Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1620018 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1185 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:14 AM »

Awfully quiet in the Trump Administration forum considering that we just found out that Trump is a likely felon.

I know kiidcarter8 and REDSTATEWARD are hiding in a corner somewhere, but do we really need their blind adoration of Trump to drive conversation?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »

Awfully quiet in the Trump Administration forum considering that we just found out that Trump is a likely felon.

I know kiidcarter8 and REDSTATEWARD are hiding in a corner somewhere, but do we really need their blind adoration of Trump to drive conversation?

People likely recovering from hangovers, either from celebrating or from trying to cope with Donny's very, very, bad day.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 22, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »

I think it’s more akin to afterglow than a hangover.

Just reveling in all the justice and contributing to Democrats up and down the ballot.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

I'm a natural pessimist so put me down in the don't count your chickens group.  I'd like a little bit more than words from a convicted felon to prove that the President is a likely felon.   
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 22, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »

I'm a natural pessimist so put me down in the don't count your chickens group.  I'd like a little bit more than words from a convicted felon to prove that the President is a likely felon.   

His former lawyer implicated him in a crime under oath.  "Likely" is conservative.  I'd actually go with "Obvious."

Unless you really think that Cohen would have plead guilty to crimes investigators didn't have proof of?  Or you really do think it possible that Cohen would have taken it upon himself to execute the payoffs without direction from Trump?

BTW, the Trump Organization also directly implicated in fraud related to those payments:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-company-approved-420000-in-payments-to-cohen-relying-on-sham-invoices-prosecutors-say/2018/08/21/b6b327fc-a596-11e8-97ce-cc9042272f07_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.778f2f2f0de7

But Yankguy1 wouldn't say "likely."  LOL. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 22, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »

As an ex-prosecutor friend of mine used to tell juries, "Priests and nuns do not enter into criminal conspiracies. Criminals.conspire with other Criminals." First, those were the days. God knows what.example.he would use now. Second, those documents and tapes seized from Cohen are going to play a role in all this.

I do not doubt a sitting president can be indicted for crimes. I doubt as a practical matter they would indict, or if indicted prosecute, a sitt9ng president for the offense Cohen accused him of.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 22, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »

As an ex-prosecutor friend of mine used to tell juries, "Priests and nuns do not enter into criminal conspiracies. Criminals.conspire with other Criminals." First, those were the days. God knows what.example.he would use now. Second, those documents and tapes seized from Cohen are going to play a role in all this.

I do not doubt a sitting president can be indicted for crimes. I doubt as a practical matter they would indict, or if indicted prosecute, a sitt9ng president for the offense Cohen accused him of.

I’m not going to analyze what might happen with Trump based on Cohen’s implicating him in criminal conspiracy because I don’t think there is any way that this is the last of it. We will have more criminal activity to consider  (possibly shortly) and in Nov “likely” a Democratic House ready to investigate and act on it.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 22, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »

I wonder if this doesn't play out like Nixon and Watergate.

after getting swamped by the blue tsunami in the '18 elections Republicans assume further party destruction in '20 if Trump is anywhere near the ticket, and pressure him to either resign  or face an impeachment in the House, and likely conviction in the Senate.

And  criminal charges as a private citizen.

and maybe Jr and Jared.

and they might lose their fortune.

So he thinks golfing at Trump National or folding shirts at the prison laundry?

Mar-a-lago or Federal Prison?

Trump resigns, Pence pardons him, America is outraged...

the '20 Repub primary is a clown-show of former Trump quislings and cowards

outraged decent Americans pissed off they can't hang Trump, take it out on the party of deplorables, put a D in the WH, Senate and House.

We as a country get more divided

I don't see a happy ending, unless we get to hang the treasonous son of a bitch
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:38:19 PM by bankshot1 »

barton

« Reply #1193 on: August 22, 2018, 12:38:24 PM »

My doubt is driven by what seems to me the obvious weasel ways for Trump to deny that his hush money was really a campaign contribution.  My guess is that, if he is ever answerable for this stuff, he will say that he was simply paying off dalliances to protect his marriage and his (snicker) reputation from lying schemers.  That the hush money was paid during a campaign was just a coincidence.  To me, Cohen's allegation is only of value when it would comprise part of a much longer list of malfeasance, when it can add a little more heft to multiple indictments.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: August 22, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »

My only words of advice are to follow the money.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

oilcan

« Reply #1195 on: August 22, 2018, 01:02:53 PM »

Oh to be a fly on Robert Mueller's wall!

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: August 22, 2018, 01:18:57 PM »

My doubt is driven by what seems to me the obvious weasel ways for Trump to deny that his hush money was really a campaign contribution.  My guess is that, if he is ever answerable for this stuff, he will say that he was simply paying off dalliances to protect his marriage and his (snicker) reputation from lying schemers.  That the hush money was paid during a campaign was just a coincidence.  To me, Cohen's allegation is only of value when it would comprise part of a much longer list of malfeasance, when it can add a little more heft to multiple indictments.

I’m no legal expert of course but I’m not sure that it matters if Trump can come up with other reasons for the payoff. Of course there were other personal/business reasons for the affairs to remain unknown. But even timing aside, he can’t reasonably argue they were not a benefit to the campaign and in service of suppressing info that is of interest to voters.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: August 22, 2018, 02:14:20 PM »

And no, this doesn't mean candidates running against Trump need to talk about impeachment, although now that Trump is implicated in a felony, I don't see why that should be off-limits.  What is talked about here is the bare minimum of congressional responsibility to oversee the Executive. 

One could make the argument that Republicans in Congress are complicit in crimes, but at the very least, they aren't doing their jobs.

Going back to this...

The shocking thing about the Cohen crimes and the implication of Trump in those crimes is that none of it is shocking.  We have a President who, if he behaves in an outright criminal manner, would surprise no one. 

And that brings Congressional Republican inaction into focus.  They know who this guy is, what he is capable of.  We all do.  So when they block action (even the simplest of action like forcing the release of his tax returns) they are not doing so because they think it isn't necessary, they are doing so to prevent the public from seeing exactly how much of a criminal Trump is.

And I don't think this is said enough, or that people appreciate how extraordinary this is.  We shouldn't assume that if a President breaks the law, you need a congress of the opposite party to hold him accountable.  That is a very, very dangerous path for this country to go down.  And Republicans, with eyes wide open, are putting us there.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: August 22, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »

On Wednesday morning, the lead story on FoxNews.com was not Michael Cohen’s admission that Donald Trump had instructed him to violate campaign-finance laws by paying hush money to two of Trump’s mistresses. It was the alleged murder of a white Iowa woman, Mollie Tibbetts, by an undocumented Latino immigrant, Cristhian Rivera.

On their face, the two stories have little in common. Fox is simply covering the Iowa murder because it distracts attention from a revelation that makes Trump look bad. But dig deeper and the two stories are connected: They represent competing notions of what corruption is.

Cohen’s admission highlights one of the enduring riddles of the Trump era. Trump’s supporters say they care about corruption. During the campaign, they cheered his vow to “drain the swamp” in Washington, D.C. When Morning Consult asked Americans in May 2016 to explain why they disliked Hillary Clinton, the second-most-common answer was that she was “corrupt.” And yet, Trump supporters appear largely unfazed by the mounting evidence that Trump is the least ethical president in modern American history. When asked last month whether they considered Trump corrupt, only 14 percent of Republicans said yes. Even Cohen’s allegation is unlikely to change that.

The swamp isn’t easy to drain.

The answer may lie in how Trump and his supporters define corruption. In a forthcoming book titled How Fascism Works, the Yale philosophy professor Jason Stanley makes an intriguing claim. “Corruption, to the fascist politician,” he suggests, “is really about the corruption of purity rather than of the law. Officially, the fascist politician’s denunciations of corruption sound like a denunciation of political corruption. But such talk is intended to evoke corruption in the sense of the usurpation of the traditional order.”

Fox’s decision to focus on the Iowa murder rather than Cohen’s guilty plea illustrates Stanley’s point. In the eyes of many Fox viewers, I suspect, the network isn’t ignoring corruption so much as highlighting the kind that really matters. When Trump instructed Cohen to pay off women with whom he’d had affairs, he may have been violating the law. But he was upholding traditional gender and class hierarchies. Since time immemorial, powerful men have been cheating on their wives and using their power to evade the consequences.

The Iowa murder, by contrast, signifies the inversion—the corruption—of that “traditional order.” Throughout American history, few notions have been as sacrosanct as the belief that white women must be protected from nonwhite men. By allegedly murdering Tibbetts, Rivera did not merely violate the law. He did something more subversive: He violated America’s traditional racial and sexual norms.

Trump’s supporters honor the American tradition of discrimination.

Once you grasp that for Trump and many of his supporters, corruption means less the violation of law than the violation of established hierarchies, their behavior makes more sense. Since 2014, Trump has employed the phrase rule of law nine times in tweets. Seven of them refer to illegal immigration.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/568147/

To defeat your enemy, you must first understand him it her.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: August 22, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »

Donald Trump's mother gestates turkeys.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 4288