Escape from Elba
Exiles of the New York Times
January 21, 2018, 11:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: As you may have noticed, this is a very old backup, I'm still working through restoring the site.  Don't be surprised if you post and it all goes missing....

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: With Dixon out for the season, who will win the Heisman?
Tim Tebow
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan
Chase Daniel
Other

Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 467
  Print  
Author Topic: College Football  (Read 36789 times)
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6675 on: January 02, 2018, 11:22:55 PM »

Well the game was 10-3 at halftime. The Clem/OSU game was 17-0. But I get the point you're making as I said and am not disagreeing with it out of hand.
Yes—I’m sure that you get the basic idea. Cosmetically speaking, it is a little difficult to equate the OSU/Clemson game of last year to the Clemson/Alabama game from this year. But to my mind, both losers laid an egg. OSU’s egg was just a little larger than Clemsons. But they both laid eggs, and in the end, neither team was close to winning their games.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6676 on: January 03, 2018, 08:49:10 AM »

Well the game was 10-3 at halftime. The Clem/OSU game was 17-0. But I get the point you're making as I said and am not disagreeing with it out of hand.
Yes—I’m sure that you get the basic idea. Cosmetically speaking, it is a little difficult to equate the OSU/Clemson game of last year to the Clemson/Alabama game from this year. But to my mind, both losers laid an egg. OSU’s egg was just a little larger than Clemsons. But they both laid eggs, and in the end, neither team was close to winning their games.

Okay.

So the Tigers laid a goose egg and the Buckeyes an ostrich egg.    Smiley

But in all seriousness watching the game and it ending the half at 10-3 the Bama/Clemson game didn't have the same feel as the OSU/Clemson 17-0 game of the year before. At least to me. And if you remember Clemson scored first in the second half to make the game 10-6. Doesn't sound like an egg at that point does it? And Bama punted on their very next possession.

On the other hand OSU was never in their game. Had they made those two FGs then maybe, but they whiffed on both of them. And I don't just mean the actual missing the FGs. No after the interception to start the game they managed four plays and 3 yards. On the second one they managed 7 plays and 12 yards. Down 17-Zip at the half and their first three possessions of the second half were 2 plays and a fumble, 3 plays for a total of 4 yards and 4 plays for -4 yards.

I just don't see where you can say the difference isn't more than just a little noticeable. Certainly more than just cosmetically IMO.

Bama had about 60 yards more offense than Clemson around 260 yards to 200 yards. In the OSU/Clemson game the difference was a bit more, about 215 yards to 470 yards. Not the same two games. Bama's defense swung the game with turnovers as is one of their devastating weapons. And also a reason why I don't think the Buckeye defense(while a great defense I'm not cutting them down)but they IMO aren't on the same level as the Tide D when they are healthy. And this isn't a one year pony for the Tide. I think everyone remembers how that defense scored and scored and scored last year on opponents.

I get what you are driving at both teams got beat and had a poor showing. But I think the 'cosmetics' of the game were a bit more than just slightly different. I respect your opinion bro, but disagree a little with the inner workings of it.

Yep
DeeJ

« Reply #6677 on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »

And keep in mind that most of these supposedly educational institutions did not provide the quality of education in exchange for these young scholar-athletes services as they promised they would and certainly did not help keep them on track for a real degree.
That’s because these players did not attend Alabama or Ohio State to learn to be chemists…they went to those schools to play football. Period. All that thinking about the scholar/athlete is dead as a doornail at those schools, and the sooner people adjust to that reality the better off they will be. They go to Ohio State to play and compete with and against the best. They go there to further their future (hopeful) career in the NFL or the CFL. It’s more or less a full time job, with not a whole lot of time for books or classes on subjects that they have no interest in at all. Actually, if they could manage it, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a ‘plan B’, a backup plan centered on education, since only about 1% of them are going to make it to the professional athletic leagues, but you can’t tell that to these elite 17 year old athletes. Their thinking goes along the lines that if anyone in this damn locker room is going to make it it is going to me. And if it isn’t my sheer talent that does it I am going to work longer and harder than anyone else here to be that 1%.

Seems old JumboNut is not the only one singing a new tune.  IIRC, it was you,DriverNut,who derided the SEC for their low, non-existent academic standards and that was the reason they were so successful.  Now, you adopt their model whole-heartedly!  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. 

I am surprised from reading your comments on other threads that you are so happy to accept the lack of integrity of many of our major universities, while bemoaning the deterioration of our institutions  in general.
That JumboNut doesn't have any principles is no surprise. Your lack of them is somewhat surprising.

Once again, you are late to class. Class is dismissed.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6678 on: January 03, 2018, 12:08:26 PM »

No CFB on NY Eve?

Must be the declining ratings.

There have not traditionally been college games on new years' eve.  They tried scheduling the playoff games on New Year's eve a couple of years ago and learned that people are going to New Year's eve parties and not staying at home watching football games.  My guess is it will be several years before they try that again.
Friday December 31, 2022  to be exact.  Inescapable because of NFL conflicts.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6679 on: January 03, 2018, 02:48:47 PM »

UCF now claims a National Championship after beating Auburn.
So we are back to split Titles, again.

Monday night's two CFP semifinals averaged a 13.9 rating overnight, up 26 percent from last year and 42 percent from the 2015 season.

Individually, both games rank as the third and fourth highest-rated CFP semifinals ever, trailing only the two record-breaking CFP Semifinals from the inaugural year.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6680 on: January 03, 2018, 03:56:25 PM »

Monday night's two CFP semifinals averaged a 13.9 rating overnight, up 26 percent from last year and 42 percent from the 2015 season.

Individually, both games rank as the third and fourth highest-rated CFP semifinals ever, trailing only the two record-breaking CFP Semifinals from the inaugural year.

Anything to throw dirt on the Playoff finalists since it isn't OSU or a Big Ten team right Skip.

Yep
bankshot1
Superhero Member

A non-card carrying citizen of RSN since 1957

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6681 on: January 03, 2018, 04:05:30 PM »

Anything to throw dirt on the Playoff finalists since it isn't OSU or a Big Ten team right Skip.

Jim is just making the case for an 8-team play-off, but taking the round-about approach, insinuating nothing has been settled.

Depends on who's ox has been ignored.

heh

"Hank Steinbrenner?
What a bunch of
(expletive) that is!"

-Red Sox Nation
DeeJ

« Reply #6682 on: January 03, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »

The only split title is the one on Jim's forehead - Dumb/Ass.

Hint: follow the trophy that ESPN has been carting around the country.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6683 on: January 03, 2018, 04:33:27 PM »

That is quite an obsession that gnaws at you.
tOSU is an also ran this year.
UCF doesn’t think it deserves the same fate when it won all it could.
Reminds me of the battle Auburn(how about that for a coincidence) in 2004 when it was the odd team out in the BCS.  It was futile then as it will be now. But give the Knights a C for Chutzpah for not going  silently.
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6684 on: January 03, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »

IIRC, it was you,DriverNut,who derided the SEC for their low, non-existent academic standards
Actually, I don’t recall ever commenting on SEC educational standards (except to possibly try and get JBottles goat by possibly referring to Clemson as a Southern redneck school, or something similar). The SEC are successful because they field 3 to 5 great teams every year. I don’t believe I have ever insinuated any correlation between a supposed lack of academic standards in the SEC and excellence on the football field. That is your fabrication, o dim one, not mine.
I am surprised from reading your comments on other threads that you are so happy to accept the lack of integrity of many of our major universities
Once again, more or less your interpretation of something I said—with no relationship to what I actually meant. I merely told you about how it really is these days at football factories like Ohio State and others. It isn’t my fault that it doesn’t confirm to your fairytale fantasy of college football from the 1930’s. I’m just telling you the way it is now—today—at big money, big time football schools. It isn’t my fault that you want to live in a Ronald Reagan movie about the Gipper.
That JumboNut doesn't have any principles is no surprise. Your lack of them is somewhat surprising.
So decrees the delusional forum moron, somehow believing he has anything to teach to anyone.
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6685 on: January 03, 2018, 05:19:01 PM »

Jim is just making the case for an 8-team play-off, but taking the round-about approach, insinuating nothing has been settled.

Depends on who's ox has been ignored.

heh

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Yep
CaptainCargo
Superhero Member

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6686 on: January 03, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »

Reminds me of the battle Auburn(how about that for a coincidence) in 2004 when it was the odd team out in the BCS.  It was futile then as it will be now. But give the Knights a C for Chutzpah for not going  silently.

The only obsession is that you were the one to throw it up on the screen.

Gnaw on that.  Cheesy

Yep
Driver125
Superhero Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6687 on: January 03, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »

Clemson scored first in the second half to make the game 10-6. Doesn't sound like an egg at that point does it?
As someone rightly pointed out, a football game has two haves. The Bama D was like a boa constrictor, slowly squeezing the life out of Clemson. They could still be playing to this day and I don't think it was going to get any better for Clemson.
I just don't see where you can say the difference isn't more than just a little noticeable. Certainly more than just cosmetically IMO.
I say it in the sense that neither Clemson nor OSU were going to win those games—either of them. And winning, of course, is what it is all about, not moral victories. I should imagine the players on Clemson felt almost as bad as the players on OSU did after their loss. They might say well, we could have—should have—if only, etc. but in the end they didn’t and they ended up being road kill for Bama.
And also a reason why I don't think the Buckeye defense(while a great defense I'm not cutting them down)but they IMO aren't on the same level as the Tide D when they are healthy.
I believe Southern Cal might beg to differ. Do you think the Clemson QB is better than the SC quarterback—that he would have moved Clemson better against OSU than Darnold did? I suggest a review of last year's Rose Bowl.
But really—enough words expended on losing efforts by two old Elba hard-heads.
whiskeypriest
Superhero Member

Life is skittles and life is beer.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6688 on: January 03, 2018, 05:31:51 PM »

IIRC, it was you,DriverNut,who derided the SEC for their low, non-existent academic standards
Actually, I don’t recall ever commenting on SEC educational standards (except to possibly try and get JBottles goat by possibly referring to Clemson as a Southern redneck school, or something similar).
Actually that was probably me. Though as a bit of regi9nal jesting, not as a.reason for God's Conference winning Championships. That has more.to do with a certain contract Saban signed at the bottom, in blood.

What does it matter?  All is grace.
Espnthree

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6689 on: January 03, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »

Reminds me of the battle Auburn(how about that for a coincidence) in 2004 when it was the odd team out in the BCS.  It was futile then as it will be now. But give the Knights a C for Chutzpah for not going  silently.

The only obsession is that you were the one to throw it up on the screen.
You mean you think I was serious ?
I did a Google search after your hissy fit and found about a hundred hits on UCF and its claim to number one
The most amusing one is

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2018/1/3/16842584/ucf-national-championship-claim

The best part is the number of times Alabama has done the same thing even if years went bye before it did.
Too funny.  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 467
  Print  

Jump to: