Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4189 4190 [4191] 4192 4193 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1633486 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #62850 on: January 12, 2021, 07:23:19 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/opinions/republicans-expel-riot-supporters-obeidallah/index.html

According to this, 18 per cent of Republicans support the rioters that broke through Capitol barricades on 1/6

An excellent mirror to this would have been asking Democrats if they supported the Atlanta Wendy's being burned to the ground.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62851 on: January 12, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »

You still know very little about FOX coverage, given your comments

I think if you judge shows on their individual merits you will have more credibility.

I watch as little as possible of Fox as I believe it to be (in the 7-11pm hours) a misleading and disingenuous voice. Simply put, they have lied to thir viewers for years.

But given the sea-change we are starting to see, and how leading Repubs (McConnell and Cheney) are signalling their intentions and feelings about Trump, it would not surprise me to see a change in tenor at Fox.

This is now becoming about saving the R-party from Trump in '22 and '24, and Fox was originally set-up to promote the interests not of Trump, but rather the R-party. 

At this point it is becoming clear that money might  dry up both for R-politicians and for Fox if they continue to support a treasonous Trump who engineered a coup.

although Pillow-guy seems pretty loyal. A little coup wont scare him off.

As an aside, I do like the NFL on Fox and Chris Wallace on Sunday AM.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62852 on: January 12, 2021, 07:41:23 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/10/opinions/republicans-expel-riot-supporters-obeidallah/index.html

According to this, 18 per cent of Republicans support the rioters that broke through Capitol barricades on 1/6

An excellent mirror to this would have been asking Democrats if they supported the Atlanta Wendy's being burned to the ground.

Because stopping the process of choosing the next president by trying to stage a coup while vandalizing the Capitol Building and seeking to kill or capture congresspeople and the VP is exactly the same as burning a fast food restaurant.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #62853 on: January 12, 2021, 07:41:29 PM »

At the White House, Mr. Trump struck a defiant tone, insisting that he would remain a potent force in American politics as aides and allies abandoned him and his post-presidential prospects turned increasingly bleak. Behind closed doors, he made clear that he would not resign and expressed regret about releasing a video on Thursday committing to a peaceful transition of power and condemning the violence at the Capitol that he had egged on a day before.
~NYT

THIS is why we want him gone.

We need him egging on his follower toward more and greater violence about as much as we need his lovemate to start a war. That is to say, not at all.

With all due respect, and though I want Trump removed, he is proving to be a very useful idiot in his final days as POTUS.  First in the historic election -- someone posted a link here to an article saying that this was the first time in over 80 years where a party that held the WH, House, and Senate lost all three just four years later -- that provided a seismic shift in Washington DC, and now in the failed insurrection that has exposed several hundred traitors to federal prosecution and perhaps a few senators as well.   

And while the removal of Trump would be more popcorn worthy binge fuel (like the recent Trump-Pence fallout) it wouldn't be enough punishment and it would hardly prevent the Comrade in chief from fomenting more insurrection.  He could be even more dangerous without the shackles of respectability he occasionally has forced upon him by his presidential advisors.   

I will say it now, and this might make me sound like a monster, but I don't think more incitement to violence and doubling-down by Trump in the short term is necessarily the worst thing that could happen to this country.  We need more evidence (not for you or I but for the future former-Trumpers) for people to see what kind of devil they made a deal with.  It's not enough for a handful of Republicans to turn their backs on Trump due to the horrors of last wednesday.  We may need things to get even worse before they can truly get better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:43:53 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #62854 on: January 12, 2021, 07:46:00 PM »

Because stopping the process of choosing the next president by trying to stage a coup while vandalizing the Capitol Building and seeking to kill or capture congresspeople and the VP is exactly the same as burning a fast food restaurant.
If you’re going to “what about?” , Kid, you’ll have to try a little harder.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #62855 on: January 12, 2021, 07:51:44 PM »

Yeah because Atlanta Wendy's is just as sacred to our nation as the Capitol.  Time to take another break from posting kid.

barton

« Reply #62856 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:00 PM »

Whatever happens he's assured of a soft landing.   And a cushy job.   

(sorry) (not really sorry)

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #62857 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »

I think if you judge shows on their individual merits you will have more credibility.

I watch as little as possible of Fox as I believe it to be (in the 7-11pm hours) a misleading and disingenuous voice. Simply put, they have lied to thir viewers for years.

But given the sea-change we are starting to see, and how leading Repubs (McConnell and Cheney) are signalling their intentions and feelings about Trump, it would not surprise me to see a change in tenor at Fox.

Fox is chasing ratings.  They're hemorrhaging viewers to even more misleading networks.  They aren't going to change their tenor for the better.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #62858 on: January 12, 2021, 08:11:20 PM »

DT:

US COVID-19 DEATH TOLL ‘LIKE 9/11 EVERY DAY’

The US has averaged more than 3,000 COVID-19 deaths per day for the past week, and has reported more than 200,000 new infections for seven straight days.
The severity of the toll is now the equivalent of experiencing the 9/11 attacks every day.

The US averaged more than 3,223 COVID-19 deaths a day over the past seven days, according to Johns Hopkins University.
That’s a few hundred more per day than the 2001 terrorist strikes.

Also in the past week an average of 248,650 new infections have been reported every day.

“This is what we were afraid of — people letting their guard down over Christmas and New Year’s,” New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy said.

Southern California, especially Los Angeles expects another surge as it takes at least a fortnight before people’s symptoms become severe enough to seek hospital treatment.

#####

Yes, all that travelling, when basically told to stay home...all that hugging, kissing, dancing, partying...now look what's happening.
Trump of course will get the blame.

Saw Joe getting the jab...courtesy of Trump's work..

Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #62859 on: January 12, 2021, 08:28:49 PM »

Wonder if Joe said:
"Thanks Don for getting the vaccine so quickly and saving my life so I can be President?"
Go woke, go broke.

barton

« Reply #62860 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:17 PM »

Also worth noting that Wendy's was not burned to do bodily harm.  Whereas some of the capitol stormers came to abduct and then execute people.  And,  in fact,  did injure and kill.  And erected a gibbet,  with a noose.  Shouldn't allow RW apologists to skip over inconvenient facts like that.  Or make false equivalences between property damage and personal mayhem.   

Just waiting for the lies,  now.  No,  David Dorn was killed by looters,  not by protestors.   No,  the guy in Oakland wasn't killed by protestors,  either.   Crimes happen in cities,  amidst times of protest as well as other times.   Looters are,  by definition, criminal opportunists and not political activists.   And there is no 18% of actual BLM activists who endorsed violence.   It was,  and is,  a peaceful movement to STOP violence.   But feel free to keep telling yourself lies,  so you can continue to feel superior.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62861 on: January 12, 2021, 08:34:56 PM »

Yes, all that travelling, when basically told to stay home...all that hugging, kissing, dancing, partying...now look what's happening.
Trump of course will get the blame.

Saw Joe getting the jab...courtesy of Trump's work..

Can't help yourself.

(a) Trump will get some of the blame, because he has EARNED it. He did not tell people to stay home. The FAA did not force greater screening. If you look at the states where things are growing the fastest, figure out what they have in common - because I assure you the numbers are clear.

(b) No, you misrepresent the facts there, too. It is not because of Trump that the vaccines were developed so swiftly, for all that he wants the credit for it - otherwise, the ones that were part of Operation Warp Speed would have been the only ones that came out so fast, but that is not even close to what happened.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62862 on: January 12, 2021, 08:36:20 PM »

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/this-is-a-reckoning/

“Lo ta’amod al dam reiakha – do not stand idly by” – when blood is spilled and blood has been spilled.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62863 on: January 12, 2021, 08:38:47 PM »

Fox is chasing ratings.  They're hemorrhaging viewers to even more misleading networks.  They aren't going to change their tenor for the better.

I didn't say Fox would change for the better, but change, and move away from being the network of Trump, to being the network of conservative Republicans.

To promote conservative agenda and conservative Rs Fox may have to move away from Trump.

And you ignored the the next two lines which read

This is now becoming about saving the R-party from Trump in '22 and '24, and Fox was originally set-up to promote the interests not of Trump, but rather the R-party.
[/b]

At this point it is becoming clear that money might  dry up both for R-politicians and for Fox if they continue to support a treasonous Trump who engineered a coup.

I think there is a very good chance that there will be so much bad news coming out about Trump over the next year or so, bailing on Trump, will be seen in hindsight as the right stategic move

And Macihavellian Mitch is good at congressional calculus.

Its funny but one of Roger Ailes goals in setting up Fox was to protect R-presidents, and help them avoid situations like Nixon in '74.

Ironically, the excesses they promoted by spreading Trump propaganda, created a monster so perverse, that it demanded impeachment. 

Twice.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62864 on: January 12, 2021, 08:44:48 PM »

Whatever happens he's assured of a soft landing.   And a cushy job.   

(sorry) (not really sorry)

That was a lotta fluff!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 4189 4190 [4191] 4192 4193 ... 4288