Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 261859 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #1815 on: January 03, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »

The idea that the people who decide on the championship game sites make the.decision about 6 years in advance.and have no clue what teams will be in the game seems to have floated past the reach of the damaged syphlitic brains of some people, as well as some of us with functioning brains. They are playing the game in different sections of the country over the next five years, including Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and some LAish area that doesn't even have a stadium right now. Obviously, good weather or an indoor stadium are restrictions, though watching Alabama or Clemson play in First Energy Stadium in January would please me no end. But having the game in different parts of the country is a goal.
Sooner or later the logistics of playoff football were going to strain family budgets, both monetarily and time-wise. Currently a potential playoff bound team’s fan base  has to balance travel and time
to three potential games, from Conference CG to the National CG.  Which is another consideration in discussing additional playoff games. Already we have learned that scheduling playoff dates can have negative effects on TV ratings. The best times, 5pm and 8pm New Year’s Day, are only available once every three years. And now we see the possibility of empty seats when fans decide not to travel long distances more than once.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: January 03, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »

High TV ratings for the Rose and Sugar Bowls in non-playoff year.
Playoff expansion talk growing weaker.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/change-may-be-coming-to-the-college-football-playoff-just-not-the-type-you-might-expect/

Personally I'm okay with the four team playoff. It allows me to speculate on and opine the picks. But just because one, or fifty, articles say expansion is dead in the water, it doesn't mean it is gospel.

The poor-boy 5 would like the chance to dance, but they don't have the clout to purchase a new dress for the occasion.  The PAC-12 is feeling isolated, but what can they expect tieing themselves to the Big Whatever for the NoseBowl.
I just wish the playoff committee was honest; for some reason I dislike educational organizations not being truthful. (Yes, Jim, the C in NCAA has something to do with colleges)

The number of "coaches" that the top schools can afford is not conducive to the myth of parity
In college athletics.  (The other side is that the coaching fraternity is a family affair with nephews,
Brothers and in-laws having positions custom-made that skirt the NCAA limits)
[One new coaching position is uniform coordinator:  they are responsible for ensuring that no uniform is worn twice in one season and to coordinate the uniforms with what they want the fans to wear for the game and which sections will alternate colors to please the TV people.
This position starts at $150,000]

The Big 10 I don't think is all that happy with the current configuration either, probably the Big 12 too. At least as far as the rules go. Rather than push for more teams the BIG 10, Big 12, and PAC might all three push for guaranteed berths for Conference Champions. They may not, but the possibility certainly exists.
And while the guy writing the article might be right that expansion is off the table for the moment.(He could be wrong too) I'm sure there will be some offseason jockeying going on that mat of may not manifest itself in some sort of rules tweeking. Or they may just all play Parcheesi and Mahjong and eat finger sandwiches.   
The Big Ten and the PAC 12 have absolutely no interest in anything that damages the Rose Bowl since both have next-to-guaranteed spots two of every three years.  In the 104 years of the Rose Bowl the game has NEVER featured two 3 loss teams’ but that becomes more than just possible under an 8 team playoff system. 

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: January 03, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »

The Big 10 I don't think is all that happy with the current configuration either, probably the Big 12 too. At least as far as the rules go. Rather than push for more teams the BIG 10, Big 12, and PAC might all three push for guaranteed berths for Conference Champions. They may not, but the possibility certainly exists.
And while the guy writing the article might be right that expansion is off the table for the moment.(He could be wrong too) I'm sure there will be some offseason jockeying going on that mat of may not manifest itself in some sort of rules tweeking. Or they may just all play Parcheesi and Mahjong and eat finger sandwiches.   
If I understand Delaney's comments, the Big Whatever wants a tweaking that has as much to do with the other four bowls as the playoffs. As in, why Florida with an 8 game conference schedule and two FCS games in one.of the four seeded bowls. Florida justified its selection, in the end, but the process issue remains. He supports the current system, even if one of his teams has been left out the last two years.

There is a guaranteed slot for conference champs in the 6 seeded bowls. And no way to guarantee slots in a 4.team playoff.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: January 03, 2019, 12:57:57 PM »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/change-may-be-coming-to-the-college-football-playoff-just-not-the-type-you-might-expect/

Personally I'm okay with the four team playoff. It allows me to speculate on and opine the picks. But just because one, or fifty, articles say expansion is dead in the water, it doesn't mean it is gospel.

The poor-boy 5 would like the chance to dance, but they don't have the clout to purchase a new dress for the occasion.  The PAC-12 is feeling isolated, but what can they expect tieing themselves to the Big Whatever for the NoseBowl.
I just wish the playoff committee was honest; for some reason I dislike educational organizations not being truthful. (Yes, Jim, the C in NCAA has something to do with colleges)

The number of "coaches" that the top schools can afford is not conducive to the myth of parity
In college athletics.  (The other side is that the coaching fraternity is a family affair with nephews,
[One new coaching position is uniform coordinator:  they are responsible for ensuring that no uniform is worn twice in one season and to coordinate the uniforms with what they want the fans to wear for the game and which sections will alternate colors to please the TV people.

...In the 104 years of the Rose Bowl the game has NEVER featured two 3 loss teams’ but that becomes more than just possible under an 8 team playoff system. ...

No, not necessarily.

But alarmists could surely beat that drum.

For the drumbeaters and worry warts look up the word 'configuration' and 'compromise'. That's how deals are struck.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: January 03, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »

...In the 104 years of the Rose Bowl the game has NEVER featured two 3 loss teams’ but that becomes more than just possible under an 8 team playoff system. ...

No, not necessarily.
would have happened this year to both the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: January 03, 2019, 02:23:18 PM »

The idea that the people who decide on the championship game sites make the.decision about 6 years in advance.and have no clue what teams will be in the game seems to have floated past the reach of the damaged syphlitic brains of some people, as well as some of us with functioning brains. They are playing the game in different sections of the country over the next five years, including Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis and some LAish area that doesn't even have a stadium right now. Obviously, good weather or an indoor stadium are restrictions, though watching Alabama or Clemson play in First Energy Stadium in January would please me no end. But having the game in different parts of the country is a goal.

Okay I can live with that.

I guess it might be clear that different parts of the country may not add up equal, at times. :-)

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: January 03, 2019, 02:37:30 PM »

If I understand Delaney's comments, the Big Whatever wants a tweaking that has as much to do with the other four bowls as the playoffs. As in, why Florida with an 8 game conference schedule and two FCS games in one.of the four seeded bowls. Florida justified its selection, in the end, but the process issue remains. He supports the current system, even if one of his teams has been left out the last two years.

There is a guaranteed slot for conference champs in the 6 seeded bowls. And no way to guarantee slots in a 4.team playoff.

As you said Florida justified its selection. But even if they hadn't it is as much about ratings as ticket sales. Lots of folks wanted to see that Mich/Fla rematch game. I know I did. And I think it was a good matchup. Much better than the 8 conference game Auburn vs the 9 conference game Purdue matchup. I understand Delaney's comments too but I just understand them in an alternate way.

I think it was a darned good thing for the BIG 10 to have Florida in it, he should be thankful.(See above Auburn/Purdue)

The 8 game thing I have said time and time again is just so much fluff and deception. But it is truly meaningless as Massey in the end had Michigan's and Florida's overall SOS at #17 and #18 respectively. So what did those 8 games as opposed to 9 games really mean. That's right absolutely zilch. Just a case of Delaney posturing and preening puffily away.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: January 03, 2019, 02:38:25 PM »

Okay I can live with that.

I guess it might be clear that different parts of the country may not add up equal, at times. :-)
Well, good weather or a dome means the next five games are in Nawlins, Miami Gardens, Indianapolis, Inglewood, and Houston. Depending on how you count Houston, that is a game in each power conference foot print, while making three fairly easy trips for Bama fans.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: January 03, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »

Conference Records in Bowl Games:

PAC 12: 3-4

ACC: 5 - 5

Big 12: 4 - 3

Big 10: 5 - 4

SEC: 6 - 5

Pretty even. Of course, with the ACC and the SEC playing only 8 conference games, they have additional bowl eligible teams....

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »

As you said Florida justified its selection. But even if they hadn't it is as much about ratings as ticket sales. Lots of folks wanted to see that Mich/Fla rematch game. I know I did. And I think it was a good matchup. Much better than the 8 conference game Auburn vs the 9 conference game Purdue matchup. I understand Delaney's comments too but I just understand them in an alternate way.

I think it was a darned good thing for the BIG 10 to have Florida in it, he should be thankful.(See above Auburn/Purdue)

The 8 game thing I have said time and time again is just so much fluff and deception. But it is truly meaningless as Massey in the end had Michigan's and Florida's overall SOS at #17 and #18 respectively.

Apples and Oranges since Florida got to 9 wins playing 2 FCS teams. Had it played one more SEC team there is a chance of a loss.
   So what did those 8 games as opposed to 9 games really mean. That's right absolutely zilch. Just a case of Delaney posturing and preening puffily away.
Actually it meant quite a lot, which Delaney pointed out.
Until this issue is taken seriously expansion talk will not be a priority and may never be.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: January 03, 2019, 03:07:37 PM »

Pretty even. Of course, with the ACC and the SEC playing only 8 conference games, they have additional bowl eligible teams....

With the Bic Whatever playing the easiest non-conference schedules they have five more bowl teams than they deserve.....
Your post is senseless.
It proves absolutely nothing beyond you hate the BigTen
You had to go all the way to Turkey to give us your same old shit?

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: January 03, 2019, 03:41:11 PM »

With the Bic Whatever playing the easiest non-conference schedules they have five more bowl teams than they deserve.....
Your post is senseless.
It proves absolutely nothing beyond you hate the BigTen
You had to go all the way to Turkey to give us your same old shit?
I picture Midnight Express, except he is enjoying it.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: January 03, 2019, 03:43:28 PM »

:-)

As opposed to the Big Ten just playing with themselves.

Of the Big 10's 4 losses three of them came at the hands of the SEC.

Big Ten vs SEC head to head 1-3 combined score of 70-153.(Ouch!) Thank God for your old favorite paper tiger Miss St. ;-)

Seriously the PSU/Kentucky(In the end Kentucky had a pretty good year) and Iowa/Miss St were good games.

Michigan and Purdue getting ass raped not so much. At least Malzahn had the class to call off the dogs in the second half. Mullen on the other hand was an animal.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: January 03, 2019, 03:46:22 PM »

No, not necessarily.
would have happened this year to both the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

We're talking about future configurations, but then you know that.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: January 03, 2019, 03:48:29 PM »

The 8 game thing I have said time and time again is just so much fluff and deception. But it is truly meaningless as Massey in the end had Michigan's and Florida's overall SOS at #17 and #18 respectively.

Apples and Oranges since Florida got to 9 wins playing 2 FCS teams. Had it played one more SEC team there is a chance of a loss.
   So what did those 8 games as opposed to 9 games really mean. That's right absolutely zilch. Just a case of Delaney posturing and preening puffily away.
Actually it meant quite a lot, which Delaney pointed out.

The sad thing is that you actually believe it.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 329