Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 44925 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #435 on: June 15, 2022, 03:58:49 PM »

From FB four days ago

Cinema Shorthand Society

Gene Wilder would only make "Young Frankenstein" (1974) if Mel Brooks promised not to appear in it. Brooks usually appeared in his own films, but Wilder felt that Brooks' appearance would ruin the illusion. Brooks made off-camera appearances as the howling wolf, Frederick's grandfather, and the shrieking cat.

Wilder and  Brooks got into only one fight during the movie's production, but it was a big one with Mel throwing a huge temper tantrum, yelling and raging and eventually storming out of Gene's apartment (where the men had been working on the script). Roughly ten minutes later, Gene's phone rang. The caller was Mel, who had this to say: "WHO WAS THAT MADMAN YOU HAD IN YOUR HOUSE? I COULD HEAR THE YELLING ALL THE WAY OVER HERE. YOU SHOULD NEVER LET CRAZY PEOPLE INTO YOUR HOUSE, DON'T YOU KNOW THAT? THEY COULD BE DANGEROUS." That, as Gene later put it, was "Mel's way of apologizing."
Maybe two fights? Maybe a fight and a half?
Wilder conceived the "Puttin' on the Ritz" scene, while Mel Brooks was resistant to it as a mere "conceit," and felt it would detract from the fidelity to Universal horror films in the rest of the film. Wilder recalls being "close to rage and tears" and argued for the scene before Brooks stopped him and said, "It's in!" When Wilder asked why he had changed his mind, Brooks said that since Wilder had fought for it, then it would be the right thing to do. But it was only when he soon saw the musical number along with a howling audience that Brooks was finally confident about the sequence.

Wilder constantly cracked up during takes. According to Cloris Leachman, "He killed every take (with his laughter) and nothing was done about it!" Shots would frequently have to be repeated as many as fifteen times before Wilder could finally summon a straight face.

Gene Hackman learned about the film through his frequent tennis partner Wilder and requested a role, because he wanted to try comedy. Hackman ad-libbed The Blind Man's parting line "I was gonna make espresso." The scene immediately fades to black because the crew erupted into fits of laughter. Hackman was uncredited when the movie was originally released in theaters. (IMDb)

Happy Birthday, Gene Wilder!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 16, 2022, 11:41:32 AM »

I need to go see the new "Top Gun: Maverick" movie, and I am sure my home town is going to love the movie as they build and test the planes out in the desert. I grew up watching top secret planes flying overhead.

Salute,

Tony V.

How did you know they were top secret planes flying overhead, if they were top secret planes?

Top Gun is bullshit. It was in the 80's, it is today. It's just glorifying the military in order to groom idiots to join it and go get killed.

Fuck Top Gun. Fuck that asshole Tom Cruise.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 16, 2022, 12:35:37 PM »

Never got into Top Gun. I am not sure i ever even watched it all the way through. No interest at all in the sequel.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #438 on: June 16, 2022, 03:05:36 PM »

Naked Gun and the two sequelae are great, however.

Well, when I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That is my policy.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 29, 2022, 04:39:20 PM »

I watched the documentary about Frank Capra...

https://youtu.be/JU6Ti9cqchc

He was such a great man, and a great director. I need to read his book eventually, and maybe a good movie could be made from his book about his life.

It is wonderful how Capra was able to share his love of America with the world, as an immigrant from Sicily. And Capra helped to shape the view that people around the world had of America, and also effected how Americans felt about themselves.

Here in California we have 11 million new immigrants who were born in other nations, and it is our duty to help them to form their view of America, and we need to remind ourselves of our own ideals, and the things that make America special, and the things that make life worth living. That is part of the duty of Hollywood is to do what Capra did and to remind us what makes life wonderful, and Capra reminded us of the power of decency.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 29, 2022, 04:58:04 PM »

He was such a great man, and a great director. I need to read his book eventually, and maybe a good movie could be made from his book about his life.

It is wonderful how Capra was able to share his love of America with the world, as an immigrant from Sicily. And Capra helped to shape the view that people around the world had of America, and also effected how Americans felt about themselves.

Here in California we have 11 million new immigrants who were born in other nations, and it is our duty to help them to form their view of America, and we need to remind ourselves of our own ideals, and the things that make America special, and the things that make life worth living. That is part of the duty of Hollywood is to do what Capra did and to remind us what makes life wonderful, and Capra reminded us of the power of decency.

Salute,

Tony V.

I am glad I could help.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 29, 2022, 05:01:54 PM »

I need to go see the new "Top Gun: Maverick" movie, and I am sure my home town is going to love the movie as they build and test the planes out in the desert. I grew up watching top secret planes flying overhead.

Salute,

Tony V.

How did you know they were top secret planes flying overhead, if they were top secret planes?

Top Gun is bullshit. It was in the 80's, it is today. It's just glorifying the military in order to groom idiots to join it and go get killed.

In my town all of the parents worked on the Space Shuttles, and on top secret planes, so we all knew the names of the top secret planes as they flew over. One good movie about Edwards is "The Right Stuff" and it is about Edwards and Cape Canaveral and the Astronauts and guys like Chuck Yeager who broke the sound barrier. My family was friends with Pete Knight who was the fastest man alive, he flew faster than anyone else. We were always proud of the planes that our community built and tested, and stuff that my hometown built is a source of National pride such as the Shuttles and great planes, etc. ( Of note my Grandmother's Uncle helped to build the Spirit of Saint Louis which was also a source of National pride as the first plane to fly from New York to Paris. ) My hometown is proud to build the best aerospace and defense items in the world, including in the AV and also in China Lake, the desert builds the best defense items that we have.

Right now a new supersonic passenger plane is being developed by Lockheed, hopefully they build it in the desert and create jobs for the people in my hometown. There are a few ideas out there, whichever idea wins I hope they build the new planes in the desert.

And I still have not seen the new movie, and I was not a huge fan of the old one, and I was never a huge fan of Tom Cruise. But, I have a friend from Hollywood who cleaned houses with Cuba Gooding Jr, Brandy, back when they were both poor, and Brandy was so happy when Cuba won his Oscar, and she said it could not have happened to a nicer guy. Cuba won his first Oscar by working with Tom Cruise on "Jerry Maguire" and Tom helped to make Cuba a star. So Cuba went from cleaning houses in Hollywood, to winning an Oscar, thanks in part to Tom Cruise. So, Tom has done some good things.

And I thought that a jet fighter movie in IMAX would be fun, it would be even better in 3-D. I still might go see it.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 06:32:27 PM by FlyingVProd »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: June 29, 2022, 05:03:39 PM »

Salute,

Tony V.

I am glad I could help.

Thanks!

Salute,

Tony V.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 30, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »

Yeah - Tom has done so much to hurt society.

heh
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 30, 2022, 11:11:32 AM »

Yeah - Tom has done so much to hurt society.

heh

Ask his ex-wives about what a great guy he is.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 30, 2022, 03:57:15 PM »

Ham prefers Alec Baldwin
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 07, 2022, 01:44:26 PM »

RIP Sonny Corleone.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2022, 02:02:30 PM »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2022, 06:45:40 PM »

Rest in peace James Caan.

My only experience meeting him was the day I learned how to surf, at Latigo Beach, James Caan was there with a pontoon boat which he used to go out into the ocean to fish, etc. A lot of stars hang out at Latigo Beach.

I also read that he lived at the Playboy Mansion with Hef, and he lived the Playboy party lifestyle with Hef.

James Caan had a good life, and there is no business like show business like no business I know.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2022, 02:37:19 PM »

I follow Oliver Stone on Facebook, and he just posted that his team put everything onto You Tube for him, here in the link...

https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialOliverStone/playlists

He is having a good life, him and his wife were in Italy hanging out with Francis Ford Coppola.

Oliver said that the 1930s were his favorite time for films, and maybe he would be a good person to make a movie about Frank Capra, Oliver is in the documentary, and I am sure Oliver could make a good movie about Capra.

Oliver wants everyone to watch "W" and he said that it is one of his favorite projects. I have not seen the film yet, and I intend to watch it. Maybe I will see if it is on Netflix. But, I really love George W. Bush, so we will see how Oliver shows him in the movie.

Oliver is one of my favorite living filmmakers, and that is my favorite thing about Facebook is that you get to follow some interesting people. ( I just need to be careful what I post on Facebook, and posting while drinking wine can be dangerous. They accused me of supporting terrorism, and they restricted my account, which is all bullshit, I do not support terrorism. I just need to be careful what I post on Facebook. )

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:39:19 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52