Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

When do yo think the MLB regular season will start?

On time
- 1 (33.3%)
Late, but on or before April 15th
- 0 (0%)
April 16th through April 30th
- 0 (0%)
May 1st through May 15th
- 2 (66.7%)
May 16th through May 31st
- 0 (0%)
Jun1st through June 15th
- 0 (0%)
June 16th through June 30th
- 0 (0%)
After June 30th
- 0 (0%)
No Season
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: February 13, 2022, 10:41:25 PM

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 469

Author Topic: Major League Baseball  (Read 295527 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Major League Baseball
« Reply #4575 on: June 13, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »

I think Boone's in trouble.  But this is Cashman's baby.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: June 13, 2021, 04:37:08 PM »

Rays never lose.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: June 14, 2021, 07:54:23 AM »

I think Boone's in trouble.  But this is Cashman's baby.

From the NYPOST comment section after the article found here:https://nypost.com/2021/06/13/terrible-yankees-blanked-by-phillies-in-embarrassment/

Flavius Spaghettini

15 hours ago

When play from the Yankees like today's continues on and without any remedial action it has be a clearcut indication that Hal, Brian and Aaron are all on-board and totally okay with it, regardless of the losses, fan outrage or embarrassment. If that's so, then the family should do the honorable thing and sell the team to people who would care enough to take action and stop the insanity. This is one of sportsworld's greatest and most storied teams.

Cary Greene
Flavius Spaghettini

14 hours ago
Many of us have been writing the same thing for weeks! Hal Steinbrenner is allowing a culture of mediocrity to exist. It's a travesty to his father's memory. I'm coming to the conclusion that he does need to sell the team.

Gotta love that name; Flavius Spaghettini!

Lemme guess. They want Trump to buy it?

:D
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: June 14, 2021, 11:21:38 AM »

Article in today's The Athletic:
Is the timing of Red Sox pitching problems a coincidence, or is it related to MLB’s looming substance crackdown?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: June 14, 2021, 01:14:31 PM »

https://nypost.com/2021/06/14/brian-harkins-adds-yankees-corey-kluber-to-his-sticky-list/

Gerrit Cole would rather not talk about what he puts on a baseball when he pitches.

Brian “Bubba” Harkins has no such issue.

As MLB’s crackdown on pitchers using foreign substances approaches and offensive numbers have already ticked up, the former Los Angeles Angels visiting clubhouse manager — who was fired in 2020 for providing pitchers with a substance he made — told Sports Illustrated that some of the biggest names in baseball used his product.

Including Cole and fellow Yankees pitcher Corey Kluber.

A text allegedly from Cole sent in 2019 was included in Harkins’ defamation lawsuit against the Angels that has since been dismissed and is currently being appealed.

It read, “Hey Bubba, it’s Gerrit Cole, I was wondering if you could help me out with this sticky situation. We don’t see you until May, but we have some road games in April that are in cold weather places. The stuff I had last year seizes up when it gets cold.”

Cole has repeatedly declined to address the issue and was unable or unwilling to answer a question about whether he’d ever used Spider Tack when he was asked last week following thinly veiled accusations from the Twins’ Josh Donaldson.

Donaldson pointed out that Cole’s spin rate had dropped after a report came out that four minor leaguers had been suspended this season for using foreign substances.

Spider Tack and Harkins’ formula, which he told SI was a mixture of liquid pine tar, solid pine tar and rosin, are among the substances pitchers have used to improve their command.

What hitters — and now MLB — have grown concerned about is the increase of usage and advanced technology have taken it from pitchers getting better control to being able to throw “nasty” pitches, as Donaldson put it.

Harkins told SI that he shipped tins of the “sticky stuff” to pitchers such as Cole and Washington’s Max Scherzer, as well as Kluber.

"Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive."

Get out your asterisks.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: June 14, 2021, 01:59:58 PM »

For what stats?
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Holly Martins

« Reply #4581 on: June 14, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »

For many dog owners, just making it to Westminster is a thrill — even for baseball’s all-time home run leader, Barry Bonds, who was cheering on a miniature schnauzer he owns with sister Cheryl Dugan.

The dog, Rocky, didn’t win his breed, but the slugger said he was proud of Rocky simply for qualifying for the champions-only show.

“We won because we got here. That’s all that matters,” Bonds told Fox Sports. “I’ve been to a lot of playoffs, and I’ve been to the World Series, and I’ve never won. But for 22 years, I kept trying.”   

https://apnews.com/article/dogs-sports-c14bc59b70a0b9b5c4a1fa0aab2e77c6

Prime Peke! Wasabi the Pekingese wins Westminster dog show 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: June 14, 2021, 03:36:26 PM »

For many dog owners, just making it to Westminster is a thrill — even for baseball’s all-time home run leader, Barry Bonds, who was cheering on a miniature schnauzer he owns with sister Cheryl Dugan.

The dog, Rocky, didn’t win his breed, but the slugger said he was proud of Rocky simply for qualifying for the champions-only show.

“We won because we got here. That’s all that matters,” Bonds told Fox Sports. “I’ve been to a lot of playoffs, and I’ve been to the World Series, and I’ve never won. But for 22 years, I kept trying.”   

Does Westminster ban HGH?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: June 14, 2021, 08:13:44 PM »

My ex was a huge cocker spaniel fan and eventually I became one as well. After some serious over-breeding due to Disney's Lady and the Tramp, a snappy variant took hold for awhile, but eventually the trait was breeded out. We had 4 cockers, 3 from rescue and one from a breeder and all 4 were wonderful house pets and good with a young child. Bailey the last one we had was sweet but dumb as a stump, (for comparison I once had a Maltese that was really smart, "Auggie" who often helped me with discounted cash flow projections). In any case, Bailey, a really beautiful dog, was from a line that had won "Best in Breed" at Westminster. The dog was gorgeous, but there was some minor imperfection that the breeder told us would preclude Bailey from ever being a show dog. And we got him cheap, but had to have him neutered first as a condition of the sale. End of the line for Bailey.

as an side the movie Best in Show, a satire documentary, on the business of Dog Show competition is hilarious.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: June 14, 2021, 10:00:10 PM »

weird game

Sox headed for 1-0 win after giving up 4 score and 7 runs over the past couple of games,

2 outs in the 9th and Vlad Jr launches a rocket that triggered Canadian air defense response, 1-1

Devers knocks in winner in the 9th

2-1

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: June 15, 2021, 09:49:54 PM »

All knotted up in the 3rd quarter.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: June 15, 2021, 10:05:36 PM »

Yankees playing a home game in Buffalo. Don't think that MLB didn't know that was going to happen.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: June 15, 2021, 10:59:44 PM »

All knotted up in the 3rd quarter.

Field goal in the 4th quarter wins it!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: June 15, 2021, 11:00:20 PM »

Yankees playing a home game in Buffalo. Don't think that MLB didn't know that was going to happen.

I'm sure they did, but what was the alternative?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: June 16, 2021, 08:58:53 AM »

Sawamura a real find

Can Sox - as mediocre as they are - hold on to a playoff spot?

Baseball karma would say no, we'll see

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 469