Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 261777 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1245 on: November 28, 2018, 02:50:16 PM »

OLD-MAN WOODY
Seen as camera was panning around The Horseshoe during the Michigan game…..the names on the facing of the second deck—a kind of a ring of fame, as it were….There was the name Woody Hayes….it listed x-number of Big 10 titles (I forget how many) and five national titles…..Tends to kind of refocus Hayes legacy, does it not? You know, refocuses past the crazy old man running down the sidelines trying to punch a 250 pound Clemson linebacker who was fully outfitted in uniform (including helmet) and instead reminds one as to what is really important. Five national titles. Dabo—coach of the nuevo-elite, still working on number two. Currently only four national titles behind Woody.

Hayes was a helluva football coach.
Hard to believe he had his name sullied and career ruined because some young punk deliberately ran into Hayes's hand.

Spoke to an old friend of mine, a fan of Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie, and somehow the conversation turned to 1966. He started.to argue the canard that OLofPT did not play for a tie, when I reminded him, "Surely if these last two years have taught us anything, it is that shared objective reality no longer matters."
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: November 28, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »

I remember that Lou Holtz coached Razorback team. Helluva football team too.
I used to have a book about OSU (lost it somewhere along the way). Showed a picture of the coaching staff of their 1968 team—one of the all-time great college football teams. As I remember, Lou was one of the assistant coaches (among a staff of future great coaches) for that team. Little wonder with that coaching staff why they were so great. One of the best parts of that season? Beating future murderer O.J. Simpson in the Rose Bowl.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: November 28, 2018, 03:24:49 PM »

Hard to believe he had his name sullied and career ruined because some young punk deliberately ran into Hayes's hand.
That incident was just the crowning moment of the final scene in Hayes career. Here was mighty Ohio State playing some unknown southern team (Clemson) on a cold, damp night in a third rate bowl game (Liberty Bowl if I recall correctly)….not the Rose Bowl, not the Orange Bowl, not the Sugar Bowl….but the Liberty Bowl….and losing to boot. I believe Woody just snapped over the all too obvious decline of the OSU program with him at the helm. For several years he had been taking teams with superior athletes to the Rose Bowl and losing to teams with more up to date systems. Now this sad ending in Memphis.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:42:21 PM by Driver125 »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: November 28, 2018, 03:30:42 PM »

Twenty years ago this weekend marked the start of the BCS era, the creation of the SEC’s Roy Kramer to avoid split national champs by staging a final game matching the number one and two teams.

The final weekend of play nearly resulted in complete chaos. 
The final four going in were
Tennessee(11-0)
UCLA (11-0)
Kansas State(11-0)
Florida State(10-1)

But the new BCS Rating system was confusing to most and when Computer wizard Jeff Sagarin crunched his numbers he opined that if three top teams stayed undefeated Tennessee would drop to THIRD!

First up was UCLA, riding a 20 game win streak, and  a hurricane-postponned game in Miami.  A Bruin win meant a trip to the Fiesta Bowl for the NC for sure. But UCLA blew a 4th quarter lead
and Miami won the game 33-30.

When that score was announced at the Big 8 championship Game Kansas State fans were delirious since they were ahead of Texas A and M 17-3 in the second quarter. But K-State ultimately lost
in overtime when the Aggies, trying to set up field position for the tying field goal, saw K-State blow coverage and a simple slant pass when for the winning TD.

That left it to Tennessee to try and avoid total chaos in the standings.
The Vols did trail in the fourth quarter but pulled out a ten point win over Mississippi State in the SEC Championship.

So Florida State climbed to second and the Fiesta Bowl where Tennessee won the first BCS Title.
UCLA’s consolation was the Rose Bowl but it was smacked by Wisconsin.
Kansas State was the biggest post-season loser with the best Bowl available being the Alamo.
A deflated Wildcat team was upset by Drew Brees and un-ranked Purdue 37-34.
Which prompted a quick rule change by the NCAA called the K-State Rule. 
That rule, still in effect now, specifies that the third-ranked team from an AQ conference (or fourth ranked if No. 3 is an automatic qualifier) is assured of an invitation to a BCS game.

What would have happened had Near-Chaos been complete?
Well fifth ranked Ohio State was 10-1(its loss was to Michigan State and Nick Saban).
It went on to handle A and M in the Sugar Bowl.

The Final BCS rankings
Tennessee
Florida State
Kansas State
Ohio State
UCLA

The BCS put college football on a national stage it could never have achieved before and 20 years later is more popular than ever.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:35:00 PM by Espnthree »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: November 28, 2018, 03:42:34 PM »

The Big Whatever already did precisely what you want the to do. Divided the traditional powers into two divisions.

Once again not the way I suggest. Which you seem to be willfully ignoring. You're good at that even though you have to know you aren't getting it by me.

They had the wrong formula. Fucked it up a second time too. That's the point I'm making and you've said little to change my mind.

You disagree, I get it.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »

That incident was just the crowning moment of the final scene in Hayes career. Here was mighty Ohio State playing some unknown southern team (Clemson) on a cold, damp night in a third rate bowl game (Liberty Bowl if I recall correctly)….not the Rose Bowl, not the Orange Bowl, not the Sugar Bowl….but the Liberty Bowl….and losing to boot. I believe Woody just snapped over the all too obvious decline of the OSU program with him at the helm. For several years he had been taking teams with superior athletes to the Rose Bowl and losing to teams with more up to date systems. Now this sad ending in Memphis.

Yep, keep up with the game or it passes you by. Al Davis never got that.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: November 28, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »

The Big Whatever already did precisely what you want the to do. Divided the traditional powers into two divisions.

Once again not the way I suggest. Which you seem to be willfully ignoring. You're good at that even though you have to know you aren't getting it by me.

They had the wrong formula. Fucked it up a second time too. That's the point I'm making and you've said little to change my mind.

You disagree, I get it.
The only difference between what the Big Whatever did in 2010 and what you propose is they aligned to divisions based on the strengths of the programs in 2010. That there would be a different alignment 8 years later underscores.the foolishness of your approach. That you think think there is any real difference between Leaders and Legends and your lineup, other than snark, underscores the hermetically sealed and locked nature.of your mind.  That you will not change your mind when confronted with opposing facts is the sad reality anyone who ever posted with you has been forced to acknowledge.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: November 28, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »

You disagree, I get it.
The only difference between what the Big Whatever did in 2010 and what you propose is they aligned to divisions based on the strengths of the programs in 2010. That there would be a different alignment 8 years later underscores.the foolishness of your approach. That you think think there is any real difference between Leaders and Legends and your lineup, other than snark, underscores the hermetically sealed and locked nature.of your mind.  That you will not change your mind when confronted with opposing facts is the sad reality anyone who ever posted with you has been forced to acknowledge.

You haven't given me any opposing 'facts' sufficient to change my position. Don't blame me because you were incapable of mounting a good enough argument to do so. Lashing out is some sort of defense mechanism inherent in your basic mental makeup. Try as I might I've never figured out a way to wean you off from it. And that is really my only failure.

The real sad reality is simply that. Your juvenile bordering on imbecilic attempts to blame me for your incompetence is something I've had to put up with for years.

Couldn't just agree to disagree once again. Although I provided you with several opportunities. C'est la gare.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »

Yeah, ‘‘twas the night before...

Fuck Woody Hayes, a minor pleasure to retire him...

...and, thanks for mentioning, loose bolts...

(yawn)

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: November 28, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »

You disagree, I get it.

You haven't given me any opposing 'facts' sufficient to change my position. Don't blame me because you were incapable of mounting a good enough argument to do so. Lashing out is some sort of defense mechanism inherent in your basic mental makeup. Try as I might I've never figured out a way to wean you off from it. And that is really my only failure.

The real sad reality is simply that. Your juvenile bordering on imbecilic attempts to blame me for your incompetence is something I've had to put up with for years.

Couldn't just agree to disagree once again. Although I provided you with several opportunities. C'est la gare.
You have not identified a single substantive difference between Leaders and Legends and your cockamamie idea, except L and L switched MSU and PSU from your plan.  That is it.  Your way - dividing up the league by separating traditional powers - was precisely what the Big Whatever did. That the fourth team in that top 4 was not MSU but Nebraska points out the long term futility of your approach.  And as always the wronger you know you are the more aggressive and insulting you get.  You are like our very own Donald Trump.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: November 29, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »

You disagree, I get it.

You have not identified a single substantive difference between Leaders and Legends and your cockamamie idea, except L and L switched MSU and PSU from your plan.  That is it.  Your way - dividing up the league by separating traditional powers - was precisely what the Big Whatever did. That the fourth team in that top 4 was not MSU but Nebraska points out the long term futility of your approach.  And as always the wronger you know you are the more aggressive and insulting you get.  You are like our very own Donald Trump.

More blah blah blah from you. The 'substantive' difference is clearly there to see for someone that 'wants' to see it. You don't.

You would rather spend your every waking hour finding ways to disagree with anything I say. As I said it's something in your mental makeup. Because the simple truth is that nobody would disagree with someone as much as you do me. The odds would rule against that eventuality as a long shot of the ages. I'm not an obvious dolt like James so you clearly have a problem.

It borders on a fixation, not healthy lad. I've outlined the reason for that problem several times over the years here. You and I both know exactly what it is.

Give it a rest for a few days, you're efforts are getting more imbecilic than usual. Go see a show, take a walk in the desert, ice skate on the moon, examine the inside of your rectum for the umpteenth time. Then come back with something at least resembling intelligence. Resembling might be the best you can do, but it would be an improvement.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: November 29, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »

You disagree, I get it.

More blah blah blah from you. The 'substantive' difference is clearly there to see for someone that 'wants' to see it. You don't.
Enlighten me then. What is the substantive difference, other than yours is based on the facts on the ground today, where as the system put in place in 2010 was based on the facts 9n the ground in 2010. You have not explained it, I suspect because there is none and like Donald Trump you view not merely admitting error as weakness, but being open to competing arguments and evidence as weakness as well.

You would rather spend your every waking hour finding ways to disagree with anything I say. As I said it's something in your mental makeup. Because the simple truth is that nobody would disagree with someone as much as you do me. The odds would rule against that eventuality as a long shot of the ages. I'm not an obvious dolt like James so you clearly have a problem.
I dispute with you when you say something stupid, or when you go full Trump and go into insult mode rather than admit you're opinion might.have flaws. That this seems to happen a lot should tell you something about you.

I suspect the reason you like to insult James so much is that he has consistently shown he knows more about the off field aspects of college football than you do. You have strong knowledge of the game on the field but the minute you talk about anything else you ARE an obvious dolt. And get abusive and insulting as soon as that gets pointed out to you.

It borders on a fixation, not healthy lad. I've outlined the reason for that problem several times over the years here. You and I both know exactly what it is.

Give it a rest for a few days, you're efforts are getting more imbecilic than usual. Go see a show, take a walk in the desert, ice skate on the moon, examine the inside of your rectum for the umpteenth time. Then come back with something at least resembling intelligence. Resembling might be the best you can do, but it would be an improvement.
As always, the shakier your ground, the more insulting you get. You really are the forum Donald Trump. With less money and I suspect better hair.

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: November 29, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »

Fuck Woody Hayes, a minor pleasure to retire him...
Is that the same sort of pleasure you got when you were bragging about how Clemson hurt Braxton Miller and knocked him out of the game? Chump.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: November 29, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »

You disagree, I get it.

Enlighten me then. What is the substantive difference, other than yours is based on the facts on the ground today, where as the system put in place in 2010 was based on the facts 9n the ground in 2010. You have not explained it, I suspect because there is none and like Donald Trump you view not merely admitting error as weakness, but being open to competing arguments and evidence as weakness as well.

I dispute with you when you say something stupid, or when you go full Trump and go into insult mode rather than admit you're opinion might.have flaws. That this seems to happen a lot should tell you something about you.

I suspect the reason you like to insult James so much is that he has consistently shown he knows more about the off field aspects of college football than you do. You have strong knowledge of the game on the field but the minute you talk about anything else you ARE an obvious dolt. And get abusive and insulting as soon as that gets pointed out to you.

As always, the shakier your ground, the more insulting you get. You really are the forum Donald Trump. With less money and I suspect better hair.

Go back and see who threw the first insult. November 28, 2018, 04:52:24 PM You crossed the line right then, 'Foolish', 'hermetically sealed' brain. Those aren't words of, hey Dude what's up how's the family.

And, as always, they gotten nastier as you've gone. So for something you say I do, but it's just to mask what you are actually guilty of beginning time and time again. Unfortunately that I then give you better than you give seems to, as always, unhinge you. You insult first and then blame me for the escalation because you are incapable of just letting it drop. Don't like the results? Don't complain about it like a child. Stop doing it. That's the answer.

Now you are up to Donald Trump and soon 'I'll be skewering babies while in my cups'. All because you can't just let a simple disagreement of opinions drop. You're driving need to be always right when it comes to any differences of opinion between us and your unwillingness to just let it drop is the problem. As I said I gave several opportunities for you to just let it be. You're ultra competiveness when it comes to me is childish. 

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: November 29, 2018, 11:13:21 AM »

You disagree, I get it.

Go back and see who threw the first insult. November 28, 2018, 04:52:24 PM You crossed the line right then, 'Foolish', 'hermetically sealed' brain. Those aren't words of, hey Dude what's up how's the family.

And, as always, they gotten nastier as you've gone. So for something you say I do, but it's just to mask what you are actually guilty of beginning time and time again. Unfortunately that I then give you better than you give seems to, as always, unhinge you. You insult first and then blame me for the escalation because you are incapable of just letting it drop. Don't like the results? Don't complain about it like a child. Stop doing it. That's the answer.

Now you are up to Donald Trump and soon 'I'll be skewering babies while in my cups'. All because you can't just let a simple disagreement of opinions drop. You're driving need to be always right when it comes to any differences of opinion between us and your unwillingness to just let it drop is the problem. As I said I gave several opportunities for you to just let it be. You're ultra competiveness when it comes to me is childish.
Same as it ever was. Never change, cap. Sputtering incoherent rage looks.good on you.

And you still cannot identify a single substantive difference between your proposal and Leaders and Legends.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 329