Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What will be the outcome of Russia's invasion of Ukraine?

Russia will gain eastern Ukraine territories and hold them, as it has Crimea
- 5 (45.5%)
Russia will temporarily gain eastern Ukraine territories before being forced out of them
- 2 (18.2%)
Efforts to confront the Russian forces and get them out of Ukraine will lead to Putin's escalating and attacking NATO countries directly with missiles or other destructive measures
- 0 (0%)
The NATO/World response will be so mild that Putin will go ahead and take the rest of Ukraine
- 3 (27.3%)
Today Ukraine, tomorrow Moldova and who knows where else
- 1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: March 01, 2022, 01:18:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 145

Author Topic: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine  (Read 44225 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Russia's Invasion of Ukraine
« Reply #1260 on: May 30, 2022, 09:28:05 PM »

Putin will not throw nukes ... .

As stated all along.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 31, 2022, 07:26:51 AM »

---Biden
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1262 on: May 31, 2022, 10:14:26 AM »

Putin will not throw nukes ... .

As stated all along.

Not by me, or Dmitry Peskov, who stated the "existential threat" standard back in March.

Long range rockets, that could hit major Russian population centers, could cross their stated bright line, and I have no certainty that they wouldn't throw a tactical nuke in reply.  It's vile and hypocritical but it is not beyond all possibility.  I don't trust Putin to give "existential threat" the same meaning that the rest of us do.  He needs to be taken out internally before we can find out more just how little he cares about rational rules of engagement.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 01, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/07/us-nuclear-strategy-cold-war-russia/638441/

https://archive.ph/8IJzp

(a) My hope is that the discussion is going on, but the public doesn't know about it.

(b) I'm not really sure what a strategy should be at anything beyond tactical nukes. "Okay, they are firing at us. Do we fire back and destroy the world or do we allow ourselves to be destroyed in the hope that the world survives, albeit under those villains' control?!"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Holly Martins

« Reply #1265 on: June 01, 2022, 01:42:00 PM »

The only sane strategic scenario is omnilateral disarmament with an independent inspection body checking every single installation.  Then use the nuke materials as fuel in modular reactors to help the transition to green energy.  All the nuclear nations would reap significant economic benefits, as well as environmental ones (making weapons-grade U-235, or plutonium, is a dirty business).  The public really needs to be in on this discussion, if it's happening. 

Holly Martins

« Reply #1266 on: June 03, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »

Looks at the long history of wishful thinkers that Vlad is sick...

https://www.politico.eu/article/backpain-cancer-and-covid-vladimir-putin-top-health-scares-throughout-the-years/

Also linked in that article is a Deutsche Welt piece on why doctors can't really diagnose illnesses on the basis of video stumbles or looking puffy.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 05, 2022, 01:46:46 PM »

New top General for the invasion force. Sick or well, Vlad does not seem to like news of Russian ass getting kicked or the mass desertions from his war effort.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 05, 2022, 06:15:43 PM »

New top General for the invasion force. Sick or well, Vlad does not seem to like news of Russian ass getting kicked or the mass desertions from his war effort.

Not seeing that, exactly.

Seeing that the general put in charge in early April, Dornikov, has not been seen for a couple weeks.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/11/europe/ukraine-donbas-battle-russia-cmd-intl/index.html

Seeing that 5 generals got fired (or rotated out, if we are to believe Putin's people).
https://www.newsweek.com/putin-fires-five-generals-russia-military-failures-ukraine-continue-1712053

Seeing yet another Russian general killed in Ukraine.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russian-general-killed-eastern-ukraine-russian-state-media-reporter-says-2022-06-05/

And I am seeing a claim that their first stage has been successful (!):
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine-goals-scaled-back/31770879.html

But I am missing an appointment of a new general this week.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 08, 2022, 09:37:23 AM »

Thanks for the update, Fac.  You are valuable at times.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: June 09, 2022, 06:08:16 PM »

We hope to one day regain your headspace as territory aligned with the Free World, Kid.

Richard P. Feynman

Oiled

• View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 10, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »

Putin likens himself to Peter the Great, links imperial expansion to Ukraine war

- WaPo headine today.

Looks like he said what we already knew, out loud.

Mr. Hoover was an engineer. He knew that water trickles down... But he didnt know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow. But it will at least have passed through the poor fellows hands.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: June 10, 2022, 06:29:49 PM »

Putin likens himself to Peter the Great...
No wonder Sweden wants to join NATO.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Holly Martins

« Reply #1274 on: June 11, 2022, 09:43:04 AM »

A nation that has lutfisk does not need NATO. 
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 145