International > Western Europe

Western Europe

<< < (3/4) > >>

FlyingVProd:
When the economy gets better, I have some "Green Hornet" collector's cards that I want to sell, the show featured Bruce Lee, so the cards are worth a lot. The television show aired in 1966-1967.

If I get enough money for the cards, then I want to take a vacation to Europe.

Or, I might buy a video camera. I would love to buy a used Red.

We will see what happens.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd:
People say "Drain the swamp" pertaining to cleaning up corruption, but when they built Rome they literally had to drain a swamp, they had to build a sewer system to drain the swamp. So, in Rome they really did drain a swamp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation_in_ancient_Rome

Salute,

Tony V.

barton:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/15/irish-border-checks-risk-creating-depressing-jobless-region

A hard border in Ireland is what they are trying to avoid.  But confidence in a deal to keep it open seems not high on the emerald isle.

FlyingVProd:
FRANCE 24 English

43 mins · 

Mathematician-turned-politician Cédric Villani wears his eccentricity on his sleeve – or, at least, on the lapel of his three-piece suit. There lurk his signature spider brooches. They stalk alongside his silken Ascot neckties and above his pocket watch, even on the campaign trail, where Emmanuel Macron's now ex-protégé is stumping for one of French politics’ most coveted prizes: The Paris mayor’s office.

--------------------------

In the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov the Mathematicians could predict the future events by calculating the odds, etc. A great line from the Foundation Trilogy is "Violence is the last refuge for the incompetent," and it really is true. Someday someone needs to make the Foundation Trilogy into a series of films.  

I had a professor in College who was a Mathematician, I took his class on Euclidean Geometry, and on the first day of class he taught us that 2 + 2 does not necessarily equal 4, and 0 only exists because we say it does. It was a great class. The professor was also a magician and he was a member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood. Mathematicians can be fun people. 

Salute,

Tony V.

barton:
Swedes have been trying the "herd immunity" approach, but new figures are causing some debate in the Rijksdag over the "soft" strategy....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/sweden-prepares-to-tighten-coronavirus-measures-as-death-toll-climbs

--- Quote ---Sten Linnarsson, a professor at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute, said the concern was that “there is really a lack of scientific evidence being put forward for these policies”. He compared the approach to letting a kitchen fire burn but intending to put it out later: “The danger, of course, is that it burns the whole house down.”

A letter to the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter from 14 scientists last week asked why Sweden had stuck with its policy when others, such as the UK, had followed the rest of Europe with tough measures. “Different countries have different conditions but we struggle to see why the Swedish context is so different from the British,” they wrote.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version