Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 44922 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #465 on: August 09, 2022, 08:02:18 PM »

A movie and television studio is like an imagination factory where you can turn your imagination into money. If you can create television shows, like Aaron Spelling did, then you get to have fun while you get extremely rich, and you can make your friends and family rich. If you can create new television shows and movies then you can have a fun and rich life.

I spent time on two Spelling shows, the day I auditioned for the AADA I spent the day hanging out on the set of "Beverly Hills 90210" and then on another day I got to hang out on the set of "Melrose Place" which was cool, both sets were fun sets.

Studios are places where you can turn your imagination into money, while you tell stories to the world, and people can have a voice with their movies and with their television shows.

They can make a lot of money at Camel Rock Studios, while at the same time they can enjoy having a voice.

Salute,

Tony V.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2022, 12:03:51 PM »

As a longtime holder of an opinion unpopular in these parts --  Lubitsch > Wilder -- I enjoyed this piece in The New Yorker on Ernst Lubitsch.  While the article doesn't go as far as I do with the Lubitsch love, it provides an interesting thumbnail of his works, including some collaborations with Wilder.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 13, 2022, 01:19:17 PM »

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #468 on: August 13, 2022, 01:47:25 PM »

Makes a good case for Lubitsch as brilliant and a kind of cinematic paterfamilias, but I don't think that subtracts from Wilder's greatness (and greater range, thematically).  Everyone can use a good mentor. So I'm not ready for a toe tag yet. 

Do we need greater/less than equations at their level of genius?  And wouldn't Preston Sturges also get a spot in this corner of the pantheon?  (whose birth surname was Biden btw)

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 13, 2022, 02:23:26 PM »

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2022, 03:12:04 PM »

Wilder, of course, was aided by his life long partnership with the greatest screenwriter in Hollywood history.

FWlW, Lubitsch best movies also involved great writers, Wilder of course, Shakespere(ish) and Nora Ephron.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2022, 03:18:55 PM »

Well, yes, perhaps I did make a stronger statement than intended via the use of a mathematical symbol. In my book, preferring one entity doesn't entirely negate one to which it is compared. 

It's indisputable that Wilder was a genius in film. Stalag 17 has a permanent spot on my Top 10; and a movie that is widely considered one of his lesser efforts will always be a sentimental favorite of mine. That being said, it is my opinion that Wilder seems to get all the love; and someone else who could be considered equally talented and innovative with regard to comedy and/or a cinematic forebear (again, re comedy) to Wilder might receive less attention and credit than he is due. Short story long, I admit that Wilder is probably all that, but maybe not all that and a bag of chips. (And personally, for as many Wilder films that are well thought of, I think there is a fair number of stinkers on his CV.)   To circle back to my original thought, I do think Lubitsch's contributions to film comedy are often overlooked.

Were Wilder the subject of the essay, I'd include Sturges in the comparison because they were working largely concurrently.  But Sturges becomes active in the industry when Lubitsch's career was tailing off.  Preston Sturges' first directing credit is in 1940 and writing in 1930 (though he was leading a pretty interesting life, so can't blame him for a late start), and Lubitsch died in 1947 with 75 directing credits.  Just my opinion, but Sturges and Lubitsch weren't really contemporaries in the industry, or were only for a figurative 5 minutes.  The two are closer in age to each other than either of them is to Wilder, and both died relatively young -- so they have that in common.

ETA: 

Yes, Lubitsch and Wilder were friends and collaborators. There's no Wilder v Lubitsch cage match in play or anything.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 04:15:13 PM by NotYourAverageSockPuppet »

Holly Martins

« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2022, 07:27:56 PM »

Charles Brackett's description of work process with Wilder is amusing...

The thing to do was suggest an idea, have it torn apart and despised. In a few days it would be apt to turn up, slightly changed, as Wilder s idea. Once I got adjusted to that way of working, our lives were simpler. 

NYASP, I agree about the forebear getting less credit.  Seems to be a common problem.  In relativity theory, Einstein hogs the popular history pages at the expense of Minkowski, Lorentz, and Poincare.  If I were to go and watch a Lubitsch film, what would you start with (if starting with is even meaningful)?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »

Ninotchka. My second favorite movie of 1939.

To Be or Not to Be (Jack Benny version, not the Mel Brooks one) and You ve Got a Shop Around the Corner.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 13, 2022, 08:28:01 PM »

To Be or Not to Be (Jack Benny version, not the Mel Brooks one) and You ve Got a Shop Around the Corner.

All good choices and textbook Lubitsch.  If you can get over Budapest native Jimmy Stewart's drawl in The Shop Around the Corner, it might be the most easily accessible, and you'll recognize the plot from about 50 different takes & remakes.  Plus the supporting cast is aces, IMO. 

Ninotchka is a classic with good reason; not quite flawless but dangerously close.   (Melvyn Douglas is all mine, by the way.)

To Be or Not to Be is a great satire and one of those films where I almost always notice something new with each viewing.  Plus Carole Lombard.

I might add Trouble in Paradise, mentioned in the The New Yorker piece.  Pickpockets, romance, faux romance, plot twists -- and comedy ensues.  Kay Francis is so often mocked, but she's perfect here IMO, and other casting is on target with stalwarts like Edward Everett Horton and C Aubrey Smith backing up the stunning Miriam Hopkins and Herbert Marshall. 

Also a fan of The Smiling Lieutenant and to a lesser degree The Merry Widow.  The former features both Claudette Colbert and Miriam Hopkins and may be worth a viewing for that alone.  Both pictures are frothy and whimsical, which works for me (let me tell you about Love Me Tonight, for example) but may not work for everyone. Also keep in mind that I have a high tolerance level for Maurice Chevalier, so proceed with caution.

Holly Martins

« Reply #475 on: August 13, 2022, 09:19:24 PM »

Wow...this is what film forums used to look like... slightly dizzy here. 

In Whiskey's video, Wilder defines the Lubitsch Touch in terms of how it manifests in The Smiling Lieutenant.  And I see dailymotion.com has it for free viewing.  (Have had no malware problems with it, but I think they get copyright sued now and then)

Holly Martins

« Reply #476 on: August 13, 2022, 09:31:57 PM »

1939 was the Annus Mirabilis of movies, so hard to tell what was best.  Your first favorite was...Fark Victory?  Rules of the Game?  Jamaica Inn (JK)?

I see the typo but somehow can't bring myself to fix.

NotYourAverageSockPuppet

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2022, 10:00:51 PM »

Good lord, is there a GWTW fan in the house? Mr Smith? Stagecoach?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 13, 2022, 10:12:29 PM »

Good lord, is there a GWTW fan in the house? Mr Smith? Stagecoach?
Love GWTW in movie terms but get caught in the despicable text. Never liked Capracorn. Which leaves... Monument Valley.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 13, 2022, 10:16:01 PM »

Also very fond of the sequel, Destry Rides Again. Best Stewart movie of 1939. Never have seen the original Destry, which I believe was directed by the great Indian director O. P. Chandrashakur.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52