Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295729 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #5430 on: October 07, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/tv-ratings-tuesday-oct-5-2021-1235026752/

ESPN (7.12 million) and ESPN2 (573,000) combined for 7.69 million viewers for the AL wild card game, the most for any wild card matchup since 2015. It was also the biggest audience for a wild card game on ESPN since 1998 and was up 67 percent from the last time ESPN and ESPN2 had the AL wild card in 2019 (4.54 million).

I guess marketing Bucky F Dent nostalgia over rode the glaring omission of pitchers striking out or the intricate beauty of the double switch and goosed WC ratings.

It's that Boston fatigue factor we've heard so much about.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: October 07, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »

Don't forget to vote in the NLDS poll:
http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php?topic=202.0
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: October 07, 2021, 01:21:37 PM »

You won't have to worry about Vasgersian allowing ARod to get away with crap after this season.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/10/06/espn-matt-vasgersian-leaving-sunday-night-baseball

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: October 07, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »

Hate the Dodgers, but that was a great baseball game, last night.

NL baseball is so much more entertaining!!
Yes, because there is nothing so exciting as watching a pitcher bat, except maybe the staggering managerial genius and sublime beauty of a well executed double switch.

Sad you know so little.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: October 07, 2021, 03:42:39 PM »

Certainly don't know/appreciate strategy

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: October 07, 2021, 04:08:04 PM »

Certainly don't know/appreciate strategy
An 8 year old can figure out the strategy of a pitcher's at bat. Hell, Mayo Smith could do it.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: October 07, 2021, 04:14:31 PM »

Though to be fair, Charlie Manuel once had C. C. Sabathia swing away on a 3 - 0 count with one out and the bases loaded in Pittsburgh, telling reporters afterwards, "You were thinking double play. I was thinking 'river'." The press was correct.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: October 07, 2021, 05:02:09 PM »

Given analytics growing role in managerial decisions, and how to approach the game and the game inside the game (match-ups, or how to deal with the 3 batter rule) has negated the purists objection to the DH as a serious argument. With starters going 3 or 4 innings being more common and openers being used more and more, analytics in all of baseball and strategic decisions regarding when to pull the starting pitcher dwarfs the dh role in the game.

And kid, the last defender of Grady's gaffe, arguably the dumbest managerial fuck-up ever, lecturing about not understanding strategy is pretty fucking funny.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: October 07, 2021, 05:02:16 PM »

It was cool seeing Dave Roberts let Pujols swing 3-0

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: October 07, 2021, 05:14:52 PM »

It was cool seeing Dave Roberts let Pujols swing 3-0

It was cool seeing Pujols at all, but that is not the pitcher I would have brought him in to face, given my druthers and Pujols' record. He'd have been no worse off with the original pinch hitter announced.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: October 07, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »

That's not really the issue for me but you could expand in the thought and I will listen

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: October 07, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »

Given analytics growing role in managerial decisions, and how to approach the game and the game inside the game (match-ups, or how to deal with the 3 batter rule) has negated the purists objection to the DH as a serious argument. With starters going 3 or 4 innings being more common and openers being used more and more, analytics in all of baseball and strategic decisions regarding when to pull the starting pitcher dwarfs the dh role in the game.

And kid, the last defender of Grady's gaffe, arguably the dumbest managerial fuck-up ever, lecturing about not understanding strategy is pretty fucking funny.
The game evolves. The rules evolve. And after the new CBA, Forrest will need to move to a city with a team in Japan's Central League to watch what he considers real baseball because they will be the only league without the DH. Or he could just sit on a rocking chair boring local kids with rants about how much better things were in the old days when pitchers batted, you could make racist comments without getting called out and you could throw snowballs at Santa with impunity.  Now get off my lawn!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: October 07, 2021, 06:19:59 PM »

That's not really the issue for me but you could expand in the thought and I will listen

I understand your issue - didn't mean to blow it off so much as had nothing much to say about it. If you have confidence in his judgment, then you let him do it.

Cora lets all of his players make their own decisions - I think he's nuts, but he sure does seem to get results overall, so maybe his path is just right?
-------------

For all that Pujols is... Pujols, he was 0-4 against McFarland. A better hitter against lefties, but honestly, the mistake was putting Lux up to start with.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: October 07, 2021, 06:46:10 PM »

So you wanted Pujols vs Gallegos?  That's cool.  I have to search a little, see if I can find an article re Schildt decision
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 469