Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 263676 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2865 on: November 04, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150games/the-150-greatest-games-college-football-150-year-history

In the newest installment of ESPN's yearlong initiative marking 150 years of college football, we set out to rank the 150 greatest games in history.

A panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these games from 202 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.

I remember several of them, and the usual suspects dominate the list, but a couple of outliers snuck through, and I was lucky enough to have attended #11 with my dad.

And boz one of your alltime favs is #20

I haven't looked at the list yet Rich. But before I do if the 1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma game isn't in at least the Top 10, if not the Top 5, I will piss on this list and all that made it! LOL

Cap-Lets just say that guys of a certain age will see some classic games from their youth and you won't be entirely disapponted.

But if you got go take a leak, I certainly understand, I feel like I piss all day.
Diabetes will do that to you.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: November 04, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

1969  Rose Bowl where tOSU rallied from a10-0  deficit against Heisman Tropy winner OJ Simpson and the mighty USC Trojans to cap an undefeated, undisputed National Championship?
NOT on the list!
It was the first time in the Rose Bowl history of contracted conferences to match the number 1and 2 ranked teams.
The list?  Circular file.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: November 04, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150games/the-150-greatest-games-college-football-150-year-history

In the newest installment of ESPN's yearlong initiative marking 150 years of college football, we set out to rank the 150 greatest games in history.

A panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these games from 202 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.

I remember several of them, and the usual suspects dominate the list, but a couple of outliers snuck through, and I was lucky enough to have attended #11 with my dad.

I haven't looked at the list yet Rich. But before I do if the 1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma game isn't in at least the Top 10, if not the Top 5, I will piss on this list and all that made it! LOL
Your threatened widespread mictruition worked its magic.

I have to admit I have never heard that word before. Kinda pisses me off.

Seriously though, I remember watching that game as a young teenager. I was rooting for Oklahoma. I was, of course as the age inspires, devastated when it was over. I was a huge Greg Pruitt fan and had not as yet developed my affinity for defense. Needless to say I later became somewhat of the Cleveland Browns fan like my brother when Pruitt ended up on the Brownies. My Father, a staunch Giants fan was not amused.

Later as I learned the joy of destroying receivers and running backs, mostly receivers, that I developed my affinity for defense.

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: November 04, 2019, 08:28:39 PM »

Cap-Lets just say that guys of a certain age will see some classic games from their youth and you won't be entirely disapponted.

But if you got go take a leak, I certainly understand, I feel like I piss all day.

In the bathroom more, and it takes longer to get out. I gotcha.

TrojanHorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: November 04, 2019, 08:59:35 PM »

Willie Taggart is out at Florida State
as head coach.

Adults still not in charge at Florida State?  or was it a political/revenge firing?  ...same difference I guess.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person...it's damn near impossible to win an argument with an idiot.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: November 05, 2019, 09:50:48 AM »

as head coach.

Adults still not in charge at Florida State?  or was it a political/revenge firing?  ...same difference I guess.

Bad knee-jerk hire to begin with. Basically a .500 head coach wherever he was. Oregon was lucky to be shed of him.

Hire the Wake Forest guy.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: November 05, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »

as head coach.

Adults still not in charge at Florida State?
It’s a tough world. Clemson now rules the ACC, once dominated by the Seminoles, and home attendance is sinking toward mid-major  numbers.
Possibilities?
Bob Stoops would be a good choice. He is in the XFL now but his legendary  career at Oklahoma could soothe some of the hurt feelings of Taggart players and recruits. Plus Stoops is familiar with Florida.
His bother Mark is doing well at Kentucky and was an assistant for Jimbo Fisher. He may be inclined to leave second tier status in the SEC.
Up and comers could be PJ Fleck at Minnesota and Matt Campbell at Iowa State.
If the Seminole brass would like to tap an assistant coach the best would be Brent Venables at Clemson.
The advantage for Fla State is it is out in front on the annual coach search.
But when you fire a guy after only 21 games his successor is going to want not only a nice salary but a huge buyout package as well.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: November 05, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »

Also, a good stable working relationship with your AD, which may be an issue with FSU.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

jbottle

• View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: November 06, 2019, 12:55:28 AM »

FSU gets to say “we tried to hire a black...,” shrug, done for the century now.

Which is sad because their program has more problems, one being #5 out recruiting them...

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: November 06, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »

FSU's problem is not ClemSIN outrecruiting them. ClemSIN outrecruits everyone. It is all the other teams.

jbot, bo and cap's syphlitic alter ego and any others with an irrational hatred of THE can take comfort in the knowledge that no team that has opened at #1 in the playoff rankings has ever won the playoffs. Those with an irrational hatred of Nick Satan, if there are any here, can take comfort in the idea that no team that has opened at 3 has ever made the playoffs.

But most interesting to me is that both Oregon and Utah are ahead of Oklahoma, at 7 and 8. At least 3 of the teams ahead of them will lose, so that 6 ranking is kind of the cusp of the playoffs. Granting that the Committee is not a poll and each week starts anew,  but it is hard to see what Oklahoma does to get past them. Baylor is on the schedule at least once, and beating them potentially twice? But it looks like Utah and Oregon.have an edge if they hold serve.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: November 06, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »

I think Ohio State will beat Penn State vaulting Clemson back into the Top 4, but then this is the year that Michigan will beat Ohio State reintroducing a bit of chaos into everything.   
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: November 06, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »

FSU gets to say “we tried to hire a black...,” shrug, done for the century now.

Which is sad because their program has more problems, one being #5 out recruiting them...

Tough congested area to recruit in. And recruiting is even more brutal than it was 20 years ago in the State of Florida.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: November 06, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »

FSU's problem is not ClemSIN outrecruiting them. ClemSIN outrecruits everyone. It is all the other teams.

jbot, bo and cap's syphlitic alter ego and any others with an irrational hatred of THE can take comfort in the knowledge that no team that has opened at #1 in the playoff rankings has ever won the playoffs. Those with an irrational hatred of Nick Satan, if there are any here, can take comfort in the idea that no team that has opened at 3 has ever made the playoffs.

But most interesting to me is that both Oregon and Utah are ahead of Oklahoma, at 7 and 8. At least 3 of the teams ahead of them will lose, so that 6 ranking is kind of the cusp of the playoffs. Granting that the Committee is not a poll and each week starts anew,  but it is hard to see what Oklahoma does to get past them. Baylor is on the schedule at least once, and beating them potentially twice? But it looks like Utah and Oregon.have an edge if they hold serve.

I can assure you that my hatred of OSU is completely rational.

An I haven't seen Bosox in ages. You think he fell off of one of those Sierra Madre hills he likes to frequent? Got buried in an avalanche or taken away by Bigfoot to be his bride?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:37:54 AM by CaptainCargo »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: November 06, 2019, 11:43:03 AM »

BTW I had OSU at #1, you knew that if you've been paying attention.

But I also had/have Oregon ahead of Oklahoma. Not Utah though.

And IMO the committee has nothing to lose by putting Clemson at #5, and it makes them seem like they are actually using deductive reasoning if making their weekly picks. Bama/LSU will move the Tigers up anyways.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: November 06, 2019, 12:01:29 PM »

We mentioned THE and got no response. If we mention Nabokov and he stays silent, he is dead.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 329