Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295718 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #5670 on: October 14, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »

Most every line I"ve seen have the Dodgers as favorites.  I think betting baseball is nuts.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: October 14, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »

Most every line I"ve seen have the Dodgers as favorites.  I think betting baseball is nuts.

I don't think I have ever waged real money on sports, except to 'fit in' with corporate culture on football betting cards - and not often even then.

Big enough odds and I might throw away a few bucks. Might.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: October 14, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »

But MLB thinks betting on baseball is good. That's why they run game odds on the scroll on MLBTV. That's why they're in bed with Draft Kings. That's why if you go on MLB.com, you can link to this site: https://www.mlb.com/apps/rally/quickpick/

Betting on baseball; or why Pete Rose can't get in the Hall of Fame, because he bet on baseball, was judged by baseball and the writers whose livelihood depends on the game was judged to be morally wrong.

However, MLB is wholeheartedly endorsing, promoting, and enabling betting on baseball, which is morally right. 

Got that?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 12:46:53 PM by Hamilton Samuels »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: October 14, 2021, 12:50:19 PM »

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2949326-cheating-scandals-injuries-and-slumps-dont-matter-the-astros-are-inevitable

Contrary to the story, the Dodgers are still the favorites to win the World Series and they haven't even gotten to the playoff with the Braves!
I haven't done the math, but the Giants -115 (approximate) are slight favorites tonight. The LAD  are -105. Right now Atlanta should be the NL favorite. But once tonight's game is over, they should be a big dog as new money comes in.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: October 14, 2021, 12:56:37 PM »

Giants have won THIRTEEN straight Webb starts at home

I would call this a rather strong trend
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: October 14, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »

The bottom line on the Dodgers/Giants series is that MLB will have more pressure on it to change the play-off structure. It shouldn't be that the two teams with the best records in the league face off prior to the championship game. it shouldn't be that the team with the second best record has to play a play-in game to get into the play-offs.

So, I hope that the outcome of this series forces at least that change, where all teams are first seeded by record, and the reseeded after each advance in the play-offs.

So, in the NL, it should've been ATL v STL, followed by winner to play SF, and LAD to play the Brewers, and then those winners face each other.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: October 14, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »

ASTROS the current favorite - at 2/1

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: October 14, 2021, 01:00:14 PM »

The Dodgers are throwing Urias. The press loves Urias.

That bodes well for the Giants.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: October 14, 2021, 01:03:00 PM »

ASTROS the current favorite - at 2/1
Agreed.  I made a mistake there. My bad. Meant the Astros. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: October 14, 2021, 01:08:56 PM »

The Dodgers are throwing Urias. The press loves Urias.

That bodes well for the Giants.

Dodgers have won Julio's last TWELVE starts, including SEVEN on the road, 2 in San Fran

Strong trend 2 may trump the first

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: October 14, 2021, 01:49:54 PM »

Certainly one of those trends has to give.

(he said, profoundly)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: October 14, 2021, 02:21:33 PM »

Certainly one of those trends has to give.

(he said, profoundly)
You have a future in TV punditry.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: October 14, 2021, 02:40:31 PM »

RIP Ray Fosse, a man whose career was ruined because some overhyped overrated Johnny Gung Ho asswipe singles hitter decided to treat an exhibition game like fucking Game 7.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:12 PM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-shildt-dismissed-by-cardinals

Difference of opinion on the direction of the ball club.

Right.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: October 14, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »

The bottom line on the Dodgers/Giants series is that MLB will have more pressure on it to change the play-off structure. It shouldn't be that the two teams with the best records in the league face off prior to the championship game. it shouldn't be that the team with the second best record has to play a play-in game to get into the play-offs.

So, I hope that the outcome of this series forces at least that change, where all teams are first seeded by record, and the reseeded after each advance in the play-offs.

So, in the NL, it should've been ATL v STL, followed by winner to play SF, and LAD to play the Brewers, and then those winners face each other.

I don't think a 1 game play in for a division champ is proper.  O think you mean after LA wins the WC then they seed by record
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 469