Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2786 2787 [2788] 2789 2790 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1623845 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41805 on: July 08, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »

Mary Trump's tell-all book about Uncle donnie looks like it might make for fun reading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/us/politics/mary-trump-book.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

According to the article

As a high school student in Queens, Ms. Trump writes, Donald Trump paid someone to take a precollegiate test, the SAT, on his behalf. The high score the proxy earned for him, Ms. Trump adds, helped the young Mr. Trump to later gain admittance when he transferred as an undergraduate to the University of Pennsylvania’s prestigious Wharton business school.

I think this might explain his aversion to testing, and his need to mistate test results.

White supremacists love to argue that Obama's success was unearned, particularly that he only got into those fancy schools because he is Black.  We know this because kiidcarter8 has quoted directly from their websites here!

So surely the knowledge that their dear leader straight up cheated to get into fancy schools (and repeatedly uses the fact that he got into those schools as proof of his own brilliance) will be a shocking revelation that they will find hard to square with their heart-felt and sincere beliefs that admission to our country's universities remain entirely merit based, right?

Right?  Kiidcarter8?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41806 on: July 08, 2020, 08:42:18 AM »

The elephant, Buffalo and impala aren’t armed and disputing corners.

The elephant and buffalo are armed. They also work in collaboration.

You seem more like the Impala.

The lions and leopards dispute territory. The cheetah has to work fast, and eat fast. Because the hyenas will come to steal his food.
The hippo is more of a soloist, and kills whoever gets in his way.

The baboons sit in the trees and taunt.

You can find all of these represented in ANY neighborhood.

But all the best neighborhoods have elephants. Matriarchal societies who take care of their own.

I believe my first sentence referenced the increase of gun violence across the nation. You took my metaphor to Botswana and back.

So I guess that makes you the baboon.

No. You just can't read well.

You wrote the analogy. Now that you can't clarify it without taking offense or without twisting others' words indicates something about your nature, not mine.

Be well. And look both ways before crossing the street.

I stand by the original post.

I said what I said.

Yes. Stand by it. You said what you said. Which was nothing worth being said.

Go have a drink, grandpa. You’re not quite drunk enough to be entertaining.

Agist.

Oh come on I have three grandchildren. LOL

And some of your best friends are old, too, right?

Lawrence.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41807 on: July 08, 2020, 09:21:15 AM »

Some people believe China has fiddled the books with numbers.
"Some people believe" is a shitty metric for whether a statement should be taken seriously. Something your number 2 number 1 radio host proves routinely. As do you. But then,.and.i have not said this enough lately, you are a RACIST IDIOT.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41808 on: July 08, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »

So... Red, who pretends to knowledge he does not possess, has decided to mock barton for displaying knowledge he does?
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

barton

« Reply #41809 on: July 08, 2020, 09:42:28 AM »

The US is adding one wuhan (50k total) per day in Covid cases.   
Anyone talking about anarchists or cancel culture is an unpaid crisis actor.
LOL!
The ultimate of non-seguiturs.
As for the idiocy of cancel- culture

https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberal-writers-activists-open-letter-call-to-end-cancel-culture

No g in sequitur. 

Cancel culture is the language of the  powerless non-violent protestor.   

You just don't want any challenge to power.

Given that Chomsky et al gave as much tongue-lashing to Trump and the RW as they did to liberal dogmatism,  I have to wonder if Ward actually read the posted link.   And I am not going to cut/paste snippets for our literacy-challenged constitutional scholar.  Generally,  had a pretty good belly-laugh at the thought of Ward citing Noam Chomsky as somehow supportive of his mindset.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41810 on: July 08, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »

Trump comments on his Stats:

https://youtu.be/6fUmbTqnacA
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #41811 on: July 08, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »

The US is adding one wuhan (50k total) per day in Covid cases.   
Anyone talking about anarchists or cancel culture is an unpaid crisis actor.
LOL!
The ultimate of non-seguiturs.
As for the idiocy of cancel- culture

https://www.foxnews.com/media/liberal-writers-activists-open-letter-call-to-end-cancel-culture

No g in sequitur. 

Cancel culture is the language of the  powerless non-violent protestor.   

You just don't want any challenge to power.

Given that Chomsky et al gave as much tongue-lashing to Trump and the RW as they did to liberal dogmatism,  I have to wonder if Ward actually read the posted link.   And I am not going to cut/paste snippets for our literacy-challenged constitutional scholar.  Generally,  had a pretty good belly-laugh at the thought of Ward citing Noam Chomsky as somehow supportive of his mindset.

These additional signers of the letter deepened the joke...

Other signatures attached to the letter include New York Times columnists David Brooks and Michelle Goldberg, CNN host Fareed Zakaria, The Atlantic writer David Frum, "The Handmaid's Tale" author Margaret Atwood and feminist icon Gloria Steinem.   

The problem Ward has is that he doesn't see that most liberals have no problem with having RW spectrum views be platformed where everyone can see them,  and thus be aware of how many people are thinking.   Nor does he seem to grasp that all those signatories condemn Trumpian attempts at suppression and slander of the Left as a particularly odious example of "cancel. " 

barton

« Reply #41812 on: July 08, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »

Let's get an encyclopedia definition up here...

The act of canceling (American English) or cancelling (British English; see spelling differences), also referred to as cancel culture (a variant on the term "callout culture") describes a form of boycott in which an individual, who has shared a questionable or controversial opinion, or has had behavior in their past that is perceived to be offensive recorded on social media, is "canceled"; they are ostracized and shunned by former friends, followers and supporters alike, leading to declines in any careers and fanbase the individual may have at any given time.  Harper's Magazine published an open letter on 7th July 2020, signed by 150 public figures, setting out arguments against "an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty."

In short,  you can feel moral certainty.  But you can't then put cleats on and go jogging on others backs waving your banner.   The best antidote to free speech you consider hateful is... more free speech.   We're not a narrow and provincial little colony of Shakers,  we don't need to shun or ban or exile.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41813 on: July 08, 2020, 10:15:45 AM »

15 per cent of COVID-19 patients will end up in the hospital.

True or False?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41814 on: July 08, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »

There was a study out last week which primarily compared deaths this year to previous years and concluded that CV-19 deaths were 27% undercounted in the US. It's pretty easy to do 25% undercount math in your head, just add 1/4 more than whatever the official death count is.

heh

(pssst - yo......it's actually add 33%)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41815 on: July 08, 2020, 10:22:21 AM »

So surely the knowledge that their dear leader straight up cheated to get into fancy schools (and repeatedly uses the fact that he got into those schools as proof of his own brilliance) will be a shocking revelation that they will find hard to square with their heart-felt and sincere beliefs that admission to our country's universities remain entirely merit based, right?

Right?  Kiidcarter8?

Nothing would shock me re:  Trump

Your use of the word KNOWLEDGE above is a bit sketchy.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41816 on: July 08, 2020, 10:24:49 AM »

More than three months later, the coronavirus is blamed for 5,420 deaths in Sweden, according to the World Health Organization. That might not sound especially horrendous compared with the more than 129,000 Americans who have died. But Sweden is a country of only 10 million people. Per million people, Sweden has suffered 40 percent more deaths than the United States, 12 times more than Norway, seven times more than Finland and six times more than Denmark

What are the Sweden numbers by age - cases/deaths?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:27:27 AM by kiidcarter8 »

barton

« Reply #41817 on: July 08, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »

Some people believe China has fiddled the books with numbers.
"Some people believe" is a shitty metric for whether a statement should be taken seriously. Something your number 2 number 1 radio host proves routinely. As do you. But then,.and.i have not said this enough lately, you are a RACIST IDIOT.

"Some people believe" is right out of Trump's toolbox.  How many preposterous conspiracy theories or personal slanders has he launched with phrases like that?   

I'm not saying it's like this... but people are saying... some people believe...you're hearing this a lot from many people.... 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41818 on: July 08, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »

Found some Sweden stats

80% of the cases of COVID-19 in Sweden are people under age 70

Just 11% of the deaths.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #41819 on: July 08, 2020, 10:34:32 AM »

The plan was to get unemployment back around 10%, and bank on the constant drumbeat of death in the news to inoculate people to what was/is a totally avoidable horror.  What went unsaid was, well, those people are old anyway.  Just 0.0004% of the population.

Just to be clear, when I said this went "unsaid" I meant by our politicians.

Of course kiidcarter8 will come right out and say it.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 2786 2787 [2788] 2789 2790 ... 4288