Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 4194 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Olympics
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2021, 11:21:29 PM »

Katie Ledecky: remarkable.

Amazing athlete.

Yep

But not nearly the story for US womens swim team
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2021, 11:37:14 PM »

I don't think any sport burns out its athletes more than swimming does. Given that, winning gold in three different Olympics like Ledecky is incredible. Phelps winning golds in 4 (and participating in 5) is incomprehensible.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2021, 02:09:44 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 09:51:15 AM »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 02:09:51 PM »

Simone Biles likely quit because she saw she was going to lose to her teammate.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2021, 03:26:05 PM »

Simone Biles likely quit because she saw she was going to lose to her teammate.
Does your head ever interfere with your colonoscopies, or can you remove it when necessary?

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »

Biles to compete in the beam finals, 430 am tomorrow

I am sure Ham will be up for it.  Yes, Lee is competing.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 05:14:29 PM by kidcarter8 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »

Biles to compete in the beam finals, 430 am tomorrow

I am sure Ham will be up for it.  Yes, Lee is competing.

Got the Bronze. Lee finished 5th.

Well done, Simone Biles.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »

One advantage of being three hours behind EDT is that the late night olympic events you sleep through are on prime time here. Sprint canoe is excellent stuff. And dangerous. The women pairs (unlike the men, who kneel) are pretty much strapped in. One boat capsized right at the finish line and it took so long for them to surface I started to worry.

Also that 400 hurdles was an amazing race.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 01:24:26 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 01:22:10 PM »

Also, who was it that decided the steeplechase should be raced on a track? "I know! Let's have people run 8 laps with random jumps and a pond!"

I have roughly the same question about the butterfly. Seems a pretty inefficient way of swimming to have arise  organically.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2021, 01:59:50 PM »

Now THIS was absolutely insane

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/karsten-warholm-400m-hurdles-tokyo-olumpics_n_6108fdc4e4b038cedb3761d0

American shatters world record, settles for silver

Nice job by NBC building up the prerace story line.  That is one flying Norwegian.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »

Now THIS was absolutely insane

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/karsten-warholm-400m-hurdles-tokyo-olumpics_n_6108fdc4e4b038cedb3761d0

American shatters world record, settles for silver

Nice job by NBC building up the prerace story line.  That is one flying Norwegian.
It is what can happen when two elite greats push each other.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7