
Ind           2-0
MEAC       1-0
SWAC.     0-1

#SEC will finish 5-6
(Top 2 teams 3-1
All others      2-4)

The Big did well no doubt.

But if you think the SEC is feeling poorly about your chart, yet having the only two teams left standing, I'm sure they are happy as a lark.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But congrats to the Big on the other also-ran bowls by all means.  

I assume your being facetious. It is one of your best features and would be a shame not to take advantage of your strengths. Or at least half facetious as you may actually subconsciously believe it.  Smiley

We all know what Clemson or Bama would do to them.(Well most of us do) But there's always the other game.

Well they couldn't beat Oklahoma. Maybe they could beat Georgia.

Good reasoning, we need to put you on the Committee. At least for the sarcasm.
I do not know what Clemson or Alabama would do to them.

While agree with the Committee based upon its.criteria, I think there is a good argument to be made that tOSU was worthy of being in the playoffs,.based upon those same criteria. Those who traditionally like to use playoff.and bowl results to argue the Committee got it right/wrong [cough]you[/cough] should find the argument for tOSU much stronger today. The Big Whatever's bowl record was one highly enjoyable gack job away from perfect,.which makes the achievement of its champion all that more impressive.

Did you express those same thoughts only directed towards PSU last year when the picks were made? If you did I don't remember them. And to date, the not comparable bullshit they espoused last year is still just that. Bullshit.

As far as after the fact with the bowls, yeah the Big did a good job this year. Kudos to them. Does it mean OSU beats Georgia, Bama or Clemson?  Maybe. it's a game, shit can happen.

Would I, or you, have picked them to beat any of those teams this year? I know I wouldn't and if you answer honestly I think there is more than 50% chance you would answer the same way as I. Not that any of this matters and is anything other than a reason for you to beat the Big 10 drum.  At least this time you actually have a reason. Cheesy
I believe I am on record as saying Penn State should have gone last year, although I understand the Committee thought process that put tOSU in. But then I do not reject the validity of reasoning that comes to a.different conclusion than I reach as bull shit just because I disagree.

tOSU had a string of very impressive wins on its resume last year. It also had a narrow H2H loss and no conference championship.  The Committee adequately explained its.rationale in the context of its rules.and processes. While I recognize that H2H and Championships are only taken into account when teams are comparable under the rules, I thought they were comparable. The Committee looked.at.the resumes and disagreed. Rigid people who cannot.envision a.conrary opinion on the same facts tend to denigrate contrary opinions.as bull shit or.corrupt, even when confronted with a rule based explanation.

The same process put Alabama in over tOSU this year, even with a.weak resume. tOSU had two losses, even though they also had three wins that were better than any of Alabama's wins, by Committee ranking. That second loss made them not comparable, keeping tOSU out despite the Conference championship.

I probably would have taken tOSU over Georgia in the pool.

You lawyerishly say one thing, and something else out of the other side of your mouth, thinking the two thoughts should somehow peacefully coexist. Not.

So just because 'you' understand the bullshit and don't question it doesn't really mean much. Except for that making you the great reasonable guy you believe you are. Again, not. Smiley

Obviously if you had the view that PSU should have been in then you rejected their reasoning. Sugarcoating it as you being a man of reason and understanding is simply a cop out. Complaining about me calling it bullshit also changes little either, so I'm not sure why you are intent on repeatedly doing it. Possibly the repetition helps to convince you of its validity.

In the case we're talking about you should either stand by your opinions or you might as well not have them. I could have just as well used the phrase dead wrong to be polite. But in the long run both mean the same thing. Their words were a contradiction in terms based on the two team's head to head and Conference Championship their professed "guidelines" not mine.

I would have had no problem with them simply saying we still think OSU is better than PSU had their professed guidline not been in place. But coming up with the out that we can throw away our guidelines when not one but two of those guidelines directly contradicts what is about to be coming out of the other side of our mouth is once again, bullshit. Cake and eat it too, that sort of shit.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:58:00 PM by CaptainCargo » Logged

dichotomous

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6611 on: January 02, 2018, 03:51:12 PM »

I think that Ohio State would have beaten Clemson this season because if yesterday was any kind of measuring stick, Kelly Bryant simply can't deal with the kind of QB pressure that some defenses (Ohio State is one of them) can bring.  He's not Watson.

Purely academic.  I have no issue with the Iowa loss disqualifying OSU.

I don't think OSU's defense is in the same league as Bama's, at least when all of the Tide dudes are healthy. Still you're right they may have beaten Clemson, they may not have.

By the same token I don't think OSU's offense is all that good. And I think Clemson's defense is better than OSU's. Would have been a close game I think.

dichotomous

CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6612 on: January 02, 2018, 03:55:50 PM »

They have done a good job every year.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

dichotomous

whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6613 on: January 02, 2018, 03:56:50 PM »

No cap I DISAGREED with their RESULT. I did not REJECT their REASONING. That you think the concepts are the same thing states my case better than anything I wrote.

Also, you make it clear every time you talk about them that you do not understand the Committee guidelines. If the Committee just decided tOSU was better, conference championships and head to head are irrelevant to the result. Those only come into play when the two teams are substantially similar. That is why tOSU's Conference championship was irrelevant this year.

yankguy
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6614 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:10 PM »

I didn't say that Ohio State's defense was as good as Alabama's, only that the type of defense they play is the type that it looks like Kelly Bryant is not real good at handling.    

The judge said "son what is your alibi? If you were somewhere else then you won't to have to die."
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 494
  Print  

Jump to: