Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 571

Author Topic: News in General  (Read 120870 times)

jmmengel

• View Profile
Re: News in General
« Reply #8415 on: May 01, 2024, 06:12:12 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/05/01/antisemitism-awarness-act-campus-protests/

No matter how bad a situation is, we can rest assured that Congress, in all its glory, will make it worse.
320-91 eh?
Wow a real cliffhanger.

The bill outlines its targets.
Those who claim the existence of a State of Israel is a racist endeavor,
applying double standards,to Israel that are not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation, and drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

And you cannot support it? Why?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 06:17:23 PM by jmmengel »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: May 01, 2024, 06:29:10 PM »

Scoreboard!!!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: May 01, 2024, 06:36:33 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2024/05/01/antisemitism-awarness-act-campus-protests/

No matter how bad a situation is, we can rest assured that Congress, in all its glory, will make it worse.
Scoreboard!!!
Oh.  Afraid to stand up for your principles.?
Actually you do not have any so you are speechless.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: May 01, 2024, 06:42:01 PM »

Actually I stood up for my principles. The law is bullshit, punishes a ton of protected speech and is likely unconstitutional. You rely on the vote of demagogues and panderers as support for the wisdom of the law. Who has no principles?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: May 01, 2024, 06:58:36 PM »

Actually I stood up for my principles. The law is bullshit, punishes a ton of protected speech and is likely unconstitutional. You rely on the vote of demagogues and panderers as support for the wisdom of the law. Who has no principles?
You may want to reread the Constitution, especially the part that deals with what body of government deals with making laws.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: May 01, 2024, 08:11:07 PM »

5. What was the New York City called before?

Which New York city? There are hundreds. Buffalo, Albany, Synechdoche, Rochester, Radio City...

In 1664, the English took over New Amsterdam and renamed it New York after the Duke of York (later James II & VII).
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: May 01, 2024, 08:35:37 PM »

Long Island looks nice.
Yesterday I walked thru the village of Babylon...courtesy of Youtube.
A lovely place, very well maintained homes and buildings, lovely lush green lawns, nice gardens and trees, the autumn leaves starting to fall.
I sat on a 'park bench' at the end of a street, facing out into the ocean, grey sky, grey mist...very interesting excursion.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: May 01, 2024, 08:58:25 PM »

Long Island looks nice.
Yesterday I walked thru the village of Babylon...courtesy of Youtube.
A lovely place, very well maintained homes and buildings, lovely lush green lawns, nice gardens and trees, the autumn leaves starting to fall.
I sat on a 'park bench' at the end of a street, facing out into the ocean, grey sky, grey mist...very interesting excursion.

You walked through my home area. I am from Amityville which is a hamlet and village within the Town of Babylon as is the village of Babylon.

I was a political appointee in the Town of Babylon government from 1988 to 1992 before I moved to the District of Columbia.

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: May 01, 2024, 09:02:51 PM »

This is the kind of personal story that used to drive Hammy and bankshot1 nuts. I told them Imhad done a lot of stuff and met a lot of people, kind of like a Zelig!

Almost Thirt years ago before I was hired at Sojourners Magazine I was a DC Public School Teacher. Needing a summer gig I became a tour guide with the Old Town Trolley company. One of the guys in my training class who also spent the summer as a conductor was Steve Tamari a Palestinian graduate student at Georgetown. I attended his wedding with my wife and kids. He is now a professor at SIU and this week at a protests cops beat the shit out of him. You never met a nicer gentlemen. I tell you DC is a small town in a big city.

https://www.newsweek.com/65-year-old-man-lucky-alive-after-arrest-campus-protest-1895846

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: May 01, 2024, 09:25:20 PM »

You walked through my home area. I am from Amityville which is a hamlet and village within the Town of Babylon as is the village of Babylon.

My knowledge of the town was from a frightening documentary concerning suspiciously good real estate bargains.  And the anxieties of home ownership.  Margot Kidder seemed concerned about lack of disclosure re prior residents. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: May 01, 2024, 09:34:28 PM »

...Needing a summer gig I became a tour guide with the Old Town Trolley company. One of the guys in my training class who also spent the summer as a conductor was Steve Tamari a Palestinian graduate student at Georgetown. I attended his wedding with my wife and kids. He is now a professor at SIU and this week at a protests cops beat the shit out of him. You never met a nicer gentlemen. I tell you DC is a small town in a big city.

Wish Congress was as enthused about protecting pro Palestinian free speech as it is about protecting pro Israel free speech.

Whenever I visit the city I grew up in, it is weird how that small town in a bigger town thing works.  300,000 people and I keep running into the same couple hundred perennials, no matter where I go. 
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: May 01, 2024, 09:46:27 PM »

Wish Congress was as enthused about protecting pro Palestinian free speech as it is about protecting pro Israel free speech.

Free speech means a right to criticize the government without penalty by the Government.
It does not protect speech threatening harm against others.  Until you understand that you do not deserve any respect.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 09:48:41 PM by jmmengel »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: May 01, 2024, 10:01:22 PM »

Free speech means a right to criticize the government without penalty by the Government.
It does not protect speech threatening harm against others.  Until you understand that you do not deserve any respect.
Supporting Palestinians is no more threatening harm to Israel than supporting Israel is to Palestinians. Or less. Until you grasp that, well you are an intellectually dishonest PROVEN LIAR so you still will not be deserving of respect.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

jmmengel

• View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: May 01, 2024, 10:21:51 PM »

Supporting Palestinians is no more threatening harm to Israel than supporting Israel is to Palestinians.
[
The words of the protesters prove you wrong.

Zionists don

jmmengel

• View Profile
Re: News in Generalmente
« Reply #8429 on: May 01, 2024, 10:25:09 PM »

It does not protect speech threatening harm against others. 
Supporting Palestinians is no more threatening harm to Israel than supporting Israel is to Palestinians. Or less. Until you grasp that, well you are an intellectually dishonest PROVEN LIAR so you still will not be deserving of respect, according to Harry Lime

But  The words of the protesters prove him wrong.

Zionists do not deserve to live.
Thank you Yemen under a Houthi sign that reads Death to America, Death to Israel, Cursed be the Jews, Victory to Islam,

And those were just from Columbia. I am surprised the House only got 392 votes to condemn such harmfully intended hatred.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 10:36:28 PM by jmmengel »
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 571