Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 44885 times)

Oiled

• View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #570 on: January 25, 2023, 09:06:59 PM »

Har! 

Haven't seen Triangle of Sadness, but it sounds like a possible double feature with Glass Onion.  Am not signing up for Apple+ to see it, however.

Banshees both Frau Can and I want to see, and it reunites Gleeson and Farrell in a McDonagh-penned story, so we are seeing soon.

All Q otWF was one I thought the frau and I would watch, since she's learning German (and forcing me to unrust my HS German), but sounds like I'm on my own with that one.  Zu traurig fur Sie.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 25, 2023, 09:11:21 PM »

You have to just imagine the umlauts.

Also looking to swipe someone's Peacock login so I can see the creative intersection of Rian Johnson and the to-me weirdly sexy Natasha Lyonne in Poker Face.  A pox on all these streaming services that don't share!
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 30, 2023, 11:04:11 AM »

The Banshees of Inisherin is an exceedingly dark existential tragicomedy that may leave you pondering the life of the thinking and creative person in remote rural places.  And the Aran Islands, in 1923, are pretty remote.  The story has the feel of allegory, but Gleeson, Farrell, and the whole ensemble do a fine job of making it seem quite real.  Perhaps I should say that prospective viewers may not want to watch BoI if they are struggling with any personal blues.  There is much despair to be seen.  And if you're expecting an actual external banshee, you will be disappointed. 

I can't say yet if this is McDonagh's best film to date, but this is the sort of film that has to haunt you for a while before you've really absorbed it.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 04, 2023, 05:28:36 PM »

The second most famous native of Hope Arkansas has passed away.

Melinda Dillon, 'A Christmas Story' And 'Close Encounters Of The Third Kind' Actor, Dead At 83
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/melinda-dillon-a-christmas-story-actor-dead-at-83_n_63de8e15e4b01e928871890e
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 04, 2023, 09:00:48 PM »

I long suffered a Michael Fassbender/Jude Law problem with the lovely and talented Ms Dillon.  For some reason, I would confuse her with Sandy Dennis.

Didn't fully understand until I learned that both Dennis and Dillon played "Honey" in Whos Afraid of VA Woolf. Well of course. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 13, 2023, 12:24:23 PM »

RRR proved to be both bat shit crazy and not bat shit crazy enough.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 13, 2023, 02:39:04 PM »

The trailer seemed to show more GRRR than RRR.  Not sure I'll get round to it, but your comment does pique curiosity. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 13, 2023, 03:10:22 PM »

Well, the disclaimer at the beginning assures you that no tigers, leopards, deer or oxen (inter alia) were harmed in the making of the movie. So, you know, if you are interested in the type of movie that needs to say that, it is the movie for you. I mean, in one massive fight scene a character straight up kills a guy by throwing a leopard at him.

Or just type Naatu Naatu into YouTube. Cool clip.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 16, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »

Wow.  Looks like it won best song at the Golden globes.

I think Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly did a very similar dance number in...whatever that movie was.  Two American tourists in India help defeat the British Raj, then die of heat stroke....ungh can't pull up the title.  Or possibly it was Bing Crosby and Bob Hope.  On the Road to Andhra Pradesh.  That's the one. 

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 21, 2023, 04:42:50 PM »

The Netflix dark thriller/comedy "You," while I can admire the satire of self-absorbed Millennial/Z culture, relies too much on heavily worn serial killer and stalker tropes, and a burdensome awareness of its own cuteness.  Season one was enough for me.  To anyone who has seen American Psycho, this may also feel too derivative - though the main character, Joe Goldberg, is in some respects more likeable than Patrick Bateman.  I probably stuck with him for a season because he's a bookstore owner with a genuine passion for literature and the radiantly beautiful Elizabeth Lail. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 27, 2023, 04:37:44 PM »

A tad disappointed to learn that the SAG ensemble cast award for EEAAO did not include Brian Le and Andy Le. Because I would have loved to see what they would have done with the trophies.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 28, 2023, 12:06:34 PM »

A tad disappointed to learn that the SAG ensemble cast award for EEAAO did not include Brian Le and Andy Le. Because I would have loved to see what they would have done with the trophies.

🎭

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 28, 2023, 09:38:18 PM »

🎭
I just saw the cast acceptance speach and the Les were on stage, even though they were not in the citation. Fortunately,  only one trophy.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 08, 2023, 04:32:52 PM »

Not big 9n the AQotWF remake. It was brutal, as it should be, but it was somehow less impactful for all that. Perhaps it was the addition of the peace negotiations. Perhaps it was the decision to have the main character die in a fight ordered to start 15 minutes before the armistice. Perhaps it was the decision to show nothing of the characters outside the army which down plays the lingering dehumanizing effect of the war. But the result for me was a movie whose entire message was shot off before we even meet the main character. "War is all Hell. Now let me show you a bunch of ways in which it is Hell."

The peace talks/last minute death part kind of took the focus from the dehumanizing nature of war to the bull headed behavior of the very real Marshall Foch and the pig headed obstinancy of the fictional General Freidrich. In a way I get it, particularly in a German movie - Erzberger was scapegoated and murdered for signing the armistice and German militarism was sort of a problem going forward, so those scenes may have played differently in Germany. For me, they weakened the effect of the movie. Also, they were amusingly anti French, which I should have expected from a German movie.

Anyway, pretty good, excellent technically, although the sound track relied on a repeat motif that I kept thinking of the movies version of the hourly dong. But I prefer the original which was a true Milestone of cinema.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 08, 2023, 04:33:37 PM »

You have no idea how long I have been sitting on that last joke.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 52