Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264846 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1830 on: January 03, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »

Well, cap, for bowl eligibility the Big 10 would go 1 - 1 in each of those seven extra conference games. Barring a miracle along the order.of mlm loave and fishes the SEC won't lose any of those OOC games to FCS teams. One extra win for the weaker half of their teams makes it easier to get teams bowl eligible.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: January 03, 2019, 05:37:14 PM »

...In the 104 years of the Rose Bowl the game has NEVER featured two 3 loss teams’ but that becomes more than just possible under an 8 team playoff system. ...
No, not necessarily.
would have happened this year to both the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

We're talking about future configurations, but then you know that.
I know that.  That’s what I posted. But you questioned it.
Unless the CFP limits Conferences to only 2 playoff teams it would likely happen every year in an 8 team playoff. 2016, for example, the Big Ten would have had 4 eligible teams.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 03, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »

Well, cap, for bowl eligibility the Big 10 would go 1 - 1 in each of those seven extra conference games. Barring a miracle along the order.of mlm loave and fishes the SEC won't lose any of those OOC games to FCS teams. One extra win for the weaker half of their teams makes it easier to get teams bowl eligible.

The Big Ten has more weak teams. SOS proves that out. So the argument you're making has no teeth, I understand what you are saying. And it would make sense if the Big Ten were as strong(I mean really football strong) as the SEC. Currently they're just not. Not a dig, just reality.

Now your point has much more teeth if you make it with the ACC in mind. But model just doesn't work with the SEC. If you analyze the power rankings of lets say Massey would prove that out. Basically half of the teams in the Top 15 are SEC squads. Dividing that up by the five Power Conferences they should only have three. Not the seven they actually have. And really when it comes right down to it that's what we are talking about. If Kentucky had to play PSU in the regular season they have a legit shot at winning it.

Now while I fully see your point that they might have one more loss(and they might not) that doesn't change the actual 'football' power of the team. Furthermore there would have been only one team affected by that one more loss in as much as they would have been knocked out of bowl contention. So I see Delaney's talk as more of the excuse type rather than a legitimate beef. Others might see it your way and that's cool too. Opinions vary. 
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 03, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »

...In the 104 years of the Rose Bowl the game has NEVER featured two 3 loss teams’ but that becomes more than just possible under an 8 team playoff system. ...
No, not necessarily.
would have happened this year to both the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

We're talking about future configurations, but then you know that.
I know that.  That’s what I posted. But you questioned it.

Just bringing up this year was in your words senseless.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 03, 2019, 06:26:44 PM »

Do university acceptance rates have any place in this discussion?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 03, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »

The Big Ten has more weak teams. SOS proves that out. So the argument you're making has no teeth, I understand what you are saying. And it would make sense if the Big Ten were as strong(I mean really football strong) as the SEC. Currently they're just not. Not a dig, just reality.

Now your point has much more teeth if you make it with the ACC in mind. But model just doesn't work with the SEC. If you analyze the power rankings of lets say Massey would prove that out. Basically half of the teams in the Top 15 are SEC squads. Dividing that up by the five Power Conferences they should only have three. Not the seven they actually have. And really when it comes right down to it that's what we are talking about. If Kentucky had to play PSU in the regular season they have a legit shot at winning it.

Now while I fully see your point that they might have one more loss(and they might not) that doesn't change the actual 'football' power of the team. Furthermore there would have been only one team affected by that one more loss in as much as they would have been knocked out of bowl contention. So I see Delaney's talk as more of the excuse type rather than a legitimate beef. Others might see it your way and that's cool too. Opinions vary.
Every Big.10 team is substantially better.than Charleston southern.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 03, 2019, 07:07:15 PM »

Every Big.10 team is substantially better.than Charleston southern.

Citadel too.

That's not the point. Like I said all of em except one could lose that extra game and still be bowl eligible. Of course all of them wouldn't lose.

If you totally flipped that idea on its head and all of the Big Ten schools would have won one more game only 2 schools would have been rendered bowl eligible.

Now here's the part I introduced earlier when this stuff was being knocked around. There is nothing stopping the Big 10 from only playing 8 conference games.

Not one thing. Why do they and other conferences do it? Follow the money.

To do so would cost the Big Ten revenue. That's right cold hard cash. How you say? The SEC "pays" these sad sacks to play them and it pays them plenty.

The greedy Big 10 doesn't want anything to do with that. So they mask that by a bullshit argument that somehow by playing 9 games they are tougher and so much more righteous by some screwy way. A way that any rational person would be hard pressed to fathom why. :-)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:09:05 PM by CaptainCargo »

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 03, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »

To give those Trump-loving southerners a peek at the real California, not that sit-com California to the south. (Sorry, Troj, but you know it is true.)

I actually have no idea what you are talking about here.  If you are talking about the difference between Northern and Southern California, I am well versed in the topic and could debate that easily.  I have lived in No Cal, So Cal and Central Cal.  I finally chose to live in So Orange County as I felt it had the best combination of opportunity and living conditions.   I may move to Napa Valley though in a few more years.

The Silicon Valley is not any more the "real" California than Yosemite is or Los Angeles is for that matter.   They are all a part of it.   California is a living breathing thing, constantly changing and reinventing itself for better or for worse...lately more for worse.

What any of that has to do with Donald Trump is a mystery to me.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 03, 2019, 07:37:18 PM »

the Rose Bowl... game has NEVER featured two 3 loss teams’ but that becomes more than just possible under an 8 team playoff system.

That would suck
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 03, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »

I think part of the reason that talk of an expanded playoff may have subsided at the moment...is that everything worked out pretty neatly this year.

No one really has a legitimate complaint at this point.  There were four undefeated teams at the end of the regular season and one of them did not get in...but they lost anyway...so we're all good for the time being.

But that doesn't mean chaos won't rear its head again next year.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 03, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »

I'll your answer to my snarky question as "no."
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 03, 2019, 08:31:51 PM »

Of course I said nothing about graduation rates. But if that's an important part of the conversation to you rock on with it.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 03, 2019, 09:00:07 PM »

I don't know. Since you seem to like this feel free to continue your research.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 03, 2019, 09:11:41 PM »

I've frequently heard the story that Joe Namath was rejected by Maryland because his test scores weren't good enough.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 03, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »

Fair enough. Namath told the tale himself, but he's just an old drunk anyway.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:25:49 PM by Yankguy1 »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 329