Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 261826 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1335 on: December 02, 2018, 01:58:39 PM »

looks like Georgia got style points for yesterday's loss
5/6 is irrelevant. The Committee continues to punish that second loss. And take God's Conference at its own self image.

its irrelevant as to 1-4

I thought they would punish Ga's 2nd loss by putting them at 6.

But they saw what most watching that game saw, arguably a top 4 team that probably should have won that game, and put them ahead of tOSU.

so they gave them style points for yesterday's loss.

but they also put a 2-loss team ahead of a 1-loss Power-5 conf champ.

I'll leave it to CFB historians and others whether that shifts the landscape for future debates.
Not to get in the playoffs.

5/6 changes nothing. They would go to the same bowl regardless.

Like I said "style points"

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: December 02, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »

Oklahoma - ND final

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: December 02, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »

5/6 is irrelevant. The Committee continues to punish that second loss. And take God's Conference at its own self image.

its irrelevant as to 1-4

But they saw what most watching that game saw, arguably a top 4 team that probably should have won that game, and put them ahead of tOSU.

I'll leave it to CFB historians and others whether that shifts the landscape for future debates.

The battle for the fourth spot was explained by CFP Chairman Rob Mullens   to ESPN:

In the end, what we decided was amongst the group of three, Oklahoma, Georgia and (12-1) Ohio State, that no one was unequivocally better than the others. So we leaned on the protocol.
(That protocol  says that when teams are that close, certain factors should take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions.)

“In this instance, when one team wasn’t unequivocally better than the other, we went to the protocol, and on this one, the one-loss conference champion carried the day,”

The Conference Champion got rewarded just as the system has been designed to do.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 02:27:53 PM by Espnthree »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: December 02, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

The battle for the fourth spot was explained by CFP Chairman Rob Mullens   to ESPN:

In the end, what we decided was amongst the group of three, Oklahoma, Georgia and (12-1) Ohio State, that no one was unequivocally better than the others. So we leaned on the protocol.
(That protocol  says that when teams are that close, certain factors should take precedence, the most notable of those being “conference champions.)

“In this instance, when one team wasn’t unequivocally better than the other, we went to the protocol, and on this one, the one-loss conference champion carried the day,”

The Conference Champion got rewarded just as the system has been designed to do.
Yes, so if Texas had won, OSU would have been 4th and Georgia 5th. Committee was not putting a.2 loss non champ over a 1 loss champ. Like the Constitution the Committee is not a suicide pact.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: December 02, 2018, 04:22:24 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

And since OSU is behind Georgia there is a good chance that Georgia was thought to be the better team of all three. And only a 'technicality' kept them out. One way or the other.

But I suppose it's better for the Conferences this way and thus the somewhat arbitrary 'rule'. Or convenient may be a better definition.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: December 02, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »

Oklahoma - ND final

You putting any money on that?

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: December 02, 2018, 04:49:09 PM »

Looks like the Committee may have been attuned to my QL theory(Quality Loss) just as much as the Quality Win premise. Possibly more.

Georgia lost to #1 Bama and #11 LSU

Michigan lost to #3 ND and #6 OSU

Washington lost to an unranked team Auburn but it was the beginning of the season and all of their losses were very close.

Florida lost to #5 Georgia, #14 Kentucky and #23 Mizzou

LSU lost to comparable teams #1 Bama, #10 Florida and #19 Texas A&M but had the misfortune of losing late.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:50:49 PM by CaptainCargo »

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: December 02, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

And since OSU is behind Georgia there is a good chance that Georgia was thought to be the better team of all three. And only a 'technicality' kept them out. One way or the other.

But I suppose it's better for the Conferences this way and thus the somewhat arbitrary 'rule'. Or convenient may be a better definition.
Just as the "technicality" of tOSU getting smoked by tPurdue kept them out and the technicality of tPSU losing to every good team they played kept kept them out. If you consider losing twice,  not being a conference champion and gacking up a huge lead in your most important game a technicality, so be it. Second losses are poison.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: December 02, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

Just as the "technicality" of tOSU getting smoked by tPurdue kept them out and the technicality of tPSU losing to every good team they played kept kept them out. If you consider losing twice,  not being a conference champion and gacking up a huge lead in your most important game a technicality, so be it. Second losses are poison.

First, this isn't 1978. In this day and age 14 points isn't an insurmountable lead by any means. And the Purdue loss goes to bostler my QL data point at the other end of the scale.

I'm simply saying the fact that the Committee placed 2 loss Georgia ahead of one loss OSU is interesting. And an extropolation can therefore be put forward.

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity(and didn't want to duspute everything I say including water is wet)would have to say the idea has merit. Ease off the trigger Bro, it's just ideas.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:28:11 PM by CaptainCargo »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: December 02, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

And since OSU is behind Georgia there is a good chance that Georgia was thought to be the better team of all three.   And only a 'technicality' kept them out. One way or the other.
Obviously not since it failed to win its conference. 
Once that part of the protocol was met Georgia is out. That is not a technicality it is a protocol the Committee took time to explain.

But I suppose it's better for the Conferences this way.
Of course.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: December 02, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

And since OSU is behind Georgia there is a good chance that Georgia was thought to be the better team of all three.   And only a 'technicality' kept them out. One way or the other.
Obviously not since it failed to win its conference. 
Once that part of the protocol was met Georgia is out. That is not a technicality it is a protocol the Committee took time to explain.

Call it what you will.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: December 02, 2018, 06:03:20 PM »

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit.
Well, it is the rule as the Committee reinforced today. Please take note of this for future reference.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: December 02, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »

its irrelevant as to 1-4

First, this isn't 1978. In this day and age 14 points isn't an insurmountable lead by any means. And the Purdue loss goes to bostler my QL data point at the other end of the scale.

I'm simply saying the fact that the Committee placed 2 loss Georgia ahead of one loss OSU is interesting. And an extropolation can therefore be put forward.

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit. Anyone with an ounce of objectivity(and didn't want to duspute everything I say including water is wet)would have to say the idea has merit. Ease off the trigger Bro, it's just ideas.
Why is rule in quotes? It is not a technicality, it is a design feature.

If I had my way it would be limited to conference champs. The committee deciding based on their actual protocols rather than my ideas does not make it a technicality. Anyway, for the fifth year in a row the Committee did a good, consistent job of putting the right teams in the playoffs.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: December 02, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »

Oklahoma - ND final

You putting any money on that?

With the points, yes.  Likely.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: December 02, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »

My theory that without the Conference Champion "rule" Georgia could well be in the Football four has merit.
Well, it is the rule as the Committee reinforced today. Please take note of this for future reference.

To aid you in your msunderstanding they didn't reinforce anything. Simply used one of the out tools they gave themselves.

There's something for your immediate reference. Always willing to help you fully undersand old Skip.

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 329