Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Will all the Bowl games be played this year?

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 22, 2020, 02:05:59 PM

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 329

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 264633 times)

Espnthree

• View Profile
Re: College Football
« Reply #2850 on: November 02, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »

Bearcats win a thriller at East Carolina. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:46:07 PM by Espnthree »

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 03, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »

Purdue’s last 15 touchdowns have been scored by freshmen.

Maryland scored more points in its first two games (142) than it has in its past seven games (124).

Georgia is the only FBS team that has not allowed a rushing touchdown this season.

Illinois has forced and recovered a fumble in all nine games this season, the longest active streak in FBS.

Notre Dame lost a  fumble for the first time in four years in its win over Virginia Tech

Rutgers has lost all 6 of its B1G games. All by 28 points or more.

Georgia is the only FBS team that has not allowed a rushing touchdown this season.

Willie Taggart is out at Florida State
as head coach.

AP still has the top four as LSU, Alabama, tOSU, and Clemson.
Of the 62 first place votes ‘Bama got 21, LSU and the Buckeyes 17 each and Clemson 7

Penn State and Georgia come next.

It will be interesting to see how the Committee sorts out the middle of the AP 25.

7   Oregon   8-1      
8   Utah           8-1      
9   Oklahoma   7-1      
10   Florida   7-2      
11   Baylor   8-0      
12   Auburn   7-2      
13   Minnesota   8-0      
14   Michigan   7-2   

The  CFP Committee’s first rankings come out Tuesday.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:45:17 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 04, 2019, 12:24:33 AM »

No fucking point.in holding a grudge if you are going to get all factual about it.
Sam: Those sons of bitches, they got him right through the neck.

Suzy: Was he a good dog?

Sam: Who's to say? But he didn't deserve to die.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 04, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »

Interesting to see how the Committee sorts out the gang of five in its first rankings tomorrow.
Four of 6 in the top 25 are from the AAC,
Cincinnati is 17th and Memphis number 19, both at 7-1 and scheduled to meet in the last game of the regular season.
Memphis lost by 2 on the road to a good Temple team while the Bearcats were shut out 32-0 by Ohio State in Columbus.
The pollsters seem to give Cincinnati the nod over Memphis on SOS despite the Buckeye blowout.
Will the Committee do likewise? The AAC is pretty competitive and its Champ would be figured to rank pretty high if it comes in with only one loss.
The last time a non power five  Ohio team was ranked in the final AP poll was 1970 when undefeated Toledo of the Mid-Am came in at 12th. OSU finished 5Th
 In 1971 Toledo (on a 35 game winning streak) again finished 12th but Ohio State did not make the poll( only top 20 then) at 6-4 with the Conference still limited to just the Rose Bowl in post season. That was the only year in modern times that an Ohio team not named Ohio State was the only Ohio school in the top 20 spots in the polls.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 02:31:07 PM by Espnthree »

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: November 04, 2019, 02:40:19 PM »

42 - 0,  not 32 - 0.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 04, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »

Very early, because I might not have the chance to post before Thursday otherwise.

Michigan State 17, Illinois 3

We had better beat Illinois.  I mean we fucking sure as hell better beat Illinois. Do NOT get caught looking forward to Methchicken you bastards. Time for Raequon Williams, Kenny Willekes, Joe Bachie, Josiah Scott et al to live up to the preseason hype. Offensively… yeeesh.  I do not know that we are fixable within the context of the year.  But we have made it through the rough patch; there is not a game left on the schedule that strikes me as unwinnable.  Granted, we have lost three games I thought were winnable, and two very, very badly.

THE 49, Maryland 3

THE is moving like a tremendous machine, at this point, and it is hard to see a team like Maryland posing a threat.  Or anyone, at least until those last two games.  At some level, I wonder about the type of let down that killed THE’s season the last two years, especially leading up to the hype of two top 5 teams meeting on 11/23.  But the two teams leading up to that are Maryland and Rutgers, so no worries.

the Pennsylvania State University 35, Minnesota 10

Nice story for the Aureate Rodents, but there is a real chance they have won their last game – well, Northwestern is not scaring anyone.  None of the Power 5 schools Mini has played have a winning record – Illinois is 4 – 4.  The best team they have played so far may well be the Jackalopes.  Mini is in the “Bowl Eligible” scheduling mode, not the Championship contending schedule mode.  Say… P J Fleck to Florida State?  He seems to get a lot out of his players, though I think there is at least one better option. Which is not Lane Kiffin, although he apparently wants the job. Maybe USC.*

* I mean Fleck.  Calm down, trojanhorse.

the Louisiana State University 27, Alabama 24

I get that THE and PSU have not played the most exacting schedule, but have you seen Alabama’s schedule?  Saturday will be the first time they have taken the field against a ranked opponent.  While ‘Bama’s schedule is backloaded, LSU has played tough against a good, tough schedule.  Which is to say, I have a pretty good idea what LSU is, less so with Alabama.  I am Burrowing in with LSU as the God’s Conference champion this year.  So, you know what that means: Congratulations Alabama!

Note: I typed this before I read that the Divinity had intervened.  To paraphrase Richard Mulligan in Little Big Man, your puny fact is not worth the reversal of a Hairy Lime decision.

ClemSIN 52, North Carolina State 10

Of course, ClemSIN really has not played anyone either.  I mean… Wooford?  In something other than an early season practice game?  They cannot control the down year for their conference, but… Wooford?  What, St. Mary’s Orphanage was booked?  Anyway, I still expect ClemSIN to win it all in the end despite the absence of a real in season challenge.

Texas Christian University 35, Baylor 32

Methodists versus the Disciples of Christ?  I like what Baylor has done under possible future Seminole HC Rhule, and the decision to not schedule a power 5 team OOC – it has been a long standing problem with Baylor in the playoff era – has served the recovering program well. I am not sure this is a real trap game – Baylor should not be in the position of looking ahead to anyone – but they do have OU coming up on the 16th.  This is the week the last of the chaff separates from the wheat.

Georgia 31, Missouri 13

This is a possible trap game, sandwiched in between Florida and Auburn, but Georgia has already taken that shot to the gut, and…  Missouri has lost to Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Wyfuckingyoming.  I have been to Wyfuckingyoming.  Yellowstone and Teton are beyond gorgeous, but you can have the rest of the entire fucking state.  The drive out of it was one of the most horrifically dull drives I have ever taken, and I have driven I 10 from Van Horn Texas to San Antonio (or vice versa) FOUR TIMES.  I seem to have gotten off on a tangent.  Missouri is not very good.  Georgia is.  Enough said. 

Oklahoma 42, the Iowa State University 31

I think the playoffs will be, the God’s Conference Champion, the THE/the Pennsylvania State winner, ClemSIN and either Oregon/Utah or Oklahoma, though any loss by the last two teams knocks them out.  I think Oklahoma understands that and understands that the ISU is good enough to wreck their season.

Wisconsin 20, Iowa 10

Two things about Iowa: 1. Teams have a hard time scoring on them. 2. They have a hard time scoring on anyone who is any good.  Wisky was kicked in the teeth by THE, and stunned by Illinois, but they are still – outside of addle pated haters - a good defense, with a good, if conservative and ground based, offense.  Since I expect both to beat the Aureate Rodents, the winner of this game is the losing half of the Big Whatever championship game.

University of California* 31, the Arizona State University 21

I believe I have taken care of the unbeatens, the not lost yets and the reasonable shot at the playoffses. This will be a homecoming for Slovis, and I expect him to continue his growth.  Nights here are incredibly cold** – down into the 50’s – but he should be used to it.  Clay Helton is playing out the string;  8 – 4 and a trip to the Holiday Bowl is one thing if you are, say, Minnesota.  Quite another if you are USC, but that is where they look to be headed.

* Southern

** Clearly, a relative term.

Duke 27, Our Lady of the Perpetual Tie 21

I do not think OLotPT has much of an offense. Not that Duke has beaten any of the decent teams they have played, but I really want OLofPT to lose their way into a humiliatingly bad Bowl Game.  Like the ones we are competing for. I see no reason to stand being lectured on my grudges by someone who has repeated the “I got rolled by a guy wearing an OSU sweatshirt” excuse for his disheveled appearance in a New Jersey Turnpike restroom so often he has actually come to believe it.

Cincinnati 42, Connecticut 10

I assume we have already metaphorically circled November 30 on our calendars – and did so as soon as the calendars were printed - but circle the 29th also.  Cincinnati v. Memphis should be for the Gang of Five rep to the New Years Six.  Certainly, UConn should not stand in the way.

WtFU 42, VTU 17

Well, Woke may be the last speed bump on the ClemSIN coronation path.  VT is actually pretty alarming for my wife, a cardiothoracic nurse.  More so then they are on the field these days.

the Boise State University 31, Wyfuckingoming 10

I believe I have made my feelings about the State of Wyfuckingoming known.  BSU needs to keep itself in position to spoil the Cinci/Memphis dichotomy – two cities I have never liked though for Memphis that has more to do with the worst La Quinta I have ever stayed in and the huge stinking wet gray dog shit in front of the elevator that was still there (and had been stepped in) 45 minutes after I reported it to the front desk - especially if the winner gacks in the AAC championship game. I seem to have gotten off on a tangent again

« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:05:09 PM by Hairy Lime »

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 04, 2019, 02:53:04 PM »

El Capitan,  you are almost 100% right that I have not always been civil to your friend.  Once upon a time I was civil and explained to him in great detail why ND vs MSU in 1966 resulted in a tie.
After 50+ years he hasn't gotten over it, that's his personal problem, not mine.
As for the incivilty, you know better than anyone on Elba what a disagreeable fellow your friend is.
I hardly think you have forgotten that. But the exchange rate for insults between me and your friend run at about 10:1 in his favor.  And he is much better at the rude and crude trade with his STD humor and calling someone's mother a whore.  If you have a different accounting I would be glad to hear it.
Putting me on the same level with your friend would be the same as me equating you with JumboNut.  Which I would never in a million years do.
You and I can add this to our disagreement about the targetting rule. That's fine with me.
But you should know that I have never sunk to the level your friend has.
And, as I said, you know this better than anyone.

It wasn't a dig against you Deej not in any form. And though I tend to agree with you most of the time, it wasn't a fundamental defense for you either. More of an observation of the ongoing dissonance betwixt the two of you and its mutuality shall we say. Kind of like Skippy and I.

And yes, I know firsthand what a dick Steve can be. But then again so can I. I think we pull it off together quite nicely.

Stevie boy and I have had lots of dustups. In the long run I'm okay with ol Steve and I figure he's okay with me, we both have pretty thick skins. And thick heads too for that matter.
What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 04, 2019, 03:19:53 PM »

Joe Bachie is one of the 12 Butkus Award finalists. Somehow I do not like his chances.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 04, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »

El Capitan,  you are almost 100% right that I have not always been civil to your friend.  Once upon a time I was civil and explained to him in great detail why ND vs MSU in 1966 resulted in a tie.
After 50+ years he hasn't gotten over it, that's his personal problem, not mine.
As for the incivilty, you know better than anyone on Elba what a disagreeable fellow your friend is.
I hardly think you have forgotten that. But the exchange rate for insults between me and your friend run at about 10:1 in his favor.  And he is much better at the rude and crude trade with his STD humor and calling someone's mother a whore.  If you have a different accounting I would be glad to hear it.
Putting me on the same level with your friend would be the same as me equating you with JumboNut.  Which I would never in a million years do.
You and I can add this to our disagreement about the targetting rule. That's fine with me.
But you should know that I have never sunk to the level your friend has.
And, as I said, you know this better than anyone.

It wasn't a dig against you Deej not in any form. And though I tend to agree with you most of the time, it wasn't a fundamental defense for you either. More of an observation of the ongoing dissonance betwixt the two of you and its mutuality shall we say. Kind of like Skippy and I.

And yes, I know firsthand what a dick Steve can be. But then again so can I. I think we pull it off together quite nicely.

Stevie boy and I have had lots of dustups. In the long run I'm okay with ol Steve and I figure he's okay with me, we both have pretty thick skins. And thick heads too for that matter.
I got no problems with anyone. It is just that.your alter ego is a senile troll who could be replaced with a bot randomly spewing posts that consist of either witless insults, or "Right you are, cap!"

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: November 04, 2019, 05:54:52 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150games/the-150-greatest-games-college-football-150-year-history

In the newest installment of ESPN's yearlong initiative marking 150 years of college football, we set out to rank the 150 greatest games in history.

A panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these games from 202 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.

I remember several of them, and the usual suspects dominate the list, but a couple of outliers snuck through, and I was lucky enough to have attended #11 with my dad.

And boz one of your alltime favs is #20

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: November 04, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »

Harry Lime wrote:

I get that THE and PSU have not played the most exacting schedule, but have you seen Alabama’s schedule?  Saturday will be the first time they have taken the field against a ranked opponent.  While ‘Bama’s schedule is backloaded, LSU has played tough against a good, tough schedule.  Which is to say, I have a pretty good idea what LSU is, less so with Alabama. 

So should any pollster. We will see tomorrow if this year’s Committee will follows precedent and decides to enter each week with a clean slate. If so Alabama can win out and maybe have a case for the top seed.   But right now 28 of the 62 AP first place votes going to the Tide(21) and Clemson defies logic.  Especially when the other 34  are split evenly between LSU and tOSU who have both played tougher schedules.

CaptainCargo

• Yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: November 04, 2019, 06:17:54 PM »

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150games/the-150-greatest-games-college-football-150-year-history

In the newest installment of ESPN's yearlong initiative marking 150 years of college football, we set out to rank the 150 greatest games in history.

A panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players and coaches selected these games from 202 finalists initially identified by ESPN's Stats & Information group.

I remember several of them, and the usual suspects dominate the list, but a couple of outliers snuck through, and I was lucky enough to have attended #11 with my dad.

I haven't looked at the list yet Rich. But before I do if the 1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma game isn't in at least the Top 10, if not the Top 5, I will piss on this list and all that made it! LOL

What do farmers and the media have in common?
They both spend a lot of time spreading shit.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 04, 2019, 06:25:34 PM »

It should have tied....

Best thing about that list is that, by my quick count, we.are 2 - 0 - 1, while Methchicken is 1 - 6 - 1. And one of those games has a highlight I post on Facebook twice every year: on the anniversary and just before the MSU/Methchicken game. Jalen Watts-Jackson never has to buy dinner in Phoenix.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: November 04, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »

I haven't looked at the list yet Rich. But before I do if the 1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma game isn't in at least the Top 10, if not the Top 5, I will piss on this list and all that made it! LOL
Your threatened widespread mictruition worked its magic.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: November 04, 2019, 06:40:11 PM »

Cap-Lets just say that guys of a certain age will see some classic games from their youth and you won't be entirely disapponted.

But if you got go take a leak, I certainly understand, I feel like I piss all day.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 329