Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3515 3516 [3517] 3518 3519 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1620536 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #52740 on: October 08, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »

Amy Covid Barrett
Amy Culty Barrett

I think I like the first one better ...
Any more?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #52741 on: October 08, 2020, 09:48:49 AM »

Now I understand the meaning of Beelzebub.   Literal Hebrew meaning is "lord of the flies. "   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52742 on: October 08, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »

I also think Biden should nix the next two debates.

Agree or disagree, how will it be ok for Trump to do a TOWN HALL before the two week quarantine period is over?

I guess we have the answer on that.

And of course Trump refuses.  I think a combo of two things; he doesn't want to have his lunch handed to him again, and he knows his bluster and bullying won't play over camera vs. in-person.  If you have no clue what you are talking about, a lot harder to evade providing substance in your answer.

And how will this play politically for Trump when hundreds of millions of Americans have conducted their business and gone to school over Zoom and Teams over the last seven months, largely because of this man's incompetence and refusal to put the country over his reelection?  This guy can't do it for 90 minutes?

Pathetic.

It will play fine for his followers. It will play poorly for his opponents.

His reasoning is dead on and captures him perfectly: the moderator would have the power to cut him off at any time. This underscores what you and I already both know and acknowledge, but Kid and Ward refuse to admit (but also know): Trump has zero respect for the rules his team agreed to and does not view himself as bound to them. OTOH, if Joe won't abide by them, that's a stick to hit him with.

No news here.

Joe should refuse to do the one after it unless Trump does this one, but he is unlikely to do so.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #52743 on: October 08, 2020, 09:54:10 AM »

Amy Covid Barrett
Amy Culty Barrett

Any more?

Any Comely Barrister

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #52744 on: October 08, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »

As few "undecideds" as there may be, the movement in polling following the first debate (and Trump's COVID positive) shows that these things matter.

His skipping the debate will be seen as a continuation of his failures in the first (and as you say, for similar reasons) and will look all the more petulant given that he is being asked to operate in an environment that Americans have been operating in for seven months.

Repeating the mistakes that put him this hole is not what Trump needs to be doing 25 days before the election.  But maybe its all he knows how to do.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52745 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/08/politics/evanina-trump-election-lies-exploited/index.html

US Counter-intelligence Chief Says Foreign Adversaries Are Exploiting Trump's Lies To Influence Our Election

I am so surprised, yet again/

Okay, that's not totally fair. I am surprised that Bill Evanina, the Director of the National Counterintelligence and Security Center, said it outloud.

"If they see a reference made by the President of the United States, a prominent US Senator, a business person, someone who America looks at as a voice of reason, and they believe it suits their interests, they will amplify that by a thousand to make sure that the most amount of people see it," Evanina said.

Evanina made clear that he has not seen any intelligence that foreign countries are "manipulating or attempting to manipulate any mail by vote systems or processes." They are, however, using the issue as a wedge "to exacerbate these conversations we're having."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #52746 on: October 08, 2020, 09:59:59 AM »

As few "undecideds" as there may be, the movement in polling following the first debate (and Trump's COVID positive) shows that these things matter.

His skipping the debate will be seen as a continuation of his failures in the first (and as you say, for similar reasons) and will look all the more petulant given that he is being asked to operate in an environment that Americans have been operating in for seven months.

Repeating the mistakes that put him this hole is not what Trump needs to be doing 25 days before the election.  But maybe its all he knows how to do.

barton

« Reply #52747 on: October 08, 2020, 10:00:42 AM »

The emergency antibody that Trump received last week was developed with the use of a cell line originally derived from abortion tissue, according to Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, the company that developed the experimental drug.

The Trump administration has taken an increasingly firm line against medical research using fetal tissue from abortions. For example, when it moved in 2019 to curtail the ability of the National Institutes of Health to fund such research, supporters hailed a “major pro-life victory” and thanked Trump personally for taking decisive action against what they called the “outrageous and disgusting” practice of “experimentation using baby body parts.”

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/10/07/1009664/trumps-antibody-treatment-was-tested-using-cells-from-an-abortion/

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52748 on: October 08, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »

She should have pushed.

“I think the goal of the moderator is to try, in my view, ask a narrow question in the hope of getting an answer. That was often less successful than I’d hoped, and let the candidates take it over and debate among themselves. It is a debate among them that I was trying to facilitate,” said USA Today’s Susan Page, who moderated the debate.

Still, Page admits she was surprised at the level of non-answers.

“I thought if I asked a question about abortion, the response would be something about abortion, but that was not the case,” she said.

Since it was not an interview or a news conference, Page says she did not push for an answer.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #52749 on: October 08, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »

The National Intel Director Ratcliff looks a lot like Steve Carrell.

Rat cliff might be a proper analogy for the Trump Admin at this point ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #52750 on: October 08, 2020, 10:09:45 AM »

“It’s not a heavy steroid,” Mr. Trump said of the heavy steroid he’s been taking, dexamethasone.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/08/us/harris-pence-trump-biden?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52751 on: October 08, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »

So,.Typhoid Donny is bailing out because the debate commission won't let him turn the second debate into a superspreader event.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #52753 on: October 08, 2020, 10:27:14 AM »

Cheap labour overseas got mrs bambu's job.
European multi-national trading in Australia, with offices on Australian soil, closed the dept in which
mrs bambu was working and sent the jobs to the Philippines.
Filipino workers appeared in mrs bambu's office, she and the other staff told to train them to take over their jobs.
Not happy was mrs bambu, and her work colleagues.
The company declined in their eyes to gutter level.
As luck would have it, mrs bambu was 63 when it happened.
Ageism in the workplace saw her unable to obtain further permanent employment.
Part of it also was that the salaries had halved, but the work was still as stressful and complex as ever.
A footy star (friend of a friend) once told her/us...when asked how his next contract negotiations were progressing:

"If you sign for less than you know you're worth, you'll always feel cheated".

Mrs bambu then just took temp work from agencies, easy work for a higher hourly rate than the new low salaries the companies were offering for the stressful work.
Then retired at 65 and took the govt man's aged pension.

My best wishes to Americans embracing cheap labour  both legal and illegal...hope it works out well for you.
I fear it won't though.
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52754 on: October 08, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »

Amy Covid Barrett
Amy Culty Barrett

Any more?

Any Comely Barrister

Amy Charwoman Barrett.

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett served as a “handmaid,” the term then used for high-ranking female leaders in the People of Praise religious community, an old directory for the group’s members shows.

Barrett has thus far refused to discuss her membership in the Christian organization, which opposes abortion and, according to former members, holds that men are divinely ordained as the “head” of both the family and faith, while it is the duty of wives to submit to them.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-amy-coney-barrett-people-of-praise-handmaid-20201007-4t2kyl4w4vfo3mdy76t7lidmj4-story.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 3515 3516 [3517] 3518 3519 ... 4288