Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3877 3878 [3879] 3880 3881 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1632240 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #58170 on: November 25, 2020, 01:05:15 PM »

Hitting back: Yahoo News
Trump campaign sued for attempting to disenfranchise Black voters
Crystal Hill
Crystal Hill·Reporter
Wed, November 25, 2020, 5:00 AM EST

The Trump campaign has repeatedly attempted to use the judicial system to overturn the president’s defeat to President-elect Joe Biden, filing more than two dozen unsuccessful lawsuits since Election Day.

But the president’s campaign now finds itself on the other side of a legal case in a newly filed federal lawsuit alleging that it violated the Voting Rights Act of 1965 when it sought to “disenfranchise hundreds of thousands of voters,” particularly African Americans in metropolitan areas of Michigan.

“It’s not even about the success of President Trump and the Trump campaign’s attempts to overturn the election,” Monique Lin-Luse, assistant counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund, which filed the lawsuit, told Yahoo News. “The very attempt ... to overturn it by disenfranchising and de-legitimizing Black voters is what we believe is unlawful, and it's also dangerous and corrosive to our democracy.”

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-campaign-sued-for-attempting-to-disenfranchise-black-voters-100000739.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58171 on: November 25, 2020, 01:08:58 PM »

Trump’s assault on our fair elections is the culmination of the conscious decision by the Republican Party to suppress the votes of marginalized communities rather than reach out in any meaningful way..

It’s no accident the Trump campaign has targeted the votes of black and brown people from the counties that carried Joe Biden to victory in the swing states.

Below is the abstract from a paper I produced in 2014:

“Recent polling data has shown widespread support for the proposal and enactment of new laws changing voting procedures in many states controlled by conservative legislatures. Supporters of these new laws contend they are necessary for electoral security and to prevent in-person voter fraud, while opponents state the new laws are designed to suppress the increasing voting power of racial/ethnic minorities (primarily African Americans) and to maintain the status quo in regions that are experiencing demographic shifts in the voting populations.

The purpose of this study was to try and understand why there is support for these new laws in the face of evidence that voter fraud is extremely rare and the specific target of these new laws, in-person voting fraud is statistically non-existent. This effort examines the relationship between perceptions of African Americans and support for these new voting laws and whether those perceptions are reinforced by exposure to television and television news. Cultivation theory states people who spend more hours watching television than others perceive the real world to be an accurate reflection of the world they see on television. This study was an attempt to determine if the support for these new voting laws has been influenced by the amount of television people watch and the results indicate that this may indeed be the case.

To examine if there was a correlation between the representations of African Americans in the media and the support for new voting laws a cross-sectional survey was distributed through social media networks on the Internet to two hundred fifty participants with one hundred ninety fully completing the survey.

Participants who reported a negative perception of African Americans indicated their support for laws eliminating early voting periods and support for stricter voter identification laws. Participants who reported watching more television than others were more likely to believe portrayals of African Americans on television were accurate and also indicated their support for strict voter identification standards and support for laws eliminating early voting. As such people who watch more television may be exposed to more negative racial imagery in television programming and that may wield influence over their decision making process on issues concerning local and national politics as well as society in general.

Trump isn't the real problem. The real problem is SCOTUS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-breathtakingly-radical-approach-120048391.html

And Congress has the solution.

Didn’t say Trump was the real problem.

The real problem is the decade long attack on the votes of black people by the Republicans with the tacit support of the majority of white people.

Guess you skipped reading the piece.
h

I read the piece.

What I posted was written six years ago detailing why a majority approved of the assault on black voting rights.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58172 on: November 25, 2020, 01:18:59 PM »

Trump’s assault on our fair elections is the culmination of the conscious decision by the Republican Party to suppress the votes of marginalized communities rather than reach out in any meaningful way..

It’s no accident the Trump campaign has targeted the votes of black and brown people from the counties that carried Joe Biden to victory in the swing states.

“Recent polling data has shown widespread support for the proposal and enactment of new laws changing voting procedures in many states controlled by conservative legislatures. Supporters of these new laws contend they are necessary for electoral security and to prevent in-person voter fraud, while opponents state the new laws are designed to suppress the increasing voting power of racial/ethnic minorities (primarily African Americans) and to maintain the status quo in regions that are experiencing demographic shifts in the voting populations.

The purpose of this study was to try and understand why there is support for these new laws in the face of evidence that voter fraud is extremely rare and the specific target of these new laws, in-person voting fraud is statistically non-existent. This effort examines the relationship between perceptions of African Americans and support for these new voting laws and whether those perceptions are reinforced by exposure to television and television news. Cultivation theory states people who spend more hours watching television than others perceive the real world to be an accurate reflection of the world they see on television. This study was an attempt to determine if the support for these new voting laws has been influenced by the amount of television people watch and the results indicate that this may indeed be the case.

To examine if there was a correlation between the representations of African Americans in the media and the support for new voting laws a cross-sectional survey was distributed through social media networks on the Internet to two hundred fifty participants with one hundred ninety fully completing the survey.

Participants who reported a negative perception of African Americans indicated their support for laws eliminating early voting periods and support for stricter voter identification laws. Participants who reported watching more television than others were more likely to believe portrayals of African Americans on television were accurate and also indicated their support for strict voter identification standards and support for laws eliminating early voting. As such people who watch more television may be exposed to more negative racial imagery in television programming and that may wield influence over their decision making process on issues concerning local and national politics as well as society in general.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-breathtakingly-radical-approach-120048391.html

The real problem is the decade long attack on the votes of black people by the Republicans with the tacit support of the majority of white people.

h

I read the piece.

What I posted was written six years ago detailing why a majority approved of the assault on black voting rights.

Your data (from 6 years ago, too) is weak, at least in this excerpt, for the assertions you're making. It doesn't mean you're wrong, only that your argument as youve posted it here falls short of being supported.

Post the whole study, not just the conclusions you've drawn.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58173 on: November 25, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »

A Pennsylvania judge issued an order temporarily preventing the state from taking any further actions to certify the election results.

The ruling stops action until after a Nov. 27 hearing, “to the extent that there remains any further action to perfect the certification of the results of the 2020 General Election
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #58174 on: November 25, 2020, 01:59:42 PM »

I am sitting in Panera right now - mask off when I sip my coffee, spaced about 15 feet from the next customer - but closer at times - when ordering, refilling etc.
Proper?

It comes down to level of risk.
And I don't know the level of transmission/risk in your community.

Personally I probably wouldn't be there, because you have to demask to drink & eat.  And yeah, you're going to move around some and so are other customers.
And all of these relatively low-risk behaviors and situations add up and one time you're luck will run out.  Probably a coffee shop or bar shouldn't be open except for take out.  But again, I'm not familiar with the risk level in your area.

My strategy would be to err on the side of caution and avoid as many potential contracting situations as possible.  And while I am a big mask booster, I do agree that it's fine to use discretion.  Nobody anywhere near you, fine to put the mask down on your chin or even pocket it maybe.  After the lockdown in China, I still wore my mask even while bicycling for another month.  Then another two months I would mostly have it on my chin, and just slip it up when I was near other people, primarily just when I got stopped at traffic lights.

I think the best thing to recall is that you should wear a mask as a courtesy/responsibility to protect other people around you.  It also affords you some protection, but mask wearing is mostly about keeping the virus out of the public realm, protecting everybody.

As for what constitutes public for the purposes of the virus response, I'd say anywhere outside your house where other people are nearby.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #58175 on: November 25, 2020, 02:01:30 PM »

h

I read the piece.

Your data (from 6 years ago, too) is weak, at least in this excerpt, for the assertions you're making. It doesn't mean you're wrong, only that your argument as youve posted it here falls short of being supported.

Post the whole study, not just the conclusions you've drawn.

It’s called an abstract for a reason.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58176 on: November 25, 2020, 02:48:16 PM »

I am sitting in Panera right now - mask off when I sip my coffee, spaced about 15 feet from the next customer - but closer at times - when ordering, refilling etc.
Proper?

It comes down to level of risk.
And I don't know the level of transmission/risk in your community.

Personally I probably wouldn't be there, because you have to demask to drink & eat.  And yeah, you're going to move around some and so are other customers.
And all of these relatively low-risk behaviors and situations add up and one time you're luck will run out.  Probably a coffee shop or bar shouldn't be open except for take out.  But again, I'm not familiar with the risk level in your area.

My strategy would be to err on the side of caution and avoid as many potential contracting situations as possible.  And while I am a big mask booster, I do agree that it's fine to use discretion.  Nobody anywhere near you, fine to put the mask down on your chin or even pocket it maybe.  After the lockdown in China, I still wore my mask even while bicycling for another month.  Then another two months I would mostly have it on my chin, and just slip it up when I was near other people, primarily just when I got stopped at traffic lights.

I think the best thing to recall is that you should wear a mask as a courtesy/responsibility to protect other people around you.  It also affords you some protection, but mask wearing is mostly about keeping the virus out of the public realm, protecting everybody.

As for what constitutes public for the purposes of the virus response, I'd say anywhere outside your house where other people are nearby.

See?  We sort of agree.  Not so hard when you're not being a know it all bombastic COVID cop.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #58177 on: November 25, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »

I think the best thing to recall is that you should wear a mask as a courtesy/responsibility to protect other people around you.

This is true. But sadly this is also the least persuasive type of argument in such an individualistic society as the one we live in here in America.

Individual freedom is perceived as the more inalienable right than the responsibility to be a conscientious and accountable member of society.  Rights are more important than responsibilities in the USofA.  While freedom is indeed an amazing right to be cherished and protected, it also cannot and must not be enjoyed at the expense of public health and safety.  Everyone in this country believes in what I just underlined, which is why so many people are denying the actual risk that COVID represents.   If it's not that great a risk, they reason, then it must not infringe on 'ma freedoms.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

bodiddley

• View Profile
Blind Trust
« Reply #58178 on: November 25, 2020, 03:03:50 PM »

On Jan. 23, as word spread through Congress that the coronavirus posed a major economic and public health threat, Perdue sold off $1 million to $5 million in Cardlytics stock at $86 a share before it plunged, according to congressional disclosures.

Weeks later, in March, after the company’s stock plunged further following an unexpected leadership shakeup and lower-than-forecast earnings, Perdue bought the stock back for $30 a share, investing between $200,000 and $500,000.

Those shares have now quadrupled in value, closing at $121 a share on Tuesday.

https://apnews.com/article/senator-david-perdue-georgia-stocks-198e39c67f90e25bb6b2398bd32c1363
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #58179 on: November 25, 2020, 03:36:01 PM »

Thanks Kam

I do not like him any more

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58180 on: November 25, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #58181 on: November 25, 2020, 03:45:07 PM »

If that is where you are headed, then they win because they keep you playing their game.

The trick is to change the game so as to make the one they play irrelevant.

Some merit to that approach.   I'm trying to think of concrete examples,  but it's hard to change the game.   

BTW,  been enjoying your thoughtful posts lately.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58182 on: November 25, 2020, 03:46:26 PM »

If that is where you are headed, then they win because they keep you playing their game.

The trick is to change the game so as to make the one they play irrelevant.

http://www.salon.com/2020/11/25/trump-isnt-the-reason-we-cant-quit-trump--the-obsession-is-really-about-his-followers/

Better manners and better policies alone won’t get it done. I used to think so, then I used to hope so, but republicans have shown they are immune to good manners and good policy.

Republicans want their war on America. We need to make sure they lose everywhere. Part of that is understanding the war has already begun.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:51:15 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #58183 on: November 25, 2020, 03:50:55 PM »

See?  We sort of agree.  Not so hard when you're not being a know it all bombastic COVID cop.

Confused.   Thought you said you Iggy people for "abuse. "  But dispensing insults is fine,  then?   

SINCE I'M ON IGGY COULD SOMEONE REPOST THIS.   WOULD REALLY HELP TO HAVE AN ANSWER.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 03:59:04 PM by barton »

barton

« Reply #58184 on: November 25, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »

I think the best thing to recall is that you should wear a mask as a courtesy/responsibility to protect other people around you.

This is true. But sadly this is also the least persuasive type of argument in such an individualistic society as the one we live in here in America.

Our nation's most rugged individualists march around in red hats,  wave flags, enjoy group chants of "lock her up" and slavishly follow a cult leader echoing every utterance from that leader.   It's pretty entertaining when you ignore all the damage they do.
Pages: 1 ... 3877 3878 [3879] 3880 3881 ... 4288