Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1274 1275 [1276] 1277 1278 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1659535 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #19125 on: August 21, 2019, 04:15:59 PM »

From the ACLU

Hi Tony –

The Trump administration just announced regulations to undermine the decades-old Flores agreement, which provides critical protections for detained immigrant children. The goal? To jail more children and families for longer. Congress must not fund this.

Right now, Congress is reviewing ICE's latest plan to take even more taxpayer money to further expand detention and enforcement. We've seen this before: last year, ICE took FEMA funds during hurricane season so it could detain more immigrants than ever before. Now, ICE is at it again.

Read more about how ICE is abusing immigrants with impunity with unprecedented levels of funding – and what Congress can do about it.
Under the Trump administration, Homeland Security and its sub-agencies, ICE and CBP, have been out of control due largely to their budgets – the largest ever – and the poisonous anti-immigrant rhetoric coming out of the White House every day.

The result? Inhumane detention. Continued family separation. Raids in neighborhoods and workplaces across the country. A laundry list of reasons ICE does NOT deserve more funding.

But the Constitution gives Congress "the power of the purse" – the ability to set the budgets of federal agencies. That means Congress must review ICE's latest plan to take funds from other agencies – and Congressional appropriators have until August 26 to reject ICE's transfer.

Get the full rundown of how Congress can exercise checks and balances to stop ICE's brazen funding grab in its tracks.

With children still in cages, cruel immigration raids across the country, and squalid conditions in detention sites – it's clear that ICE does not deserve this budget hike.

Thanks for taking action,

Madhuri Grewal
ACLU Federal Immigration Policy Counsel

------------

The people of Mississippi need to rise and fight against the abuse of our immigrants in Mississippi.

We need for our Statue of Liberty to represent what we are all about, not a wall.

We need our ACLU now more than ever. And I also support our NRA. I support all of our human rights.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #19126 on: August 21, 2019, 04:22:23 PM »

Actually, how hard would it take to get Greenland the old-fashioned way?

Harry Truman must have asked that same question.   Of course, back then we thought of many European nations as allies.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #19127 on: August 21, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »

"I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops! Uh, depending on the breaks."---General Buck Turgidson
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #19128 on: August 21, 2019, 04:57:12 PM »

Depending on my position on the board I liked rolling 3 dies from Eastern US/Eastern Canada into Greenland, and then fortifying the border by going into Iceland and moving the surviving troops there, setting up an invasion of Europe.

oilcan

« Reply #19129 on: August 21, 2019, 05:01:52 PM »

That movie is flat out a masterpiece.   Never goes past its freshness date.  DT would absolutely appoint Gen. Turgidson.

Some of you have been concerned about plastic pollution....this is for you:

https://www.bustle.com/p/the-5-best-biodegradable-dog-poop-bags-9912305

Works for cats, too, I would guess.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19130 on: August 21, 2019, 05:43:21 PM »

McAleenan added that there are three family residential centers with what he described as "campus-like settings" with medical, educational and private housing facilities. The acting secretary said that detained families will have access to indoor and outdoor entertainment, legal counsel, translation services and medical care -- including any immunizations their children might need for later admission to US public schools.

doesnt sound so bad
Go live there.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19131 on: August 21, 2019, 05:46:06 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/21/trump-administration-proposes-indefinite-detention-migrant-children/2068163001/?fbclid=IwAR3INXsdigLMYdSd8I1-JLDubDM6q81wkgwFEEnUdciWEBmWK7cI_oSaBk8

Let's stop all pretense that the US government in its current formation has a shred of moral integrity.

Only way to stop anchor baby onslaught and chain migration? Would still be preferable to be held in US, to morbid conditions in Central American countries to many prospective migrants. Many legal questions. Moral integrity means defending the laws?

---Bernie Sanders releases plan to double union membership as Democrats fight for labor support---

At least a dem candidate remembers that there is more in the world than cheap nannies and air pollution. HRC forgot the blue collar guy and lost.

There is no "anchor baby onslaught," even when you use slurs.

"Moral integrity means defending the laws?"

So, you're one of the people who thinks Dred Scott was a moral decision? That locking up a man for 20 years for possession of pot (without intention to sell being asserted) is moral because it was "defending the laws?"

Your moral compass is broken. Badly broken.

Yes better laws than mangods.
"I am the chosen one."

Donald J Trump, 8/21/19
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #19132 on: August 21, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/08/17/southern-poverty-law-center-hate-groups-scam-column/2022301001/

I wrote and edited for the Family Research Council, a public advocacy organization that promoted the principles I have cared about since childhood: protecting the family, promoting the dignity of every human life and advocating for religious liberty. It reads like a tagline, but it’s also just what I believed and the way I chose to match my career with my convictions....

The Southern Poverty Law Center labeled us a 'hate group'...

It has always been easier to smear people rather than wrestle with their ideas. It’s a bully who calls names and spreads lies rather than thoroughly reading a brief’s legal arguments or challenging the rationale underlying a policy proposal. The SPLC has chosen to take the easy path — to intimidate and mislead for raw political power and financial benefit. ...

Bigots come in disguise, often.

Some context, besides this column, may be useful:

The SPLC did not arrive at the hate group designation lightly.  In their report of their investigation of the FRC, they cited a 1999 publication by FRC, Homosexual Activists Work to Normalize Sex With Boys, which stated: "one of the primary goals of the homosexual rights movement is to abolish all age of consent laws and to eventually recognize pedophiles as the 'prophets' of a new sexual order."

This is the group the column author belongs to, and the anti-gay message she endorses in her "promoting the dignity" of all human life.  Hmm.   So linking gay men to pedophilia is not meant to fan the flames of homophobic hatred?   Just nice god-fearin' folk minding their own business? 

The SPLC was correct in its listing of FRC.  That doesn't mean they supported a violent attack on the FRC (in fact, they condemned it), nor does it mean they were saying all hate groups are precisely equivalent to neo-Nazis. 

It's this column you quoted, Ham, that's the real smear tactic.

It's her religious beliefs that were put on trial, Apparently, you ignored the other references she provided that clarify the SPLC's positions, positions she believes put her in harm's way. Words have consequences, as some like to say.

If Trump's words inspire violence, certainly making lists of hate groups can have the same outcome. I defend neither Trump nor SPLC, but do try to be at least ad open minded as you wish others to be.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #19133 on: August 21, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »

Btw, amazing how silent Barton and others of his ilk are on the posting of the black anti-Latino anti-Semite earlier today.

Truth wrecks the narrative, I guess.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19134 on: August 21, 2019, 06:24:24 PM »

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

Barack Obama- February 2008

Obama led the democrats to complete control of The Federal Government and in the course of governing lost both Houses of Congress and 900 democrat seats in 50 states.

I don’t think that was the “ change” he was seeking.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #19135 on: August 21, 2019, 06:33:34 PM »

Trump's losing the Asian American voters:https://chicago.suntimes.com/2019/8/21/20827272/donald-trump-fake-asian-accent

GOP futures are down.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19136 on: August 21, 2019, 06:36:32 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/21/trump-administration-proposes-indefinite-detention-migrant-children/2068163001/?fbclid=IwAR3INXsdigLMYdSd8I1-JLDubDM6q81wkgwFEEnUdciWEBmWK7cI_oSaBk8

Let's stop all pretense that the US government in its current formation has a shred of moral integrity.

Only way to stop anchor baby onslaught and chain migration? Would still be preferable to be held in US, to morbid conditions in Central American countries to many prospective migrants. Many legal questions. Moral integrity means defending the laws?

---Bernie Sanders releases plan to double union membership as Democrats fight for labor support---

At least a dem candidate remembers that there is more in the world than cheap nannies and air pollution. HRC forgot the blue collar guy and lost.

There is no "anchor baby onslaught," even when you use slurs.

"Moral integrity means defending the laws?"

So, you're one of the people who thinks Dred Scott was a moral decision? That locking up a man for 20 years for possession of pot (without intention to sell being asserted) is moral because it was "defending the laws?"

Your moral compass is broken. Badly broken.

Yes better laws than mangods. Without laws you have chaos and Ayatollahs. Laws are changing with the times being anti-Trump should not mean being a US loather. He is right on a few things. To me immigration and helping the Vets. Not so good on the economy, social services, and decorum.

Morals don't require mangods, Luee - if you need a religion to tell you what to do, you aren't moral, just obedient. Sort of like following the law when the law is wrong.

And if you think the way we have treated the migrant and/or asylum seeking children is either moral or legal, you are deeply confused on the latter and broken on the former. It is neither legal nor moral. (The SCOTUS Dred Scott ruling was legal, but it was still not moral. Do you disagee vis-a-vis Dred Scott?

Being anti-Trump means more often than not loving the US, not loathing it. His treatment of immigrants is imbalanced, which you continue to refuse to acknowledge, tilted against Hispanics. And his help for the vets is uneven, at best, with plenty of them threatened by and harmed by other decisions, which makes him not so much "right" on vets as "less bad than on other things." If you want to categorize that as good, nobody is going to stop you, but you will still be in error.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19137 on: August 21, 2019, 06:38:15 PM »

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

Speech writer

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19138 on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:51 PM »

Depending on my position on the board I liked rolling 3 dies from Eastern US/Eastern Canada into Greenland, and then fortifying the border by going into Iceland and moving the surviving troops there, setting up an invasion of Europe.

risky!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19139 on: August 21, 2019, 06:42:03 PM »

Speech writer

"I am the chosen one."

Donald Trump, himself.
Pages: 1 ... 1274 1275 [1276] 1277 1278 ... 4288