Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1665563 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39391 on: June 22, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »

For those of us who are concerned about the coronavirus and surfaces of some materials:
https://www.imls.gov/news/research-shows-virus-undetectable-five-highly-circulated-library-materials-after-three-days?fbclid=IwAR0w-CAIrQ6ghGwmaiowFJDy62eDtsS58lXgE_cvr9wrd6vVJ5aHrgQMQ8k

This is just about books, but is still useful to know.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39392 on: June 22, 2020, 12:51:07 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-steel-tariffs-stand-after-supreme-court-declines-challenge

As dumb as the tariff has been, the lawsuit was even dumber.

Not that this court hasn't shown plenty of willingness to overturn precedent for the flimsiest of reasons, but this one isn't even close.

barton

« Reply #39393 on: June 22, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »

You know a party is failing on the real issues when one of its supporters devotes three pages here obsessing over flag burning.

Remember, bambu is not an American. He comes from a land down under, where Errol Flynn and Mel Brooks, and many more Nazi sympathizers come from....

Mel Brooks?  I am fairly certain he was born in Brooklyn.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39394 on: June 22, 2020, 01:28:05 PM »

I admire TR's record on conservation and other things, but have to agree that the composition of this particular statue (with a Native American and black in subservient positions to TR on the horse) is pretty much an insult to PoC....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/natural-history-museum-remove-teddy-roosevelt-statue-new-york/

Didn't know the statue. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

The energy on vetting statues and determining their symbolism and value to society is very much misplaced.

That energy could be brought to bear on things that matter far more to people, like food insecurity issues that condemn so many children in the USA to physical and mental health stressors that impair their young lives.

Don't waste time with Stonewall Jackson, when Mrs. Brown's kids down the street are starving.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39395 on: June 22, 2020, 01:28:56 PM »

"Some seafarers have been on board for more than a year, and over the course of this pandemic many have been prevented by governments from coming ashore even for a walk and alarmingly refused emergency medical care," Dave Heindel of the International Transport Workers' Federation said in a statement. "Frankly, we have seafarers killing themselves at the prospect of this misery continuing without end. They call them 'floating prisons,'" he added.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/business/seafarers-shipping-coronavirus/index.html

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39396 on: June 22, 2020, 01:29:18 PM »

I admire TR's record on conservation and other things, but have to agree that the composition of this particular statue (with a Native American and black in subservient positions to TR on the horse) is pretty much an insult to PoC....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/natural-history-museum-remove-teddy-roosevelt-statue-new-york/

The energy on vetting statues and determining their symbolism and value to society is very much misplaced.

That energy could be brought to bear on things that matter far more to people, like food insecurity issues that condemn so many children in the USA to physical and mental health stressors that impair their young lives.

Don't waste time with Stonewall Jackson, when Mrs. Brown's kids down the street are starving.
Why not do both?
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39397 on: June 22, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »

Today's Fall Guy:

Poor attendance at his rally in Tulsa, Okla., on Saturday night has President Trump increasingly frustrated with his campaign manager, Brad Parscale, and considering shaking up his reelection team, according to sources familiar with the issue.

“The president has diminishing confidence in Brad,” a former adviser said of Parscale, who served as the campaign’s digital director in 2016.

https://news.yahoo.com/tulsa-rally-failure-may-spark-trump-campaign-team-shakeup-152036731.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39398 on: June 22, 2020, 01:31:39 PM »

Why not do both?

I have no issue with "both". But i do think that one is far more important than the other.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39399 on: June 22, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/george-soros-conspiracy-theories-surge-123449347.html

Because at the end of the day, there's nothing like trying to blame everything on the Jews.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #39400 on: June 22, 2020, 01:38:53 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:43:23 PM by kiidcarter8 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39402 on: June 22, 2020, 01:41:54 PM »

barton

« Reply #39403 on: June 22, 2020, 01:44:39 PM »

Why not do both?

Was going to ask the same.   It's not an either/or thing.    All can benefit from both healthy meals and public symbols that respect all ethnicities and represent what America's finest ideals are.   Indeed,  I would say greater public awareness of our cultural symbols and ideals also draws greater awareness of where our social safety nets have holes,  like food security,  decent housing, schools,  healthcare,  etc.   

If you don't think there's a connection between slaveholders and colonialists looming over town squares and an attitude of disrespect  and neglect towards black people, you may not be paying attention. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:49:01 PM by barton »

barton

« Reply #39404 on: June 22, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »

https://twitter.com/madisongesiotto/status/1274509615418441729

Haven't posted from her in a while

Maybe you should have  waited a little longer.   Until the tweets are posthumous perhaps.   A time when scholars  can study sloganeering partisan hacks,  maybe.   
Pages: 1 ... 2625 2626 [2627] 2628 2629 ... 4288