Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Television  (Read 22496 times)

Holly Martins

Re: Television
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2021, 10:54:58 AM »

Sorta wish the Elba database hadn't gotten erased three years ago.   After eleven years, I decided to "go back to the island" and those old "Lost" chats we had here,  2007-2010, would be interesting to pay through.  I'm fifteen episodes into the first season,  and absorbing different things,  being reamazed at the layers of meaning and plot complexities that are starting to get assembled.   Happily,  Therese Odell's blogs, from the Houston Chronicle, are still extant and I've been enjoying her wit,  humor,  perception and willingness to dig deep into the unconscious of Lost.   

Edited to remove: bad link
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 08:29:25 PM by Barton3.0 »

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »

I often enjoyed Sawyer's wisecracks,  nicknames,  and general crankiness.   A favorite moment is at the start of season three,  when he and Kate (steaming epicenter of a Cool Hand Luke moment shortly after) are in bear cages and Sawyer is boasting how he figured out how to get the automatic feeder to dispense fish cakes.   His captor faux congratulates him then says "it only took the bears a couple hours. "  To which Sawyer replies,  rather crestfallen,  "Yes,  but how many bears were there?" 

Great series, esp the first three seasons.
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/11/23/the-west-wing-castmember-who-quit-acting-and-went-into-politics/

This is pretty great.   Carole,  CJs righthand woman,  left the WW and went to real politics.   
Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2021, 12:18:45 AM »

https://www.washingtonian.com/2020/11/23/the-west-wing-castmember-who-quit-acting-and-went-into-politics/

This is pretty great.   Carole,  CJs righthand woman,  left the WW and went to real politics.

The characters didn't always agree on how to do things, but the 'why' was always the same: to make things better for all people. People go back to it because they are yearning for hope.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 06:40:19 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2021, 06:40:41 PM »

?

Fixed. I liked that quote from the story.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2021, 02:41:26 PM »

Joe Mantegna and Francis Ford Coppola were on KCET public television last night promoting shows about Italy, it was very cool, I love Italy. Hopefully KCET shows many shows about Italy.

If I could have gotten a job in Rome when I was there in 2003 then I was going to stay in Rome.

Here is the Google Street Map of the street where I lived for six weeks in Rome, Italy, I lived on Via Urbana...

http://tinyurl.com/Via-Urbana-Rome-Italy

I lived right across the street from the Saint Louis College of Music.

It was cool.

It would be cool to live in Italy, and make films at Cinecitta, and have a night club in Rome.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2021, 04:05:04 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Holly Martins

« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2021, 08:49:24 PM »

I often enjoyed Sawyer's wisecracks,  nicknames,  and general crankiness.   A favorite moment is at the start of season three,  when he and Kate (steaming epicenter of a Cool Hand Luke moment shortly after) are in bear cages and Sawyer is boasting how he figured out how to get the automatic feeder to dispense fish cakes.   His captor faux congratulates him then says "it only took the bears a couple hours. "  To which Sawyer replies,  rather crestfallen,  "Yes,  but how many bears were there?" 

Great series, esp the first three seasons.

I recently was able to rewatch the later seasons, and was surprised at how much more I liked them, navigated the temporal shifts, and more fully grasped the Sideways World in season six.   I found it easier to handle the mystery of the Island, as a sort of big cork on a vast evil, and was a little more in tune with how moral and emotional layers were peeled off characters.  And our sense of where Purgatory is located is properly shifted from the island to LA.  I really wish Cuse and Lindelof had had another shorty season in which we could really see some of the Sideways characters work their shit out a little bit more before going into the church and its glowy portal.   And maybe have some glimpses at the island after Jack dies in the bamboo grove, and Lapidus & co. fly off to Guam or wherever.   The Island Slash Cork is now in Hugo's capable hands, and it would have been worthwhile to see how he got along and kept his Number Two in line. 

Maybe a reboot with a grown-up Aaron and Walt? 

Holly Martins

« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2021, 04:17:26 PM »

RIP Grande Dame of TV comedy, Betty White.   Eighteen days short of her one hundredth birthday. 

I thought she was eternal.  Still not quite convinced this isn't some Abe Vigoda-ish hoax. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #159 on: January 03, 2022, 09:39:12 AM »

Bot cleanup in aisle four!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »

When I lived in Malibu I was a limousine driver for Gemstar and we were the official limousine service for the Jay Leno show. At the time they were going to create a new late show to run at night after Jay, and I told them that I would love to do it. But, it never happened, and the show never happened. I would have been great for a late night talk show, or for a show on MTV.

Here is a video that I shot here in my apartment of me interviewing my friend Jon for You Tube. Jon played guitar for The Red Hot Chili Peppers, and for Suicidal Tendencies, and for other bands, including Nasty Habits.

https://youtu.be/47YL7vd0pKQ

Salute,

Tony V.

Holly Martins

« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2022, 12:32:39 AM »

Your Honor, the first season, is an absorbing drama, with a failing moral compass that shares some features (as well as its lead role) with Breaking Bad.  A notable performance from Michael Stulbarg who plays a very serious man and New Orleans crime boss, whose younger son is killed in a hit and run accident.  A district court judge (Bryan Cranston) carefully buries the truth and chaos and carnage ensue.  Derivative in places, but it holds the attention in a firm grip.   

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 21, 2022, 01:50:53 PM »

Local Jersey chick plays the hot young teacher
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2022, 06:45:49 PM »

She is lovely.  I thought Cranston was a little too Walter White.  Everything that happens turns the dial way past believable. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2022, 08:31:51 PM »

First episode of Archive 81 is a compelling horror/noir in the Mysterious Old New York Building subgenre.  (Though the Stay-Puf Marshmallow man is absent)

I note that the lead is played by Mauritanian-American actor whose father was a refugee offered political asylum in the US. 

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17