Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295725 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4560 on: June 12, 2021, 02:49:08 PM »

RIP Mudcat Grant.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: June 12, 2021, 07:27:05 PM »

The Buffalo Blue Jays won in a less exciting fashion than their loss last night.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: June 13, 2021, 07:47:57 AM »

My opinion is that over time - if broken down statistically - it will have little impact on team success

But I will give one angle - usually a pinch hitter from your bench will be better than your 8 hitter so late in games that 8 slot is actually at least as strong.

Pitcher in 8 slot also double switched  at times and P ends up in a new lineup slot anyway
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: June 13, 2021, 09:22:50 AM »

It's likely a low to non-existent difference late in games. The place it seems likelier to impact the game is the first couple times through the order, because on average, NL pitchers get 2.1 PA per game. This compares to 3.9 PA per game for the 8th spot in the order or 3.77 PA per game for the 9th spot.

This suggests that over a season, starting pitchers would come up slightly below 12 more times per year batting 8th than batting 9th.

Not a huge impact, but it seems like there might be some significance.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: June 13, 2021, 11:32:34 AM »

Phillies and Yankees played a wired one, yesterday. Each team's closer blew their 2nd straight game. It was the third walk-off in a row for the Phillies, and Jean Segura had his 2nd straight walk-off single.

All part of the strangely scheduled 2-game series whose opener was on a Saturday, and featuring a crowd of +38K.

Strange times for MLB.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: June 13, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: June 13, 2021, 01:15:30 PM »

Good piece on why Bryan Price quit the game he loves. It's no longer the game he loves:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/06/13/bryan-price-phillies-pitching-coach-no-regrets-abruptly-retired/7673290002/

And he did it without going all. Goose Gossagey.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: June 13, 2021, 02:51:24 PM »

Sox are going to need an epic comeback to make this one close, or an epic torrential Biblical downpour immediately to escape this ass-kicking.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: June 13, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »

Sox are going to need an epic comeback to make this one close, or an epic torrential Biblical downpour immediately to escape this ass-kicking.

Too late now for the downpour, unless it washed out the season - and I will pass on that, thanks.

Not just epic, but record-tying comeback.

GO SOX!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: June 13, 2021, 03:22:49 PM »

Too late now for the downpour, unless it washed out the season - and I will pass on that, thanks.

GO SOX!

Now it would be a new record.

See me holding my breath.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: June 13, 2021, 04:08:23 PM »

Phils sweep.

Nice.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: June 13, 2021, 04:20:49 PM »

GO SOX!

Sox +15 was the way to go today.

2TD loss

ugly

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: June 13, 2021, 04:22:05 PM »

Phils sweep.

Nice.

Speaking as an interested bystander, it was nice
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 469