Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 261790 times)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2655 on: September 30, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »

I think one has to win a lot of games to get away with the crap that he's pulled over the years.

We'd just get in a needless argument if I pursue this.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: September 30, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »

gutsy call on Tobaacco Rd.

Yes it was. How many #1 votes does Clemson lose to Bama in the next coaches poll? Or the AP for that matter.

Or Georgia gaining some #1 votes too. As ND looks like they are going to polish off a previously undefeated Cavalier team enhancing the Bulldog's win over the Irish.

My guess is Clemson bleeds some voters. I'll guess Bama who had 6 AP votes and 2 Coaches votes ends up with 16 and 10 respectively. That may be a conservative guess.
I would not drop them, but then I favor body of work and try not to get caught up in a "how were they in their most recent game" mindset. What gives me more pause about yesterday - I missed long swaths of the game including the end - is that the year long trend of their offense just not clicking continues. On the other hand, in prior years ClemSIN lost that type of game; Pitt and Syracuse two or three years ago.

So my real question is, given Hurts and Burrows and Fields and Tua, has Jennifer Lawrence played himself out of Heisman contention?

I'd drop them. But just a little.

Lawrence hasn't shown his best stuff so far this year. But I think it's coming.

Some other notes.

Oklahoma's defense. Now I know most people don't think of Washington State as a defensive team. But point of fact the Cougars only gave up 23ppg last year. Their DC slides to Oklahoma in the offseason and the Sooners, whose non-existent defense gave up 32ppg last year, is now sporting an 18ppg defense so far. My my, how the 'Grinch' has stolen other team's offense this year. So far.

It's early and the cupcake factor is there sure. But everyone plays cupcakes early so I think the playing field is fairly level. So that being said, the top four teams in defensive PPG are from the Big Ten. And Michigan State isn't one of them. And Alabama isn't even in the Top 10.

Lastly, to play it safe I could say this after their next three games are in the books. But I'll say it now because I believe it to be true, I think this is the best OSU team on both sides of the rock that I've seen in the last 30+ years. Now, I think I'll puke.
My assumption is Lawrence will shake out of it by the time it matters.

I don't thin Leach is old school. I think he is an asshole who will throw his players under the bus. Or lock them in a closet.

I assume the 31 IU put up on us took us out of the ppg.

Agreed.

Nope.

Yep, but still Top 15. The Sparties have a very good defense IMO.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: September 30, 2019, 02:10:03 PM »

Michigan State 42, THE 3

(Consider the possibility that I have the final score the exact reverse of what I fear it will be. But damn the THE! Full speed ahead with reflexive optimism!) I think our offense turned the corner; we have moved the ball reasonably well for four weeks now – and unlike the ASU game, have gotten points for it.  Eventual 2019 Heisman Trophy Winner Brian Lewerke is developing rhythm and rapport with his receivers.  Our defense may have given up more points against IU than they should have, but it is not like they face an offensive powerhouse like IU every week!  (I am taking a mini vacation this weekend and will not see the game.  If I can avoid looking up the final score, and ignore any articles or comments about the game, the possibility that this prediction will be right and my beloved Spartans will win remains.  This is basically why I am a millionaire many times over playing the lottery: as long as you do not check the results, you are not a loser. In this context, call it Schrodinger’s Box Score.)

Methchicken 17, Iowa 13

Everyone blows out Rutgers.  You are supposed to blow out Rutgers.  I still have questions about Methchicken’s offense – only 3.4 per rush against Rutgers, with what should be a huge gap in line talent - but respect the defense, at least against an Iowa team that does not have a Taylor level talent on offense.

Auburn 31, Florida 14

The third of the three games matching ranked teams.  I have said this sort of thing before: the difference between Auburn and Florida is that Auburn has not lost, and Florida has not lost yet.  The lower half of God’s Conference are not what they used to be, but Auburn’s waxing of Old Missississippi State last week was pretty impressive.

Maryland 42, Rutgers 3

Speaking of the lower half of conferences…. We got this turkey a month and a half early. But then, I am not sure this is even the worst conference game out there; the Beavers take on the Bruins, Vandy plays Old Mississippi, and the South Atlantic League’s only non sucking team is not playing Saturday.  yankguy may have been on the nose about the Terps. On the other hand, everyone blows out Rutgers.  You are supposed to blow out Rutgers. I do not know why anyone with ambition would take that job.

Minnesota 27, Illinois 24

The Gophers are technically unbeaten.  The Illini technically lost to EMU.  Which is why, although the Gophers have not beaten anyone, including an FCS school, by more than 7, they get to be unbeaten for another week.

Oregon 31, University of California* 13

The PAWCP is not dead yet, playoff wise.  Oregon or Washington running the table still sets them up it either the Big Whatever or Pure Prairie League has a two loss champion. I suppose there is also the possibility that THE will have one of those horrific inexplicable losses, and Oregon’s loss to Auburn will seem “better”.  Anyway, I have seen Herbert play a couple of times now and remain unimpressed about his actual production.  Cal has a decent defense but does not really excel anywhere.

Washington 21, Stanford 13

Well, Stanford still strikes me as having a capable defense, even if its offense is perfectly capable of not scoring at any given time.

the Pennsylvania State University 35, the Purdue 14

Arguably Brohm should have cashed in his chips last year and left the table.  Two straight 6 and 6 regular seasons and two straight bowl games seems to be Purdue’s ceiling anymore.

Oklahoma 52, Kansas 10

Hey!  Kansas has two wins! They should be pretty satisfied with that.  As for Oklahoma, has any team had three consecutive Heisman Trophy winners with three different players all playing the same position?  Hurst is looking like the man to date.  Either Lincoln Riley is a pretty good coach for QBs, or his system is a pretty good system for QBs. Or both.

Georgia 41, Tennessee 10

I admit to a morbid fascination with the Jeremy Pruitt deathwatch.  Hey, Tennessee!  Better snap up Schiano before Rutgers gets to him!

Texas Christian University 31, Iowa State 13

ISU was kind of a sexy dark horse pick for the Pure Prairie League before they actually started to play the games.  They have been bad three of the four games – the good one was a romp against Louisiana Monroe.  TCU is solid.

Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 41, Bowling Alley 3

Can a one loss OLotPT make the playoffs without playing that extra championship game? I think that they would need at least two of the Power Five conferences to have a two loss champ, and probably either Alabama or Georgia to lose twice: I think the pecking order is roughly: Unbeatens, One loss Conference Champions, One loss SEC runner up, One loss Notre Dame - or THE or Oklahoma if their one loss is the Conference Championship game.  Which I speculate about because this game looks to be boring as hell.

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: September 30, 2019, 04:50:38 PM »

Have I mentioned lately that I think the transfer portal reminds me of another exit portal?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: September 30, 2019, 04:55:37 PM »

I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: September 30, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »

Bah Humbug.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: September 30, 2019, 04:59:44 PM »

Row slave, row!

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: September 30, 2019, 05:35:03 PM »

Michigan State 42, THE 3

(Consider the possibility that I have the final score the exact reverse of what I fear it will be. But damn the THE! Full speed ahead with reflexive optimism!) I think our offense turned the corner; we have moved the ball reasonably well for four weeks now – and unlike the ASU game, have gotten points for it.  Eventual 2019 Heisman Trophy Winner Brian Lewerke is developing rhythm and rapport with his receivers.  Our defense may have given up more points against IU than they should have, but it is not like they face an offensive powerhouse like IU every week! 
If MSU has a former quarterback turned beastly linebacker like North Carolina’s Chase Surratt,
who made Clemson’s Lawrence look pretty ordinary Saturday this game could be fun.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:38:07 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: September 30, 2019, 06:23:48 PM »

Michigan State 42, THE 3

(Consider the possibility that I have the final score the exact reverse of what I fear it will be. But damn the THE! Full speed ahead with reflexive optimism!) I think our offense turned the corner; we have moved the ball reasonably well for four weeks now – and unlike the ASU game, have gotten points for it.  Eventual 2019 Heisman Trophy Winner Brian Lewerke is developing rhythm and rapport with his receivers.  Our defense may have given up more points against IU than they should have, but it is not like they face an offensive powerhouse like IU every week! 
If MSU has a former quarterback turned beastly linebacker like North Carolina’s Chase Surratt,
who made Clemson’s Lawrence look pretty ordinary Saturday this game could be fun.
Well, we have Bachie.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: September 30, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »

Row slave, row!

Pamper entitled brats, pamper.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: October 01, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »

Four glaring reasons to ignore College Football Recruiting Class Rankings:
4. Carson Wentz
3. Josh Allen
2. Baker Mayfield
1. Daniel Jones

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: October 01, 2019, 01:42:21 PM »

Four glaring reasons to ignore College Football Recruiting Class Rankings:
4. Carson Wentz
3. Josh Allen
2. Baker Mayfield
1. Daniel Jones

That's more of an individual ranking than a class ranking.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: October 01, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »

"I really don't have a thought on [Chase Young] from a human standpoint."

My favorite MSU coach quote since Johnelle Smith.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: October 01, 2019, 07:58:19 PM »

SEC Guru Paul Finebaum on Clemson being overrated.

https://es.pn/2ni7HHL
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:02:08 PM by Espnthree »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 329