Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295734 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4950 on: August 04, 2021, 10:13:25 AM »

The Yankees history of covering up and lying about injuries (Don Gullet will be back next week!!), albeit for other reasons, makes me very cynical about anything they say.

Until these widespread outbreaks occur in teams other than the Yankees and Nationals claiming 85%, I'll consider their claims very suspicious.

I still think that the way to solve this problem is by forfeiting games, if it is shown that any one person who is linked to it was not vaxxed. Then the clubhouse will respond and be sure that these dopes all get jabbed.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: August 04, 2021, 01:35:22 PM »

"This is a pandemic of CASES, not a pandemic of illnesses"

- Overheard yesterday on one show or another.
No, it is a pandemic of fucking idiots.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: August 04, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »

<i>I still think that the way to solve this problem is by forfeiting games, if it is shown that any one person who is linked to it was not vaxxed. Then the clubhouse will respond and be sure that these dopes all get jabbed.</i>

I like the idea.  I doubt the union will.  And I believe such a policy would probably have to be negotiated.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: August 04, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »

<i>I still think that the way to solve this problem is by forfeiting games, if it is shown that any one person who is linked to it was not vaxxed. Then the clubhouse will respond and be sure that these dopes all get jabbed.</i>

I like the idea.  I doubt the union will.  And I believe such a policy would probably have to be negotiated.

I believe the NFL is putting this in.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: August 04, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2020-tokyo-olympics-team-usa-baseball-defeats-dominican-republic-moves-a-win-away-from-gold-medal-game/amp/

Team USA defeated the Dominican Republic by a 3-1 score as part of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics baseball tournament on Tuesday night. As a result, the Americans will now advance to play South Korea on Thursday with a spot in the gold medal game vs. Japan on the line.

Team USA jumped ahead early, staking out a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning thanks to a two-run home run by Boston Red Sox first base prospect Triston Casas. Neither team scored again until the bottom of the fifth, when the Americans' advantage swelled to 3-0 thanks to a solo home run by Tyler Austin. (Austin had also scored as part of Casas' homer.)

On the pitching side of things, Team USA was paced by veteran southpaw Scott Kazmir. He delivered five shutout innings for the Americans, holding the Dominican Republican to just two hits and a walk. Kazmir struck out five of the 18 batters he faced and threw 80 pitches overall. The Americans then received four shutout innings from a combination of four relievers: Brandon Dickson, Scott McGough, Anthony Gose and David Robertson.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: August 04, 2021, 02:28:46 PM »

Scott Kazmir is, like, 58 isn't he? I take it Jamie Moyer is going to pitch in the semifinal, and Mel Harder in the Gold Medal game.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 02:30:17 PM by Hairy Lime »
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: August 04, 2021, 02:29:33 PM »

I think they discussed it with the union.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: August 04, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »

The Commissioner of the NFL has all power, as the line from ET goes.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: August 05, 2021, 11:15:00 AM »

Speaking of ethics: First implemented in 1965, the draft has been alive for longer than most of you reading this piece. Thanks in part to the spectacle that the NBA and (particularly) NFL events have become, a sports draft now feels like an American institution. As currently marketed, the draft is not just a day on the calendar but an event, a beacon of hope for the future. Feeling down on your luck, Pirates fans? At the draft, you too can catch a Trout!

Distilled to its core though, the draft is an immoral exercise where big league clubs distribute laborers with minimal consent, designed and structured in a manner to limit expenses. There’s no line of work outside of sports that allocates employees to specific businesses like this: The players who get drafted each year never agreed to this system and never would if they had a choice. The unfairness of it all becomes crystal clear under any kind of scrutiny. It would be ridiculous if Bob’s Plumbing in New York held the exclusive rights to my labor simply because they drafted me out of school and it’s no less absurd that the Mets have that kind of power over Rocker.

Rocker’s case is an instructive reminder that the draft has always been a money grab with an indiscriminate sprinkling of collateral damage. MLB originally implemented the exercise because owners were tired of paying large bonuses for amateur players (the $200,000 bonus given to Rick Reichardt was the final straw) and looking for ways to cut scouting and acquisition expenses. Finding ways to pay less for amateur talent has been a frequent hobbyhorse throughout baseball history, and the draft has given several generations of owners opportunities to rope off the free market.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/corollary-damage-kumar-rocker-the-mlb-draft-and-a-better-way-forward/

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: August 05, 2021, 11:20:52 AM »

https://www.mlb.com/news/field-of-dreams-game-uniforms

Inspired by the movie, the Yankees and White Sox will wear special uniforms for the MLB at Field of Dreams Game presented by Geico next Thursday -- and that's just one highlight of the unique twists of the game in Dyersville, Iowa.

New York and Chicago will each have custom uniforms inspired by teams that played in the early 20th century, as they play the first Major League game in Iowa.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: August 05, 2021, 12:52:21 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/2020-tokyo-olympics-team-usa-baseball-defeats-dominican-republic-moves-a-win-away-from-gold-medal-game/amp/

Team USA defeated the Dominican Republic by a 3-1 score as part of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics baseball tournament on Tuesday night. As a result, the Americans will now advance to play South Korea on Thursday with a spot in the gold medal game vs. Japan on the line.

Team USA jumped ahead early, staking out a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning thanks to a two-run home run by Boston Red Sox first base prospect Triston Casas. Neither team scored again until the bottom of the fifth, when the Americans' advantage swelled to 3-0 thanks to a solo home run by Tyler Austin. (Austin had also scored as part of Casas' homer.)

On the pitching side of things, Team USA was paced by veteran southpaw Scott Kazmir. He delivered five shutout innings for the Americans, holding the Dominican Republican to just two hits and a walk. Kazmir struck out five of the 18 batters he faced and threw 80 pitches overall. The Americans then received four shutout innings from a combination of four relievers: Brandon Dickson, Scott McGough, Anthony Gose and David Robertson.

Thanks for the update

Cosas also hit a bomb off the dominant to that point S Korea pitcher, turning that early round game in US favor

NICK MARTINEZ, US starting pitcher, is a great story.  Second baseman primarily at Fordham where he tossed just 26 innings overall.  Has crafted a nice pro career out of his 90+ arm.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: August 05, 2021, 07:53:02 PM »

CFBW for 5 in a row. Mets lose again as Baez wracks up 5 SOs.

1/2 game back with the weekend series against the Mets.

Braves play tonight.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: August 05, 2021, 08:24:14 PM »

Yep.  Pretty good series on tap

Mets have been in first nearing 3 months

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: August 06, 2021, 11:00:56 AM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: August 06, 2021, 07:19:48 PM »

Holy smokes!  Turned off White Sox at Cubs entering bottom 7, Lance Lynn with the tidy 3 hit shutout going - Sox up 2-0.

Final was 8-6 White Sox
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 469