Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 52

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 44929 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Movies
« Reply #390 on: March 31, 2022, 09:32:34 AM »

Thanks, Josh

Barton of course had to joke about it.

"This (Cjris Rock\Will Smith) is the first time I have seen the media cover black on black crime"

Holly Martins

« Reply #391 on: March 31, 2022, 09:37:00 AM »

Am familiar with aphasia - family member was temporarily aphasic after a stroke, but fully recovered.  Am aware that Bruce recovery depends on the type of neurological condition he has.  The Die Hard joke was an old one and not in any way making fun of his current problems.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2022, 06:23:23 PM »

With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community.

Will Smith gets...
Kareemed.

https://kareem.substack.com/p/will-smith-did-a-bad-bad-thing?s=r

As he should.

And apologize to Questlove, too.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2022, 10:12:20 PM »

After much thought and consideration, the Razzies have made the decision to rescind the Razzie Award given to Bruce Willis, due to his recently disclosed diagnosis, Razzies co-founders John Wilson and Maureen Murphy said in a statement provided to news outlets. If someones medical condition is a factor in their decision making and/or their performance, we acknowledge that it is not appropriate to give them a Razzie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/04/01/bruce-willis-razzies-rescind-aphasia/

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2022, 11:07:08 PM »

Cruelest April 1st post of the year:
https://www.facebook.com/lastunicornmovie/posts/10159194431277144

Or this if you don't FB, to copy and past:
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Flastunicornmovie%2Fposts%2F10159194431277144&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="660" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2022, 11:03:08 AM »

After much thought and consideration, the Razzies have made the decision to rescind the Razzie Award given to Bruce Willis, due to his recently disclosed diagnosis, Razzies co-founders John Wilson and Maureen Murphy said in a statement provided to news outlets. If someones medical condition is a factor in their decision making and/or their performance, we acknowledge that it is not appropriate to give them a Razzie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/04/01/bruce-willis-razzies-rescind-aphasia/

Bruce Willis couldn't act BEFORE his alleged condition.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 07, 2022, 12:16:32 PM »

Bruce Willis couldn't act BEFORE his alleged condition.

Which was why the Razzie award was initially named for him to begin with.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 09, 2022, 03:45:57 PM »

"Movies should be a positive expression that there is hope, love, mercy, justice, and charity. It is the filmmaker's responsibility to emphasize the positive qualities of humanity by showing the triumph of the individual over adversities."

- Frank Capra 1960

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 10, 2022, 01:48:00 AM »

"Movies should be a positive expression that there is hope, love, mercy, justice, and charity. It is the filmmaker's responsibility to emphasize the positive qualities of humanity by showing the triumph of the individual over adversities."

- Frank Capra 1960

And it is that attitude that led to the bastardization of The Natural, ruining the story by Bernard Malamud.

It's that attitude that leads them to put elves at Helm's Deep.

I like positive expressions, but I like more than just that. Sometimes the hero strikes out in the end, no less heroic, but less successful. And that is as it should be.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 10, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »

Tony is a much bigger fan of Capra Corn than I am. Give me Chuck Tatum over George Bailey, any day.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #400 on: May 10, 2022, 10:35:52 AM »

I'm a thousand dollar a day newsman.  You can have me for nothin!

Great film.

I'd rewatch A in the Hole, or Seventh Seal, before I'd sit through a Capra film again.
Except maybe Mr Smith, for Claude Rains fantastical transformation at the end, after he tries to shoot himself. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #401 on: May 10, 2022, 10:49:56 AM »

- Frank Capra 1960

And it is that attitude that led to the bastardization of The Natural, ruining the story by Bernard Malamud.

The adaptation of Malamud's The Tenants also kind of dropped the ball. Snoop Dogg and Dylan McDermott in the moribund apartment building.  The adaptation of The Fixer, with Alan Bates as the Russian Jewish prisoner was better.  As Carol over at Third Eye would say, anything with Alan Bates is better. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 11, 2022, 03:05:17 PM »

"Ace in the Hole" is a great film, and Kirk Douglas was great, he attended the AADA and got his break thanks to Lauren Bacall who also attended the Academy.

And Capra was fantastic, "It's A Wonderful Life" still stands up as a must watch film at Christmas time, and "Meet John Doe" is a great film, as is "A Hole in the Head." Capra came over to America poor on a ship from Italy and he rose to the top of Hollywood, Capra was a true American success story, someday someone should make a film about Frank Capra.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 12, 2022, 03:09:36 PM »

Frank Capra came from a poor family who thought that an education was a waste, and Capra's family wanted Capra to work instead of going to school. But, Capra studied anyway, and Capra went on to be one of the best directors of all time.

A film about Capra would be inspirational for people.

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #404 on: May 12, 2022, 06:36:39 PM »

I think Ron Howard did a documentary on Capra, back in the 90s.  Maybe on PBS.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 52