Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 261677 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1200 on: November 25, 2018, 03:26:50 PM »

Defense wins what?

The statistical leader in defense, Michigan, gave up 62 points to Ohio State and lost a chance to make the College Football Playoff. OSU quarterback Dwayne Haskins broke the Big Ten records for single-season passing yards and single-season touchdown passes in the game.

Oklahoma is 5-0 since 2015 when its defense allows at least 600 yards.

Alabama is the second team in college football history to outscore its first 12 opponents by at least 20 points (Yale, 1888)

Clemson’s 744 yards in a 56-35 win vs. South Carolina were the most ever allowed by the Gamecocks.

UCF has won 24 consecutive games and scored at least 30 points in all 24 games, both leading the nation.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 26, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »

Defense wins what?

The statistical leader in defense, Michigan, gave up 62 points to Ohio State and lost a chance to make the College Football Playoff. OSU quarterback Dwayne Haskins broke the Big Ten records for single-season passing yards and single-season touchdown passes in the game.

Alabama is the second team in college football history to outscore its first 12 opponents by at least 20 points (Yale, 1888)

Clemson’s 744 yards in a 56-35 win vs. South Carolina were the most ever allowed by the Gamecocks.

UCF has won 24 consecutive games and scored at least 30 points in all 24 games, both leading the nation.

Anomalies happen. It's a long season. Especially in this day and age where myriad rule changes has basically hamstrung the defense. It's a passing game now and the defense isn't allowed to touch the offensive player, so yardage was bound to go up and it has. Anyone with half a brain can deduce that. Which explains the simpleminded logic of your post in regards to the Wolverine defense.

The plain fact is that Bama and Clemson average 14 points per game given up defensively. Georgia 17 and ND 17. Those are the facts.

OSU will probably get in because they will be the Big Ten 'Champion'. If so they will probably play Alabama, or Clemson, possibly Georgia. Either way, I can't even begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to that. Oklahoma would probably give Bama, Georgia or Clemson a better game than the Buckeyes, but that is arguable I suppose. Their offense is more explosive on a consistent basis than OSU's. If the Committee has any smarts they'll figure that out. Just remember the Oklahoma/Georgia game of last year.

IMO Michigan was undisciplined and over-pursued defensively on Saturday bit on way too many misdirection type of offensive stunts and tricks, I saw it time and time again. Hesitation, backtracking and just plain overrunning, that shit will kill you defensively. The Buckeye OC had a plan to take advantage of that sort of hyped up defensive frenzy and it worked to perfection. An undisciplined defense will get itself in loads of trouble.

Motivation and emotion has a lot to do with things and can slant things in odd ways, both good and unfortunately also bad. I knew OSU was going to whup Michigan. And I said as much.

I also knew that Georgia was going to crush Ga Tech. Motivation. Tech had 7 points through to the end of the 3rd qtr. Tech is a one trick pony offensively.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:03:37 PM by CaptainCargo »
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 26, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »

So... Georgia, Oklahoma, Ohio State,.UFC for 4 - 7?

Harbaugh, is 0 - 9 against Top 10 teams. Lifetime contract!

I think you've nailed it.

Several different permutations of how the overall Bowl season will work out. Several possible Big10/SEC matchups could happen. Looking forward to how that all shakes out. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:06:53 AM by CaptainCargo »

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 26, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »

So I’m not permutations guy and every possible scenario number-muncher, but am I way off base when I say it’s kind of like that dumb Hollywood movie from a few years ago, I.e., who can step forward and proclaim:

“I am Number Four”??

MICH seemed like a lock until they got smoked by tosu.

So, are we down to tosu, OKLA, Ugga and ALA, or some wildcard that I’m missing??

That said, I look forward to smoking Le Dome and playing the little red corvette match vs. ALA.

(Okay, so to “rubber match” becomes the used rubber match, Trojans, some of them used, etc.)

I am trying to expand too clever by 1/2 ad absurdism or whatever.

Note:  On coffee and Metamucil right now trying to eliminate the holidays...(cough)...

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 26, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »

Defense wins what?

Anomalies happen. It's a long season. Especially in this day and age where myriad rule changes has basically hamstrung the defense. It's a passing game now and the defense isn't allowed to touch the offensive player, so yardage was bound to go up and it has. Anyone with half a brain can deduce that. Which explains the simpleminded logic of your post in regards to the Wolverine defense.
Anomalies? Rule changes?
That makes no sense.

The plain fact is that Bama and Clemson average 14 points per game given up defensively. Georgia 17 and ND 17. Those are the facts.
Proving what?
Oklahoma, Alabama, and Clemson score an average of 45-50 points a game, Ohio State 43, and Georgia 40.  The only playoff- contention team lower is Notre Dame at 33.

OSU will probably get in because they will be the Big Ten 'Champion'.
Assuming Alabama wins the SEC, and the Sooners have a hiccup in the Big12 Championship.
If so they will probably play Alabama, or Clemson, possibly Georgia. Either way, I can't even begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to that.
So would tons of fans everywhere, especially if it is Alabama.

IMO Michigan was undisciplined and over-pursued defensively on Saturday bit on way too many misdirection type of offensive stunts and tricks, I saw it time and time again. Hesitation, backtracking and just plain overrunning, that shit will kill you defensively. The Buckeye OC had a plan to take advantage of that sort of hyped up defensive frenzy and it worked to perfection. An undisciplined defense will get itself in loads of trouble.
You must have been watching some other game.  tOSU simply took advantage of its superior speed, especially with freshman receiver Chris Olave( starting his first game) getting open for the first two touchdowns ( and blocking a punt which resulted in the decisive score of the game in the third quarter).The fact is Michigan had never played against such an explosive offense all year.  Dwayne Haskins stood behind an impenetrable O-Line and picked apart Michiga’s man-to-man pass defense which couldn’t keep up with speedy receivers running crossing patterns.
Haskins is now in the Heisman talk.  Overpursuing? Offensive tricks?  Paris Campbell runs a basic power sweep and lopes for 78 yards and the backbreaking score of the game. Basic stuff.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 26, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »

For the seasons 1972-1974 Michigan went 30-2-1.  And didn't go to a bowl.  All three non-wins were against Ohio State.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 26, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

So I’m not permutations guy and every possible scenario number-muncher, but am I way off base when I say it’s kind of like that dumb Hollywood movie from a few years ago, I.e., who can step forward and proclaim:

“I am Number Four”??

MICH seemed like a lock until they got smoked by tosu.

So, are we down to tosu, OKLA, Ugga and ALA, or some wildcard that I’m missing??

That said, I look forward to smoking Le Dome and playing the little red corvette match vs. ALA.

(Okay, so to “rubber match” becomes the used rubber match, Trojans, some of them used, etc.)

I am trying to expand too clever by 1/2 ad absurdism or whatever.

Note:  On coffee and Metamucil right now trying to eliminate the holidays...(cough)...

LOL good stuff.

And to plagiarize somewhat, don´t underestimate the Irish. They've got a tremendous right and a jaw of granite.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: November 26, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »

Defense wins what?

Anomalies? Rule changes?
That makes no sense.

Proving what?
Oklahoma, Alabama, and Clemson score an average of 45-50 points a game, Ohio State 43, and Georgia 40.  The only playoff- contention team lower is Notre Dame at 33.

OSU will probably get in because they will be the Big Ten 'Champion'.
Assuming Alabama wins the SEC, and the Sooners have a hiccup in the Big12 Championship.
If so they will probably play Alabama, or Clemson, possibly Georgia. Either way, I can't even begin to tell you how much I am looking forward to that.
So would tons of fans everywhere, especially if it is Alabama.

You must have been watching some other game.  tOSU simply took advantage of its superior speed, especially with freshman receiver Chris Olave( starting his first game) getting open for the first two touchdowns ( and blocking a punt which resulted in the decisive score of the game in the third quarter).The fact is Michigan had never played against such an explosive offense all year.  Dwayne Haskins stood behind an impenetrable O-Line and picked apart Michiga’s man-to-man pass defense which couldn’t keep up with speedy receivers running crossing patterns.
Haskins is now in the Heisman talk.  Overpursuing? Offensive tricks?  Paris Campbell runs a basic power sweep and lopes for 78 yards and the backbreaking score of the game. Basic stuff.

Nothing makes sense to you. Which is friggin ironic as hell.

As to the Michigan game I've said for years you were a ball watcher and you keep confirming it to me.

Haskins has been in the Heisman talk all season where the frock have you been?

And I want OSU to play Alabama for one reason. Don't care what the other 'tons of fans' reason are. Unless it's my reason of course.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:55:44 PM by CaptainCargo »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: November 26, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »

For the seasons 1972-1974 Michigan went 30-2-1.  And didn't go to a bowl.  All three non-wins were against Ohio State.
By scores of 11-14, 10-10, and 10-12.
Mike Lantry, a Vietnam Nam vet, missed critical Field Goals in each game. Even Woody felt sorry for him. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 26, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »

There were a lot of great players on those teams.  Several of whom died far too young. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 26, 2018, 04:53:07 PM »

Paris Campbell runs a basic power sweep and lopes for 78 yards and the backbreaking score of the game. Basic stuff.
Yep! And once he broke through that first wave he looked like a sports car accelerating away from everyone. Speed kills, and it sure as heck was a major factor in killing the Wolverettes.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: November 26, 2018, 06:23:56 PM »

Paris Campbell runs a basic power sweep and lopes for 78 yards and the backbreaking score of the game. Basic stuff.
Yep! And once he broke through that first wave he looked like a sports car accelerating away from everyone. Speed kills, and it sure as heck was a major factor in killing the Wolverettes.
Reminded me of Ezekiel Elliott running through Alabama.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: November 26, 2018, 08:55:07 PM »

Yeah that last pass interference call was bogus. Wolverines not playing their best defense today though.

All true but I was referring to WVA getting screwed, twice.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 26, 2018, 09:13:19 PM »

Yeah that last pass interference call was bogus. Wolverines not playing their best defense today though.

All true but I was referring to WVA getting screwed, twice.

Okay, my bad.

Truthfully I didn't watch too much of that game. Not that it wasn't something good to watch. Just too much going on at the same time.One of the games had to suffer.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 26, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »

Reminded me of Ezekiel Elliott running through Alabama.

Well, I can't begrudge Buckeyes fans of their lone victory over the Tide. Even if it was by all of 7 points. Seing as you like memories remember that 1978 game?

I remember watching that game. I think the margin of victory was a bit more than 7 points though wasn't it? :-)

But in case you've wiped that memory from your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxttNAg9wo

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:52:13 PM by CaptainCargo »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 329