Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1850

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 935814 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #6810 on: July 02, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »

Looney 3/$15M to stay in GS.
Seems like a big discount.
I thought he could get up to $10M per.

For what?

Average salary is over $9M now.

Looney runs the floor, can set screens and roll, pretty solid boarder, has vet experience at 23, mobile defender.
And you hope he can expand his game when not limited by his role around 4 all-stars.

I thought he'd be in the $8M - $10M range.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Knicks off-season
« Reply #6811 on: July 02, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

Grade the moves of the FO

A   

RJ Barrett   -  Knicks made the obvious move.  And they didn't mess it up.   That gets them an A.

B+   

Julius Randle -  You can like the player and the contract, but it's hard to give them an A when Randle was Plan B or C

B

Ignas Bradzeikis - Looks like the Knicks invested to move up in the 2nd round on a guy who can stick in the league.  That's great for picking that late.

C+

Bobby Portis  - Earned his deal on the strength of inflated numbers playing on bad teams.  He can only play Center.  No twin towers lineups with Mitch.  Obviously Knicks gonna fuck up Mitch's development.   Why did we need another young C?  Offense/defense platoon the plan for Mitch and Bobby?  How long before Bobby punches Mitch in de face?  Only reason I give it a C+ and not a worse grade is on the murky "potential" of Portis as a player and trade chit.

C

Kris Wilkes and the rest of their summer league signings.  Only because i'm being generous.

F

Everyone else was a waste,  rather have Patrick Beverly than Elfrid Payton, and prefer Robin Lopez to Taj Gibson, and i don't know wtf we were doing announcing signing NBA journeymen like Wayne Ellington, and Reggie Bullock to easy money deals.  There were so many shitty deals to one dimensional players did i miss anybody?

And because the KP trade made this spending $pree possible, and since a lack of talent scared off Kyrie (who has KD on a leash) the overall grade for the Knicks Front Office is:  Z-

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 04:50:33 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: July 02, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »

For what?

Looney runs the floor, can set screens and roll, pretty solid boarder, has vet experience at 23, mobile defender.
And you hope he can expand his game when not limited by his role around 4 all-stars.

Feels like the best value deal of free agency, at least until Kawhi signs. Looney can ball.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: July 02, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »

For what?

Feels like the best value deal of free agency, at least until Kawhi signs. Looney can ball.

But he has a broken collarbone so....

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
M. Brogdon
« Reply #6814 on: July 02, 2019, 05:08:58 PM »

Indiana sent Milwaukee a first round pick in the deal.

Lottery protected through 2025 then unprotected.

Maybe we can get that pick by sending Milwaukee one or two of our surplus backcourt.

elephant

• View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: July 02, 2019, 05:30:21 PM »

Maybe the Knicks FO will take note of the way Brooklyn set up their team.  But that is doubtful.  $15mil for Bobby Portis is just dumb.  For a starter that's plenty but as a backup C it is just awful.  Who were we bidding against?  And  $10mil for backup PF Taj Gibson also??  Declining Taj.  Can't hit a three.   

Who was gonna pay Ellington and Bullock that much?

What a criminal use of cap space.

This analysis seems as apt as it is brutal.

Knicks like the drunk with cash burning a hole in his pocket.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Warriors get
« Reply #6816 on: July 02, 2019, 06:03:45 PM »

Willie Cauley-Stein and Glen Robinson III

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Adam Silver is onto something
« Reply #6817 on: July 02, 2019, 06:13:29 PM »

For sorry franchises like ours, we need something to play for other than the NBA Finals champion.  For us it starts with Summer League.  Let's win Summer League!  Woo hoo!   Summer league.  Summer....   league.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Silver is onto something
« Reply #6818 on: July 02, 2019, 06:17:07 PM »

For sorry franchises like ours, we need something to play for other than the NBA Finals champion.  For us it starts with Summer League.  Let's win Summer League!  Woo hoo!   Summer league.  Summer....   league.

I’m heading out in about a week to catch some of it. Missing the opening night and the first couple of days. It’s always a good time in Vegas
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Noah Vonleh signs with TWolves
« Reply #6819 on: July 02, 2019, 07:18:46 PM »

For 1.6mil   

One Taj Gibson = 6 Noah Vonlehs

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Re: Noah Vonleh signs with TWolves
« Reply #6820 on: July 02, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »

For 1.6mil   

One Taj Gibson = 6 Noah Vonlehs

WTF are they doing? 

Knicks like the drunk with cash burning a hole in his pocket.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: July 02, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »

Jimmer's on.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: July 02, 2019, 09:37:45 PM »

Mudiay to the Jazz, Kornet to the Bulls.

WCS & GR3 are good pickups by GS.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: July 02, 2019, 09:45:05 PM »

Everyone but Randle is a potentially ending contract tradeabe in January.

Those trades, which will happen, may bring back multiple second rounders.

But Clippers used cap space the Knicks easily could have had to obtain Moe Harkless and a first rounder. I'd take that over Payton + Ellington.

Grizzlies used a trade exemption to obtain Iguodala plus a very intriguing Golden State first rounder. I'd definitely take that over Bobby Portis.

Suns had used their cap space to acquire Aron Baynes and a first rounder. Can't blame the Knicks on this one, they were for holding out for two max free agents at the time this deal was consummated, but it's another "coulda been". Similarly, taking TJ Warren would have come with the 32nd pick overall (which itself was flipped for three second rounders, but could have been, say, Bol Bol).

So the Knicks, effectively, could have signed Randle and Bullock and done the above and still saved their room exception:

DSJ/Ntilikina/Kadeem
RJ/Bullock/Trier
Iguodala/Harkless/TJ Warren/Brazdeikas
Randle/Knox
Mitch/Baynes/Bol

Plus extra 1sts from Golden State, Philadelphia, Miami. And you tell Iguodala "Play hard for us, give us a list of five teams and we'll trade you there in January", meaning you might extract value for Iguodala. Or, worst case, you waive him in February. You try to move TJ Warren as well throughout the season for nothing but an expiring.

That team is better on the court than what the Knicks will have if the shooting can be sorted out, plus better positioned in the long term.

Even hitting on one of the above trades would have been nice. Instead we signed a lot of kinda valuable 8th men. Unimaginative way to build a team.

Underrating Portis

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: July 02, 2019, 09:46:45 PM »

More troubling, had we not signed Ellington, Portis and Payton, not only would we have had more or less the same playoff seeding (maybe we'd be 13th instead of 11th) with more minutes for the yutes, but that empty cap space would have yielded a first rounder from OKC, or possibly assets from Charlotte.

Since everybody is on their "I told you so" game today.  I'll tell you that: I told you that the Knicks don't operate that way.

Shame. Because the Nets operated that way and acquired Deangelo, Kurucs, and Maza for their efforts. Had they been as myopic as the Knicks, Kyrie and KD would be playing in MSG.

Maybe the Knicks FO will take note of the way Brooklyn set up their team.  But that is doubtful.  $15mil for Bobby Portis is just dumb.  For a starter that's plenty but as a backup C it is just awful.  Who were we bidding against?  And  $10mil for backup PF Taj Gibson also??  Declining Taj.  Can't hit a three.   

Who was gonna pay Ellington and Bullock that much?

What a criminal use of cap space.

Nobody is a backup yet, Kamster
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1850