Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 261840 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2640 on: September 29, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »

Notes from week 5

Toledo came from behind 7 points in the 4th quarter to win by 7 for the first time since 1971. (The third year of a 35 game winning streak- still second behind Oklahoma) The Rockets beat BYU (who beat USC) 28-21.

Since 2015, Rutgers has been outscored 204-37 in four games against Michigan. (52-0 yesterday)

Penn State has outscored Maryland 163-6 over the last three years.

The PAC 12’s playoff hopes took another hit. Cal’s loss left the league with no undefeated teams in September since the league expanded to 12 in 2011

Oklahoma and Notre Dame each recorded their 900th all-time victory, tying Nebraska for 6th place.( Michigan and Ohio State are 1-2)

Ryan Day was asked “ how good are the Buckeyes(5-0 after demolishing Nebraska)?  “ As Woody always said, if anybody calls you good kick ‘em in the Shins”!

Rick Leach, describing his Washington State team after its second loss (38-13 to Utah yesterday)
“ We're a very soft team,
We get a lot of good press. We like to read it a lot. We like to pat ourselves on the back, and if we get any resistance, we fold."
Rick Leach?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2641 on: September 29, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

Chris Ash rides the tumbril. Maybe Archie Leach will replace him.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: September 29, 2019, 03:36:13 PM »

Notes from week 5

Toledo came from behind 7 points in the 4th quarter to win by 7 for the first time since 1971. (The third year of a 35 game winning streak- still second behind Oklahoma) The Rockets beat BYU (who beat USC) 28-21.

Since 2015, Rutgers has been outscored 204-37 in four games against Michigan. (52-0 yesterday)

The PAC 12’s playoff hopes took another hit. Cal’s loss left the league with no undefeated teams in September since the league expanded to 12 in 2011

Oklahoma and Notre Dame each recorded their 900th all-time victory, tying Nebraska for 6th place.( Michigan and Ohio State are 1-2)

Ryan Day was asked “ how good are the Buckeyes(5-0 after demolishing Nebraska)?  “ As Woody always said, if anybody calls you good kick ‘em in the Shins”!

Rick Leach, describing his Washington State team after its second loss (38-13 to Utah yesterday)
We get a lot of good press. We like to read it a lot. We like to pat ourselves on the back, and if we get any resistance, we fold."
Rick Leach?
Mike Leach.  Bad editing on my part.
 But as to Rick.  Bo called him the greatest player he ever coached. A four year starter, three  Big Ten championships, 3 Rose Bowls, 3-1 against Woody’s  Buckeyes. The best of the modern day UM quarterbacks.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: September 29, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »

Are we sure ESPN is Red? He just admitted a mistake.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: September 29, 2019, 06:09:07 PM »

Notes from week 5

Rick Leach?
Mike Leach.  Bad editing on my part.
 But as to Rick.  Bo called him the greatest player he ever coached. A four year starter, three  Big Ten championships, 3 Rose Bowls, 3-1 against Woody’s  Buckeyes. The best of the modern day UM quarterbacks.
Also an excellent baseball player.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2645 on: September 29, 2019, 06:34:24 PM »

At best the second best football player on the 1983 Detroit Tigers.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: September 30, 2019, 06:49:11 AM »

gutsy call on Tobaacco Rd.

Yes it was. How many #1 votes does Clemson lose to Bama in the next coaches poll? Or the AP for that matter.

Or Georgia gaining some #1 votes too. As ND looks like they are going to polish off a previously undefeated Cavalier team enhancing the Bulldog's win over the Irish.

My guess is Clemson bleeds some voters. I'll guess Bama who had 6 AP votes and 2 Coaches votes ends up with 16 and 10 respectively. That may be a conservative guess.
I would not drop them, but then I favor body of work and try not to get caught up in a "how were they in their most recent game" mindset. What gives me more pause about yesterday - I missed long swaths of the game including the end - is that the year long trend of their offense just not clicking continues. On the other hand, in prior years ClemSIN lost that type of game; Pitt and Syracuse two or three years ago.

So my real question is, given Hurts and Burrows and Fields and Tua, has Jennifer Lawrence played himself out of Heisman contention?

I'd drop them. But just a little.

Lawrence hasn't shown his best stuff so far this year. But I think it's coming.

Some other notes.

Oklahoma's defense. Now I know most people don't think of Washington State as a defensive team. But point of fact the Cougars only gave up 23ppg last year. Their DC slides to Oklahoma in the offseason and the Sooners, whose non-existent defense gave up 32ppg last year, is now sporting an 18ppg defense so far. My my, how the 'Grinch' has stolen other team's offense this year. So far.

It's early and the cupcake factor is there sure. But everyone plays cupcakes early so I think the playing field is fairly level. So that being said, the top four teams in defensive PPG are from the Big Ten. And Michigan State isn't one of them. And Alabama isn't even in the Top 10.

Lastly, to play it safe I could say this after their next three games are in the books. But I'll say it now because I believe it to be true, I think this is the best OSU team on both sides of the rock that I've seen in the last 30+ years. Now, I think I'll puke.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:00:32 AM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: September 30, 2019, 06:54:20 AM »

Notes from week 5

Mike Leach, describing his Washington State team after its second loss (38-13 to Utah yesterday)

Maryland co-captains should've shaken hands instead of their public dis.

I need to stay away from Ryan Day.

Leach is old school. Most people these days don't like that sort of thing. Some would say their being offended by Leach is justified. Others think he's refreshing. Opinions vary.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: September 30, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »

Notes from week 5

Rick Leach?

There is no taking the Big 10 out of Skippy.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: September 30, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »

Notes from week 5

Mike Leach, describing his Washington State team after its second loss (38-13 to Utah yesterday)

Leach is old school. Most people these days don't like that sort of thing. Some would say their being offended by Leach is justified. Others think he's refreshing. Opinions vary.
I don't think Leach wins enough to be viewed as refreshingly old-school.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: September 30, 2019, 09:51:38 AM »

Notes from week 5

I don't think Leach wins enough to be viewed as refreshingly old-school.

Meaning? I mean, I didn't know you had to win 80% of your games to be old school. So you must mean something else that isn't registering with me. Sorry for my Monday morning dimness.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:02:26 AM by CaptainCargo »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:25 AM »

That he doesn't win enough games.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »

That he doesn't win enough games.

Does one have to win a set amount of games to be old school?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:23 AM »

I think one has to win a lot of games to get away with the crap that he's pulled over the years. 

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: September 30, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »

gutsy call on Tobaacco Rd.

Yes it was. How many #1 votes does Clemson lose to Bama in the next coaches poll? Or the AP for that matter.

Or Georgia gaining some #1 votes too. As ND looks like they are going to polish off a previously undefeated Cavalier team enhancing the Bulldog's win over the Irish.

My guess is Clemson bleeds some voters. I'll guess Bama who had 6 AP votes and 2 Coaches votes ends up with 16 and 10 respectively. That may be a conservative guess.
I would not drop them, but then I favor body of work and try not to get caught up in a "how were they in their most recent game" mindset. What gives me more pause about yesterday - I missed long swaths of the game including the end - is that the year long trend of their offense just not clicking continues. On the other hand, in prior years ClemSIN lost that type of game; Pitt and Syracuse two or three years ago.

So my real question is, given Hurts and Burrows and Fields and Tua, has Jennifer Lawrence played himself out of Heisman contention?

I'd drop them. But just a little.

Lawrence hasn't shown his best stuff so far this year. But I think it's coming.

Some other notes.

Oklahoma's defense. Now I know most people don't think of Washington State as a defensive team. But point of fact the Cougars only gave up 23ppg last year. Their DC slides to Oklahoma in the offseason and the Sooners, whose non-existent defense gave up 32ppg last year, is now sporting an 18ppg defense so far. My my, how the 'Grinch' has stolen other team's offense this year. So far.

It's early and the cupcake factor is there sure. But everyone plays cupcakes early so I think the playing field is fairly level. So that being said, the top four teams in defensive PPG are from the Big Ten. And Michigan State isn't one of them. And Alabama isn't even in the Top 10.

Lastly, to play it safe I could say this after their next three games are in the books. But I'll say it now because I believe it to be true, I think this is the best OSU team on both sides of the rock that I've seen in the last 30+ years. Now, I think I'll puke.
My assumption is Lawrence will shake out of it by the time it matters.

I don't thin Leach is old school. I think he is an asshole who will throw his players under the bus. Or lock them in a closet.

I assume the 31 IU put up on us took us out of the ppg.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 329